Recently we have seen a lot of codes used to unlock our products being offered for discounted prices. Almost all of them are bought using stolen credit cards. These codes will all be blocked by our systems and you will have to try to get your money back from the seller, we are unable to assist in these matters. Do be very careful when you see a deal that is almost too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Jump to content
qqwertzde

Real World Verses Sim Flying (Airliners)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Let's put it this way, I asked out advisory pilots to find me a YT video that showed a flights done on a sim that would get close to a pass on a check ride. They could not. Not even close. That will not stop us from trying out best!

I really appreciate the work you put in your models, and the A330 will be a day-1 but for me. Having said that: a few years ago I already asked you in another thread if it would be possible to share some of the comments that your team, or your advisory pilots, would have on a simulated flight on YT. It would be great to be able to learn what exactly we miss when simulating a flight.

 

I am not a real pilot and to me some of the YT flights look as real as it gets to me (except for the obvious lack of a co-pilot). I would love to learn what would be different on a real flight.

 

Thanks,

Peter 

Share this post


Link to post

 

2 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

I really appreciate the work you put in your models, and the A330 will be a day-1 but for me. Having said that: a few years ago I already asked you in another thread if it would be possible to share some of the comments that your team, or your advisory pilots, would have on a simulated flight on YT. It would be great to be able to learn what exactly we miss when simulating a flight.

 

I am not a real pilot and to me some of the YT flights look as real as it gets to me (except for the obvious lack of a co-pilot). I would love to learn what would be different on a real flight.

 

Thanks,

Peter 

 

I apprechiate why you would like us to point these mistakes out Peter, but I do feel that the person whos video we'd be commenting on might take it very offensive.
Therefore please understand that neither myself nor any other of our advisory pilots would actually like to comply with your request.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hey guys!

 

One of our customers had some questions for us regarding how things are done differently in real life commercial aviation verses how they're done in the sim.  He posted in our A330 Preview Forum, so with kindness and respect I've moved his post to a little better venue, our General Forums.

 

This conversation may well lead to numerous pages in this thread, because I'm sure many of you have similiar questions and many of our users here are real world commercial pilots, so I'm hoping you guys can find some common ground and have a wonderful conversation that will be enlightening for many of our customers.

 

Above are the first two posts on this topic (which our forum software placed above this, the original post I created for this topic...). 

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Dave and Emanuel,

 

I cans see your point. Maybe I should start to learn how to create YT videos with P3D and then give you permission to criticize at your hearts desire :) 

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, qqwertzde said:

Thanks Dave and Emanuel,

 

I cans see your point. Maybe I should start to learn how to create YT videos with P3D and then give you permission to criticize at your hearts desire :) 

 

Peter

 

We're working on some new CFD (Connected Flight Deck) coding, and hopefully it will be ready for flights by the end of August.  Flying with a knowledgable pilot would be the best way to learn my friend - nothing else comes close.

 

Best wishes.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I once had a flying lesson in a Cessna 172 for real. Of course I knew this plane through and through from the simulator, often flown it. However when I was there in real life with an instructor beside me, somehow I had forgotten it all. It made me realize that no matter what I had learned from the simulator, I knew nothing when it came to real life flying. The whole experience is just so different.

 

I think that's the main difference. You might do the very same thing in the simulator and in real life, but it feels different.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

 

We're working on some new CFD (Connected Flight Deck) coding, and hopefully it will be ready for flights by the end of August.  Flying with a knowledgable pilot would be the best way to learn my friend - nothing else comes close.

 

Now you got me seriously interested in CFD. I had an eye on it, but never followed through because I tend to decide spontaneously whether I want to simulate a flight or not. Is OVPA still active? 

 

2 hours ago, PatrickZ said:

I once had a flying lesson in a Cessna 172 for real

 

Me too. I prepared for weeks for it using the A2A C172 and was amazed just how close the A2A checklist comes to the real procedures. The instructor allowed me to do everything except operating radios and landing. The two things that I found most surprising where (i) it was actually easier to keep the plane at the right altitude and speed in real life; I guess the motional feedback helps a lot; (ii) In the simulator, I learned and practiced to keep my eyes on the instruments all the time. In the real 172, I intuitively looked out of the front window most of the time to check for potential obstacles, like another plane or birds. The instructor said that this was indeed how it should be done. I guess that instrument-focused flying mostly applies to jetliners cruising at 36000'.

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

I guess that instrument-focused flying mostly applies to jetliners cruising at 36000'.

 

The difference between VFR and IFR indeed.

 

Just like you, before my real-life flying lesson I used to be too much focused on my instruments when flying VFR. During this lesson I learned to let that go, VFR is navigating by looking out the window. Sure you can fly IFR, even with a Cessna as long as the instruments are there. But it's not very common.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PatrickZ said:

 

The difference between VFR and IFR indeed.

 

Just like you, before my real-life flying lesson I used to be too much focused on my instruments when flying VFR. During this lesson I learned to let that go, VFR is navigating by looking out the window. Sure you can fly IFR, even with a Cessna as long as the instruments are there. But it's not very common.

 

Even IFR you should keep your head out of the window. In class E airspace there can always be VFR traffic and even in C or D airspace there is a  good chance to encounter VFR traffic.

Keep in mind you still have to avoid that traffic if he's coming from the right, regardless of the flight rules. A 737 does not automatically have priority over a Cessna.

One of the reasons why my airline wants us to slow down to 220kt or minimum clean speed in E airspace below FL100.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...