Dear all,

I will buy a new laptop, because my current PC is already very old. It must be a laptop due to lack of space. I also want to have a portable device because I will work mainly with the laptop. Therefore, a slim design with less than 2kg is important. Nevertheless I would like to use Xplane11 from time to time in my free time. It does not have to run on high end, but I would like to have a nice graphics (high setting). I use payware planes from FFA320 and airports.

Iam thinking to buy the new DELL XPS (2019):

CPU: I7-9750H

GPU: GTX1650

RAM: 16gb 

Do you think I do have chance with this hardware to archieve fps of 25-30? 

Auf Deutsch:

Guten Tag, 

ich werde mir einen neuen Laptop kaufen, da mein aktueller PC schon sehr alt ist. Esmuss ein Laptop sein, aufgrund von Platzmangel. Ausserdem möchte ich ein portables Gerät haben, weil ich mit dem Laptop hauptsächlich arbeiten werde. Daher ist ein schmales Design mit unter 2kg wichtig. 

Dennoch möchte ich in meiner Freizeit gerne ab und zu Xplane11 nutzen. Es muss nicht auf highend laufen, dennoch hätte ich schon gerne ansehnliche Grafik (high Einstellung). Ich nutze payware Flugzeuge von FFA320 und airports. 

Die Hardware des DELL XPS (2019) ist: 

CPU: I7-9750H

GPU: GTX1650

RAM: 16gb 

Meint ihr ich könnte mit diesem Laptop für Xplane11 und meinen Gedanken dazu glücklich werden (ich würde gerne stabile 25-30fps haben)? 

• Deputy Sheriffs

While the spec in general are not too bad, there is a general problem with Notebooks and Gaming: Cooling!

When the Notebook runs on full throttle, CPU and GPU can get really hot and when there is no proper cooling, they will be throttled down, resulting in poor perfomance.

So try to find out whether there are reliable reports from other users using this notebook for demanding games, especially since the Dell XPS is labeled as "Business Notebook.

That's why there are special Gaming Notbooks. And there is always a mismatch between slim design/light weight and running software demanding high CPU and GPU usage.

I myself got a Lenovo P52 which is built to run with full power (I#m using P3D), but plays in another price range then the Dell and has no slim design and is not light weight.

I agree it's a bad choice because it's not a gaming laptop.

The first couple of minutes you will have good performance because then the system is still cold. However as it gets hot (systems always get hot during high performance such as gaming) it will slow down in order to prevent overheating. For example a 3 GHz CPU will suddenly limit itself to 1 GHz. If you're lucky your frames drop a whole lot, if you're unlucky your sim just crashes.

If you must run your sim on a laptop, make sure it's a gaming laptop. For example the Lenovo L340. The specifications might be less than that DELL laptop, but that's a laptop that won't throttle down and will continue running at full speed while you're simming. However if it doesn't have to be a laptop, I'd go for a desktop if I were you. In general, desktops perform even better than gaming laptops. They cost less and you're more flexible on your choice of hardware.

If you look at the specifications of that Lenovo L340 you'll see that it exceeds your maximum weight of 2 kg (it's 2,8 kg). This is for a good reason, that extra weight is cooling which is always the heaviest part of a laptop. That Dell laptop has sufficient cooling for office use where your CPU only performs at maximum speed for short times, with plenty of time in between where it can cool down. However for long-time maximum speed like gaming the cooling is insufficient. That Lenovo has a far bigger cooler so it can perform at maximum speed for a longer time.

• Aerosoft

20 fps is certainly possible but only with very low settings.  As others said, it might run okay for 30 seconds before it will throttle down to avoid melting. 

Check this list: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-gaming-laptops

Some very good laptops on there that are designed to run games. I have used the Acer Predator Triton 500 and I was blown away, I did not realize that things had progressed so much the last three years. The Alienware 17 I have seen as well and I loved that screen. But expect to pay $1500. 

Many thanks for the replies. 

Well, at least I would like to know, if I can resolve the heating problem with an external GPU maybe? There are some devices to connect with an external graphic card via thunderbolt 3. What do you think? May this be a solution?

• Deputy Sheriffs
11 minutes ago, Punktmutation said:

if I can resolve the heating problem with an external GPU maybe

Yes, but the heating problem with CPU remains!

• Aerosoft

Just found this about the new XPS... It even runs pretty hot when just watching video:

The XPS 15 can get a bit hot under the collar, but thanks to venting located in front of the hinge and along the bottom of the laptop, it's never uncomfortable to use in your lap. After 15 minutes of playing a YouTube video, the touchpad measured a cool 88 degrees Fahrenheit. The center of the keyboard reached 96 degrees, which is just above our 95-degree comfort threshold. The notebook's undercarriage was a warm 102 degrees.

Archived