The engine sound issue of the A3XX Professional

Meyerflyer

1 hour ago, Bigt said:

Mathijs, with all due respect, I do find it somewhat hard to believe that none of your staff nor any of the testers have experienced this years-old issue. Obviously many others, including myself, have.  I've also it seen it in streams and YouTube videos.

I've never had/heard this and I not only work very closely with our devs and Beta Testers, I have a private group of testers and they haven't experienced this either. As such, it really must be a system issue rather than being something with our files, and that makes it notriously difficult for use to troubleshoot.

One thing you can try is to recorrd (audio or video) and upload it here so we can hear what you are hearing, because we aren't hearing it.

Something you can try is to reset your Windows equalizer to default to see if that helps.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, there isn't much to record. If I start the engines the appropriate way (using the ENG Mode selector and fuel switches), take off, fly wherever, land, and park at the gate: once I shut the engines down, there is no "spool down" for lack of a better term whatsoever. I just goes from the idle engine sound to no engine sound whatsover instantly (both internal and external)

If I use Control-E to start the engines, as one of the posters above suggested in this thread, or save the flight once in cruise, close P3D and reload, then when I land, park, and shut the engines down, the sounds are triggered appropriately and I can hear the spool down.

I will try what you suggested.

Dave,  I took two videos on my cellphone of the issue and the difference is very clear. Do you have an email I can send it to? You can PM me if needed.

8 minutes ago, Bigt said:

Dave,  I took two videos on my cellphone of the issue and the difference is very clear. Do you have an email I can send it to? You can PM me if needed.

You can upload them right here in this thread (See "Drag Files here to attach) below when you type in a reply or you create a new thread.

• Aerosoft

The simple fact is that even if we hear a recording from a users systems it only tells us that is happens on those systems. We still would have not idea what to fix. We have a few tens of thousands of users who do NOT have the issue and according to my database 41 users who reported it. 11 of those reported that the issue was solved after the OS and sim were re-installed. 

Couple of things for those monitoring this thread.

Please, for the love of Mike, STOP POSTING THAT "MANY OTHER USERS HAVE THIS PROBLEM".  You don't know this, you don't have our insight or perspective, and speaking as someone who spends more time working with flight simmers than most people spend thinking about flight sim AND someone keenly familiar and experienced with statistics that statment is just pure nonsense.  Moreover, you guys should know by now that we care even if one person has an issue, and we always devote time to looking into user problems that originate in our code and often times we help solve user system issues that have nothing to do with our code.  So there is no need to tell us that "many people have this issue" as it does not change our response to an issue.

With that hopefully out of the way....

In page one of this thread I clearly demostrated that our code works as designed.  There are a few things which could cause this on your systems (again, there is no problem with our code).

1. Update Windows.

2. Uninstall and Reinstall your sound drivers.

3. If you're using a third party sound card, especially in concert with the motherboard sounds then you should investigate that as the cause. We can't help with that, except to say that many people using sound cards have had issues with P3Dv4.

4. If you created or modified the add-on.xml file for the Airbus, then that could be the reason for the problem and you're likely missing other sounds that you are not aware of.  Remember, our Airbus using sound files from TWO locations, not one.

5. You could have a systemic Windows issue that causes P3Dv4 not to be able to read sound files in some locations.

6.  Here is a really good one... if you have modified your sound equalizer or use software which adjusts this, you need to reset it back to default and see if the sounds return to normal.

7. Another really good one:  Some motherboards have settings which can affect sound playback.  Check to see if you have such a board (I can't tell you where to look in the BIOS) and change those settings if necessary.

8. If you use Realtek sound drivers, you go into the Realtek Advanced Settings and ensure that your sound streams are all divided.  Open the Realtek Control Panel, select Device Advanced Settings, and select the bottom settings for both Playback and Recording Devices.

9. For your sounds settings, ensure that you have 44100Hz or 48000Hz selected (the number of bits shouldn't matter, but I use 24 bit).

