Computer Hardware Specs

• Administrator

Harware prices are increasing and falling week to week as new components enter the market. It is hard to say what will happen in 2020.

Of course it is possible that you will get a better deal 2020. PCs are getting better from week to week.

• Aerosoft

But there is no major new development coming online that will cause prices to rock as much as they did this year. With the new kick-ass AMD CPUs and GPUs combined with the complete new line-up of nVidia things are stable at this moment.

Do you think it's better if I get an Xbox for Microsoft's new flight simulator rather than a new gaming laptop? It's much cheaper, and price is a big constraint for me. I intend to use Microsoft's new flight simulator coming in 2020, and that is compatible with Xbox. But can I use my flight-stick with an Xbox? I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick. Also, will the addons be compatible with the Xbox version?

Thanks,

Rish.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

And though it costs more, certainly not 50%

Depends on whether or not you already own the periphery for a desktop computer (as I said and I guess the topic starter has it, although he prefers a laptop now...).

Take your Razer Blade 15, the very basic configuration with an i7-8750H, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM (2666MHz) and a RTX 2060 is already more than 2000€ (2149€). The i7-8750H is a six core HT processor. If I do a super fast assembly with comparable hardware (8700K, 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM, 500GB SSD, RTX 2060) including assembly and delivery and Windows 10 for example over at mindfactory, I can buy a desktop for less than 1500€. Easily. And mindfactory is not even the cheapest retailer...

But of course, if you then add a 144Hz monitor as the Razor Blade already offers, you will quickly be above those 1500€ and the price will be similar to the laptop. But with the advantage of being faster, more quiet and with a bigger display...

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking into a new CPU/GPU. What is the general consensus on this?
I will not do OC because I don't like fiddling with cooling but when it comes to value for money and say using A321 pro (which works ok now for me with current config).

I am thinking either 1660/2060/2070 (2080 is too much)

and. 8700k/9700f/9700k (i7 for now)

• Aerosoft

I think the general consensus is that AMD simply offers a lot more for your money at this moment. Check out any system recommendation on the major hardware sites and you see they all avoid Intel at this moment.  I just got a Ryzen 7 3800X and a Radeon RX 5700XT as upgrade for my main sim test machine. No matter how you look at it, getting that same raw performance using Intel and Nvidia would have cost at least $200 more. And since AMD solved the issue with games the Ryzen 2 is simply a very cost effective CPU.

Exactly what you get depends fully on the budget of course 

Aha. I need to check up that more. I haven't thought about AMD yet, I think it was that XForce channel that said there were some issues with AMD and XP11 but

maybe he thought about GPU not CPU? Have to check that again.

Not that I normally use XP11 but if I get that nice Honeycomb I might as well give it a shot again.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

The ASUS TUF FX504 Gaming Laptop has a 1050 graphics card bit a core i7 cpu so it might be better if you run complex aircraft.

Of course these machines will not run the sim at high settings but as they are build for gaming they should not thermo throttle too fast.

I do have exactly this with 3GB graphics card.

P3D 4.5 + ORBX everything and Aerosoft's CRJ on regional ORBX airport has like 15 fps in "medium-low" settings. On default airport 20 fps (SOMETIMES), on Drzewiecki's scenery - 10 fps.

AS Twin Otter Extended  in same places - 5 fps more than CRJ.

Honestly - I would rather spend same money on PC rather than this ASUS if you want flightsimming. For most other videogames - it's pretty cool, 30+ fps on Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Apex Legends, Assassin's Creed Unity, you name it,

&

Archived