Learning how to fly DME/NBE/localizer/visual approaches

Hi guys,

as I fly the Aerosoft bus only in europe and especially in Germany, most of the airports are equipped with ILS, which you know is quite easy to fly. But there are some airports in europe, that are only equipped with one of the named approach procedures. If I approach one of these airports or runways that are not equipped with an ILS, I always start to struggle, because I don't know exactly how to fly these procedures. I also don't know how to read the charts of DME/NDB, localizer and visual approaches correctly.

Is there any source of helpful tutorial for flying and interpreting the charts? Any youtube channel or website that helps me learn how to handle this? Any information would be great. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Julian

On 7/15/2019 at 4:08 AM, Meyerflyer said:

Hi guys,

as I fly the Aerosoft bus only in europe and especially in Germany, most of the airports are equipped with ILS, which you know is quite easy to fly. But there are some airports in europe, that are only equipped with one of the named approach procedures. If I approach one of these airports or runways that are not equipped with an ILS, I always start to struggle, because I don't know exactly how to fly these procedures. I also don't know how to read the charts of DME/NDB, localizer and visual approaches correctly.

Is there any source of helpful tutorial for flying and interpreting the charts? Any youtube channel or website that helps me learn how to handle this? Any information would be great. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Julian

Hello Julian,

It's great to see you following in the footsteps of many a flight simmer my friend!

I agree with Mathijs, CFD will be a great tool for this and many other flight sim learning opportunities!

I am in the process of establishing an Aerosoft CFD Captains Group, and these guys will come from different time zones and there should be one or more of them online to fly with fairly regularly.  They will be able to teach a lot about flight planning, flight planning tools, flight monitoring tools, how to find, use and understand charts, operating our Airbus, and flying on VATSIM, and so much more.  This will be more of a community than one time thing, with special CFD Group Flights, closed meetings with key people in flight sim, etc.  

We already have six volunteers for the Captains program, who are all very experienced Airbus drivers and VATSIM pilots.  I'll begin working with in the very near future, and we will hopefully launch this (make available for Aerosoft Airbus customers) sometime in September of this year.

In the meantime, I recommend you get a good Charts package, go through them, and use Google for anything you don't understand.  Flight sim at this level comes close to matching the real world, so any flight sim or aviation related websites and videos (of which there are a TON) not only apply, but will be very helpful to you.

I hope this proves helpful to you my friend!

Thank you guys very much. If I can, I would for sure take part in one of those CFD sessions. That would be interesting and helpful, no doubt.

I already use the complete Navigraph chart package. So charts are there. It would be very nice if you could maybe post it here when the group is ready for service. :)

Archived