Of the people having this issue, please let us know which type of sounds drivers your system uses.  For instance, my system uses Realtek.

Hopefully something above will help you with this issue.

5 minutes ago, Bigt said:

Hopefully I did this right from my phone

Please login to view this video.

I'm not sure which aircraft type and engine type those are from, and it's difficult to just take the sounds without the video of the engine panel to reference the sound, but it more or less sounds normal to me.

Well this is from the A330. In the firs clip, I started the engines using Control-E as the workaround posted in this very thread. When doing that, once I go to the shut the engines down the appropriate shutdown sounds are triggered.

In the second clip, I started the engines using the Engine Mode selector and Engine master switches. When the engines have been started that way, when you go to shut them down, the sounds are NOT triggered.

The sounds are there, as you can see, but not getting triggered. The video on my iPhone has the panel, I'm not sure why it didn't upload any picture.

• Aerosoft

As said we have 30 users reporting this issue to use over the last 6 years where I am not sure if the issue is still open or not. (I will contact them to ask)  If there are more people we really like to know because the more reports the bigger the chance is that we find out what is different on those machines and then we might be able to find a fix.

23 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

The simple fact is that even if we hear a recording from a users systems it only tells us that is happens on those systems. We still would have not idea what to fix. We have a few tens of thousands of users who do NOT have the issue and according to my database 41 users who reported it. 11 of those reported that the issue was solved after the OS and sim were re-installed. 

I have a pretty darn decent PC from Jetline Systems. I'm running P3DV4.5 latest hotfix and everything is working well. I don't have this issue with my PMDG 747-400 nor the -8. I don't have this issue with my FSLABS A320. I don't have this issue with the QW 787. I don't have this issue with the Captainsim 757III. The only one I have this issue with is your A330 so I guess I'll have to just deal with it because if you think I'm going to reinstall the OS and entire sim just for your A330, which I do like BTW, you are out of your mind.

Hopefully others come forward and actually start reporting the issue because experiencing and reporting are two different things. I'm done with this now. Like I said, I hope it doesn't occur (on my system) in the FS2020 version. Have a pleasant day you all.

22 hours ago, Bigt said:

I have a pretty darn decent PC from Jetline Systems. I'm running P3DV4.5 latest hotfix and everything is working well. I don't have this issue with my PMDG 747-400 nor the -8. I don't have this issue with my FSLABS A320. I don't have this issue with the QW 787. I don't have this issue with the Captainsim 757III. The only one I have this issue with is your A330 so I guess I'll have to just deal with it because if you think I'm going to reinstall the OS and entire sim just for your A330, which I do like BTW, you are out of your mind.

Hopefully others come forward and actually start reporting the issue because experiencing and reporting are two different things. I'm done with this now. Like I said, I hope it doesn't occur (on my system) in the FS2020 version. Have a pleasant day you all.

First things first.  Swear in these forums again and I'll simply remove you.  There is absolutely not reason for that and it sets a bad example.  Frustrated or no, your other posts tell me you're better than that.

Though I might have missed it, I don't recall anyone recommending your reinstall Windows, there are other ways to resolve Windows sound issues that uninstalling an reinstalling the operating system, namely uninstalling and r3einstalling the sound drivers which I recommended, however....

I had forgotten about your experimentation with the Shift-E command.  This being the case, it may well point directly to P3D as the culprit. In fact, there are posts in the Lockheed Martin forum regarding engine spool sounds and a bug LM found with P3Dv4.4.  I'm wondering... are you one of those guys who only updated the P3D Client or otherwise did not update all three P3D components throughout each iteration of P3D?  If so, you'll need to uninstall each P3D component and install the latest version of each component.  Even that might not be enough to resolve the issue, a complete uninstall and reinstall of P3D may (as in could possibly) be requried to resolve this.

