Pitching up and down in climb and cruise

tonyc

I am using the A321 Professional for the first time (used the 318/19/20 lots of times.

In the climb using autopilot and with Thrust Climb set suddenly decides to climb at a crazy rate and the speed drops until you have to disconnect the autopilot and manually fly it or stall!

I flew it up to cruise altitude and switched the autopilot back on but again it pitches violently at crazy climb ascents then tries to correct descending in violent nose pitching down. Totally unflyable.

What am I missing here? Never happened in all the Aerosoft Airbuses I have flown.

Any assistance gratefully received!

It is the 321-211 CFM version.

I will try the same flight tomorrow and see what happens. Also take a screenshot if it happens and post here.

Thanks for the reply!

Ok so I tried again today and was meticulous in my set up. Loading the 3xx loadsheet to get the fuel weight and balance correct then following the correct checklist procedures.

But once again as soon as I switch on autopilot it wants to climb the aircraft through the roof. If I leave auto thrust on and manually fly the route it will stay within limits. However if I manually take it right up to cruise then switch on autopilot again it climbs at 6/7000 ft/min then descends violently passing the cruise altitude and goes into high speed after which it pitches up passing cruise altitude again until it heads towards a stall.

I am at a loss to know what I am doing wrong. I flew the old Airbus series including Extended and never had the same problem. Obviously there is something wrong or I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help. Screenshots attached the first is in the initial climb after switching on the AP1. The second is where I have manually flown it to cruise (34,000 ft) then the third is what happens as soon as I switch on AP1 (or 2).

Please login to display this image.

Uggghh! I know what I didn't do! I can see it now in the screenshots!

I didn't hit the Alt knob and put it into autopilot mode!

What a prize *********! 

My mum said "Tony don't grow old it's no fun" and guess what? She was right!!! ;)

Yes doing the flight now and behaving perfectly.

I know the problem (apart from me getting old). I have used the Aerosoft Airbuses since the first version and this is the first one that (quite rightly in tune with the real world) requires you to push the ALT knob. The others were always preset. 

Bad habits!!! 

Anyway this thread may be useful when someone else does the same thing. I doubt I am alone!

Sorry to take up your time but thanks for the help anyway.

Archived