Experimental - A321 fuel burn

IanB83

HI,

I'm just about to descend from Skiathos into Newcastle, I took off with15tonnes of fuel, and predictions are to land with around 4. Reaching T/D I still have 12tonnes...

Ian.

Check your fuel pumps on? There is an anomaly with the Airbus that if you don't turn the fuel pumps on, the fuel load won't reduce.  Most may not know this, but real world the fuel is actually gravity fed to the engines, and while the Airbus is not operated with fuel pumps off, the engines will actually work with them off.

Best wishes!

I’d like to say that I’m 99% sure they were on, but will do the flight again to make sure, sometime this week. However surely the fuel is still being burned either way...is this on the list to be fixed?

In fact this is actually a feature and not a bug. We left this small easter egg in just in case somebody does an incorrect fuel planning and does not want to divert.
Therefore nothing to be fixed here, it's there on purpose.

Surely there must be something else happening on your system that causes such little fuel consumption. It is definitely not normal and it does not seem like there are many other customers encountering the same issue which makes it unlikely (though of course not impossible) to be a bug.

21 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

In fact this is actually a feature and not a bug. We left this small easter egg in just in case somebody does an incorrect fuel planning and does not want to divert.
Therefore nothing to be fixed here, it's there on purpose.

Surely there must be something else happening on your system that causes such little fuel consumption. It is definitely not normal and it does not seem like there are many other customers encountering the same issue which makes it unlikely (though of course not impossible) to be a bug.

Beat me too it!

Yeah, lots of internal discussion about this one, and I think leaving it was a bonus decision. If someone is an purest type flight simmer, they'll know to turn the fuel pumps on.

The math doesn't add up on the latest A321 version:

Please login to display this image.

I started my flight (EFHK/LPMA) with max fuel, 19160 shown on ECAM.

About 2½ hours in, the fuel page shows I've used ~7700 fuel and EFOB shows 16300. EFOB should be ~11500, shouldn't it?

It looks like the crossfeed from the center tank is adding fuel and not removing it from the center tank. I just saw the FOB go up while the center tank is moving fuel to the wing tanks:

Yes sir, I was able to confirm this late last night and our Dev Team is on it!

Many thanks for being the first to notice and report this!  We truly appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Fragged^2 said:

The math doesn't add up on the latest A321 version:

I started my flight (EFHK/LPMA) with max fuel, 19160 shown on ECAM.

About 2½ hours in, the fuel page shows I've used ~7700 fuel and EFOB shows 16300. EFOB should be ~11500, shouldn't it?

It looks like the crossfeed from the center tank is adding fuel and not removing it from the center tank. I just saw the FOB go up while the center tank is moving fuel to the wing tanks:

Which aircraft version (A318/A319/A320/A321) and Engine Type (IAE/CFM) did you experience this with?

I saw it with the A319 CFM last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Same on me - A321 IAE. Pumps are on.

KORD to KLAX - 15,7 tons fuel

After 2h flight ECAM shows FOB = 12.680 kg - Fuel used 2 x 3.700

And during writing this post, the FOB is going up to 13.060 

Thomas

vor 7 Minuten, Tomfal sagte:

Same on me - A321 IAE. Pumps are on.

KORD to KLAX - 15,7 tons fuel

After 2h flight ECAM shows FOB = 12.680 kg - Fuel used 2 x 3.700

And during writing this post, the FOB is going up to 13.060 

Thomas

Here is a picture:

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello guys,

We have identified this issue and it should be fixed on the next experimental update. We apologize for the the inconvenience this issue is causing with the latest experimental update. Appreciate all the reports you gave for us :)

I can also confirm the issue with the A320 CFM. Currently I'm using the 1.2.4.2 experimental version in P3D v4.5 + hotfix 1.

In the meantime, is it safe to use the Aerosoft Updater to go back to the 1.2.4.0 stable version? or would that break something?

Somehow I didn't catch this topic - although I think I've encountered it as well.  My initial thought was that it was something I had done, namely modifying the aircraft.cfg and MCDU2c.xml to increase the capacity of the center fuel tank.

In the meantime, is it safe to use the Aerosoft Updater to go back to the 1.2.4.0 stable version? or would that break something?

24 minutes ago, wiss said:

I recommend waiting for the next experimental update.  Don't go back.

Best wishes.

On my current flight, I just experienced something very similar to this, but on the A320 IAE (not the A321).  Again, the GW, fuel burn, and P3D "Fuel and Payload" dialog all seem to be showing the correct numbers; it's just the ECAM and MCDU3 that seem to think the a/c is "refueling itself".

This is the first time I've seen this on the A320 IAE, which I use fairly often.  There is one thing I did slightly differently during this flight which may or may not be the cause?  Typically I fuel up the a/c by selecting "Load Instant" or "Load Fuel" (depending on how I feel like doing it on a particular flight) on the MCDU3 Load and Fuel display.  This time, I initiated fueling through the GSX menu and never touched any of the load buttons on MCDU3 (i.e. LSK 1R-4R).

Also interesting, after I noticed this happening (about a half hour into the flight), I disabled the GSX integration in the MCDU3 "Gnd Services" page and shortly thereafter the FOB numbers seemed to begin decaying as expected.  We all seem to be aware there are still some nagging issues with the GSX integration, perhaps this is one of those?

An example; note the time and the discrepancy between fuel burn and FOB:

Archived