I'd like you to bare in mind that while you suffer from this issue, greater than 99% of our customers do not, thus assuming that you don't run a separate addon sound card or have some strange sound configuration and you've reset your equalizer as I recommended, then logic tells us the problem is specific to your system rather than with our code.  Let me also explain that just because another third party payware aircraft works fine on your system doesn't mean anything whatsoever, because we are still have the only airliner code that is native to P3Dv4.5.

When you get a chance, please answer my questions in the two posts I wrote above.  This will help me to help you.

As I have reported previously, the engine shutdown sound is intermittent. If you do multi-sector flying, it normally works for the first shutdown but then is hit or miss for following sectors. I am running th latest versions of all the products so there is an issue with the code initiating the sound somewhere. 

As a side, the shutdown sound for the A330 sounds like the A320 shutdown not a high bypass engine.

Dave,

Mathijs mentioned the OS and P3D re-install. As for the LM forums about the engine spool sounds, I believe those were about the known bug when switching camera views that would cause an engine spool up type sound to play. That was fixed with 4.5, I believe.

That thread goes back to 2015 which pre-dates p3dv4 so I'm not inclined to think this has anything to do with a Client-only update (which is what I did to answer to your question). It also makes me more hesitant to spend a bunch of time uninstalling and re-installing everything when my sim, aside from this issue with your aircraft, is working like a champ. Like the poster above me, I feel that this is indeed a coding issue. But I am not a programmer so if you say it is not, then ok (being serious, not sarcastic). Maybe Turbine Sound Studios can start looking at the issue again? I saw that mentioned in another thread but I don't know that I saw what came of it?

I do appreciate your help thus far.

This thing is weird... I do have the findings mentioned above: no shutdown sound most of the time after a completed flight, but always when starting from a saved situation in flight (engines running) or even when shutting down the engines right before taxi. Since initial release of the Pro version I did many re-installs (including windows os and all p3d components) and this never changed. It is only a minor inconvenience to me, I do love the busses and fly them almost every day, but I do wonder what the cause of this might be...

Best regards,

Tom

Hello all, I hope things are well with everyone. I too noticed that I have this anomaly. I hadn't noticed until last week when I was doing a longer flight and I was looking at these forums to pass the time. I actually thought the lack of spool down was due to GSX sound overshadowing the spool down. I am adding this to the board, not to complain or to be critical, I quite enjoy flying the Airbus, I use it the most out of all of my add-on aircraft, but to hopefully add my experience, hardware add-ons and what I have noticed in hopes that it may help in some way. I have tested this with all of the Aerosoft  buses and as well as the other add on aircraft I have several times. Unfortunately the buses are the only ones that this issue happens with on my system. I followed Dave's advice above and still no joy. The only thing that stands out thus far is I have the default state set to turn around and when the sim first loads the engines spool down as advertised every single time in the beginning as it sets the turn around state. After that however no spool down, I have started the engines and shut them down 20 times for each aircraft and it never spools down or after any flights. I cleared that default state and no difference.  I also have an intermittent issue on engine start where at around 6.5 N1 sound will cut out briefly and go back down to 6.0 quick and then start normally with sound but to be honest this has happened since I downloaded my first bus in 2014 so I figure it must be something on my end. One thing before add on AC's came with good sound I would download some TSS sounds and they had the same cut out issue for as long as I can remember, I always figured it was something I did, no saying its TSS just adding this as a possible clue. I have an older Logitech THX 5.1 surround speaker system, the only thing that has not been updated in a while, so I might not play nice with the new motherboard??

I am running a Prime z390-A mother board with Realtek S1220A high def audio on board. I have a ICore i9-900K CPU at 3.6 GHZ with 16gb ram on an m.2 128 g SSD for my flight sim only with a GTX 1660 TI. I have windows 10 64 bit home version 1903. I run Vox ATC, Active Sky and FScrew and RAAS pro, with REX 4 for texture and World wide airports and traffic global so maybe one of those systems are not playing nice since they all have an interest in the sound part of the sim minus REX. I use Saitek radio panel, rudder pedals and throttles and a thrustmaster T16000m for the side stick. (no added software for the Saitek's) I have a Dell monitor but the sound on it is turned off.

