Planning to upgrade to a new, faster PC to run my sim. I typically fly the Aerosoft Airbus A320 Professional. Will appreciate feedback as to the efficiency and effectiveness of this machine. Thanks!

Dell i5680-7813BLU-PUS Inspiron Gaming PC Desktop 5680, Intel Core i7-8700, 16GB DDR4 Memory, 128GB SSD+2TB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Recon Blue, Windows 10 64-bit

The only upgrade I would get is a bigger SSD so you can run both Windows and your sim from SSD. 128 GB is very tight and SSDs these days are rather cheap. With only 128 GB SSD space I guess you're only using that for Windows and you've got your sim installed on the HDD. That way your sim doesn't profit from the speed of the SSD. With a good number of add-ons installed you need a big SSD to run your sim.

Personally I've got a Kingston KC1000 960 GB SSD just for Windows and my regular software. Then I've got a Samsung 840 EVO 750 GB for P3D v4 and all of it's add-ons and last but not least I have a 2 TB HDD for storage (installers, movies and other data I rarely use but still want to keep). That Kingston KC1000 is one of the fastest SSDs around and goes straight into a PCIe slot. The Samsung SSD and the HDD are connected the old-fashioned way through SATA.

The rest of your hardware is all fine, nothing wrong with it. Doesn't need any update.

• Aerosoft

Yes indeed, prices of SSD's have dropped a lot.  But the actual speed of the SSD is of very minor influence for our kind of sims where the data loaded has to be manipulated a lot.  It's not like database work where it starts to count. Get the largest you can afford, ignore speed.

Archived