Losing power mid flight

dizzy

Hello,

I'm really enjoying this aircraft, but have run into a major issue. Mid flight I'm losing electric power to my systems. I've been reading the forums and seems I'm running into the same problem as others. I'll be flying along and then lose power to my radios and lights. I have the generator on, and it's showing a charge to the battery and proper voltage. But then poof no radio and no lights. I can turn off the generator and then everything comes alive again. But now I'm running strait off the battery, so that doesn't last too long. I can turn the generator back on but then the power goes out again after a few minutes. 

I'm running on FSX:SE. Default flight is the standard FSX:SE one. I've also tried changing the default flight to the 172 with engine running and radios on. I've tried a uninstall and then a reinstall. 

Is there anything to be done? Besides flicking the generator on and off during flight?

Thank You,

There is a post dating back to June 2nd 2018, called Radio-Electric issue, where people are having the problem I'm experiencing. There is even a video about it in the topic. I didn't want to bring back an old post. There never really seemed to be a solve to their problem except maybe hitting ground power key. But FSX:SE doesn't have a ground power key bind? 

Are you flying online and do you have a Carenado addon installed? If the pilot client calls a Carenado model as AI model it will trigger Carenados copyright protection which in return kills your engine. Can happen with any aircraft you're currently flying, no matter which one.

Hi, 

I don't fly online, and don't have any online clients. 

I load the AN-2 from the main menu in FSX:SE. I'll try loading the aircraft from inside the sim.

Edit;

I've tried loading it from the sim. Instead of from the free flight menu. Default 172 at CYKF with engine running and radios on. Then switched to the AN-2. Took off and started tracking the Wellington NDB. And had CYKF ATIS on. After about 5 min, started to track the Brantford NDB. I would say after about 10 min total flight I lost the radios, and the lights in the plane. AMP showed a charge. And Voltage showed around 27v. Gen light was off. When I turned off the Generator, Gen light came on, Radios came on, lights came on. AMP showed a draw, and Voltage was about 24v.

There is a video on the other post, I'll link it here again. I know the video is from P3D but it's exactly what is happening to me.

Next step I guess try another uninstall - reinstall cycle?

On 8/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, dizzy said:

I don't fly online, and don't have any online clients. 

Something else to consider... 

If you have any of the Carenado aircraft installed as well as an AI Traffic program then it's still possible for the Carenado aircraft to be called, and that can create a CTD.  I believe some AI Traffic program automatically scan and add your payware aircraft, while others provide you the option of doing so manually.  It's been many years since i used such software as I always fly online.  Such AI Traffic programs would be Ultimate Traffic Live, My Traffic, and others.  If you have this type of software, then you can either remove/block the Carenado aircraft from being called by these programs, or alternatively remove the aircraft from your installation (obviously not the first choice) and then make another flight to see if you still get a CTD.

24 minutes ago, Hollandaren said:

I am now experiencing the exact same problem.. It hasn't appeared before but now I cannot resolve it. 

I'm very sorry to hear you're having difficulties.  Is this happening during the same flight, or are you experiencing this on different flights?  If you're able to reproduce this on every flight then I'm sure one of our developers might want to get with you in a Teamviewer session to take a look at this.

The problem seemingly dissapeared when I loaded the sim with the factorydefault flight (trike, friday harbor) and loaded An-2 from there. 

However one strange problem still persists:

It seems like there is a secondary Comradio on at all times. Even with the battery switch off, ATC still talks. I cannot switch the frequency of course.. 

Hello! 

I have tried today to uninstall FSX completely and reinstall from scratch but even then, after installing Aerosoft An-2 the problems still exist as before. Did I miss some files, cache to delete?

None of my other aircraft show any issues. I have tried stock aircraft as well as a few addon aircraft.

I did not have these problems with this product before but now I can't get rid of them.

Symptoms right now include: 

Incorrect flight model

ATC window receiving transmissions from when the An-2 is loaded even with zero switches on (no battery power). Turning on an-2 com as usual results in double transmissions received at the same time. This problem persists any time this aircraft is loaded. 

Avionics stop receiving power randomly after a while, turning the generator off makes them come back and vice versa.

All instrument indications show normal values. (Eletrical system, engine, pneumatic.) 

Hopefully we can work out a solution.

Regards

Mats

Hello again!