Everything is up to date, Aerosoft, graphics driver, windows update P3d and the buses. I can live with the lack of spool down, although now that I know its not there I notice lol, but I added this to this post in hopes it helps Aerosoft and others maybe pinpoint why this happens for a few and not everyone.

Take care

SS

Hello everyone,

I want to make it clear that I had tried all of the suggestions above by Dave. As I do use sound card and some equalizer settings, it was the first thing that came into my mind before I started participating in this thread. I also tried with my motherboard audio just to be sure and it did not help.

The only thing that I found interesting from Dave's suggestions was the P3D version and its updating process. I have updated P3D Client and Content to 4.5 (only scenery is 4.4) and then the "whole P3D installation" labeled only as "P3D Academic" in the control panel programs has the same version as the scenery part. That whole installation version only changes when you do full reinstall for P3D but even back in the 4.4 I had this problem (4.4 was a full reinstall). The reason why I did not report it that time was because I thought it was one of those bugs that will soon be fixed..

So, what I can clear up is that this sound problem cannot be something to do with the sound itself because I can hear it in some cases (when using panel state which has engines running). The problem is that the sound does not play in a particular case, which is when using the IGN mode in engine mode selector. That is why I believe the problem is there. But if not all users have reported it, does it necessarily mean the problem doesn't exist on their side, too?

What I would like to ask now is: Is there a way to get more information about what is the ignition mode doing? Can I for example enable logging that could log what is happening when I use the engine mode selector. As far as P3D content logging goes, it did not give any results.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I currently have the newest update for the Airbuses A318..A321

Thanks in advance

-Jan

Hi !

I've purchased the bus earlier this week and I am having the exact same issue with the current experimental version. Actually worse than that: when shutting down the engines, there's no shutdown sound but all the cockpit sounds disappeared after a 6 hours flight, the external sounds like APU or GPU were still alive though, but only from the external view. 

I've tried disabling/re-enabling P3D sounds several time with the Q key without success. I also tried to pause/unpause the sim several time I insisted on this one because each time I was unpausing the sim I could briefly hear the cockpit sounds before they were disappearing again, after pausing/unpausing many times it finally succeeded to get the cockpit sounds back.

I honestly never had any sound issue with P3D (other than the one we all met once that just need to disable/re-enable the sound with the Q key after a lost focus) but it could be a conflict with the way the airbus manages the sounds with the P3D sound engine under specific circumstances.
I also think that a windows or prepar3D reinstall will not help as I actually did a fully clean install last week and everything should be clean.
I am using a X570 motherboard with the latest realtek drivers available and my realtek settings are fine. Of course I've also checked the other tips which did not fix the issue. 

Another possibility: I highly doubt it could be the issue, but I tend to put some exclusion to the default windows antivirus to most of my P3D folders and processes to prevent any conflict, which I did not do yet as I've done a clean install last week as previously said. I'll be trying that tomorrow without too much hope but definitely deserves a try. 
Correction: The exclusion to this folder was actually already done.

Quite a weird one but also being a developer I luckily have quite a good knowledge of Prepar3D, if I can help in any way to spot the reason of the issue, I'd be glad to !

Hi,

New test today, same procedure as yesterday but instead of loading the cold and dark state at the gate, I kept the default turnaround state and I didn't had any sound issue on arrival.

20 hours ago, kmax59 said:

Hi,

New test today, same procedure as yesterday but instead of loading the cold and dark state at the gate, I kept the default turnaround state and I didn't had any sound issue on arrival.

I usually load the Default Turn-Around state but still have no shutdown sounds on arrival. How are you loading the aircraft into the sim? Do you load it from the scenario select screen or wait until you're in your scenario with the default F-22 then load in the Airbus?

I'm loading the 330 directly from the scenario screen.
I've redone a shorter flight today from a cold and dark state and got the sounds on arrival, it seems totally random for me.

Archived