After some more testing I realized the following:

My perception of incorrect flight model was due to the electrical system receiving no power.

When I lowered the flaps, the flaps indicator moved as usual and I confirmed the flaps were set by looking out the window and through outside view. 

However, due to there being no power in the system the flaps weren't lowered in the flight model which confused me a lot!

I discovered that when "cycling" the generator to make the power come back, the flaps, when lowered, then effected the flight model. 

This flight continued and after a while the radios kept working without any cycling the generator. But when I finally landed a while later, upon coming to a halt I discovered that the batteries were discharged. When the rpm when to low the generator kicks out, then everything died. I confirmed through the maintenance window that the batteries were indeed discharged. 

I will add that I have had the sound bug which did play a second different flap sound (as reported by another user). Even now after multiple reinstalls of the product. I solved this myself by editing the sound.cfg in the aircraft folder. 

[FLAPS] did not specify a filename. So I added an2_flaps, the file which is present in the sound folder. This solved the problem for me.

Hopefully this is useful information. 

More testing tomorrow

Mats

New observations:

When letting the second inappropriate flap sound stick around I discovered the following. The operating the flaps as usual with power present both sounds play approximatly at the same time. (The second sound a little after.) When operating the flaps without power the first sound still plays and visually the flaps still move. After cycling the generator to make power come back, the second sound automatically plays. Now the flaps are actually changing in the flightmodel. 

Yesterday it felt like the problem with losing electrical power dissappeared after the batteries were discharged. (electrical systems running solely on generator power worked without problems.)

Further testing revealed that some behavior carries over from An-2 to stock aircraft. 

Loading a cessna after starting FSX: the master battery switch turns the radios off as expected. Loading An-2 after this and the earlier problems with Comradios being on despite no power appears instantly. Switching back to cessna (or other stock aircraft) shows that the radios are on. However turning off the battery switches doesn't turn off the radios this time, it only disables the possibility to manipulate the settings. Messages are still received on the set frequencies. 

I have made some new discoveries.

The main comradio on the an-2 translates to Com1 on the Cessna. Com2 is set to 118.00 by default on the An-2. 

Setting the "com" switch on the An-2 to the on position translates to Com1 and both on the Cessna radiostack. 

Flipping the com switch off on the An-2 translates to Com2 selected in the Cessna. 

If the radio settings I see being carried over from the An-2 to the stock Cessna are active while An-2 is loaded, it kind of explains why I always receive messages from that frequency. 

However it does not explain the bug with Radios not being possible to turn off, which carries over to stock aircraft. 

Neither does it explain why the systems lose power and come back when generator is switched off.

I hope all this information can help pinpoint where the fault lies. 

Mats

I've done a couple of uninstall and reinstalls. Nothing has changed for me. I'm able to reproduce the error every single flight with the AN-2. My current flight is the default 172 running while on the ground at CYKF. I've again set the default flight to the Trike flying over Friday Harbour. Both result in the same problems with the AN-2. I'm now at a loss. 

Is the AN-2 installed in the default location or a custom install location?

I seem to recall an issue on another aircraft where problems like this arose from an entry in one of the xml files "pointing" to a file in its default installation location.  Anyone who didn't use the default install path would have problems as the called file didn't exist in the location specified.

A long shot, to be sure... this does sound strangely familiar though.

Cheers,

Birdy

Could be? My FSX:SE is on my data drive. So I'll take a look when I get home from work. But I'm glad I'm now not the only person having this problem.

In reading everyone's comments the problem stated is something similar I've encountered from time to time.  Not necessarily with the AN-2, but with other aircraft in FSXA.

Basically it boils down to the default flight and how things are setup.  In my install my default flight is with the MS Cessna in a cold and dark state.  What happens is that with some aircraft when loaded the generator is not activated properly.  The aircraft will start properly and even the switches may indicate generator power, but after a few minutes I will lose power because the generator is not functioning.  The aircraft is basically flying on battery power which soon drains causing loss of electrics to radios, etc.

The best solution I've found is to create a keyboard shortcut to turn the generator on.  I think I use Shift+C (for current).  When you start losing power in flight use the keyboard shortcut and see if the power comes back on.  BTW, I also have keyboard shortcuts for the battery and avionics as a doublecheck.

Hope that helps.  Worth a try.

--WH

Archived