Gran Canaria Pro impressions

bradley27

I wanted to address some first thoughts on Gran Canaria Pro.

Firstly thanks for bringing this to P3D finally, many of us have waited a long time for this one.

The night lighting foremost or just the general look of Gran Canaria at night is rather interesting.

The daytime airport looks good but the grass between taxiways and runways looks strange (see daytime pic)?

It also appears there's no night road lighting at all with Gran Canaria island but this maybe because of this different approach to night lighting?

No trees other than the airport area?

Please login to display this image.

That's very weird looking indeed. I am also waiting for the developer to reply on that.

I haven't bought the scenery because I noticed that on the product page there is not a single close-up of the runway-taxiways-grass-vegetation

Hey guys,

Thanks for your interest and for posting!

Regarding vegetation, I checked Google Earth Pro and the scenery seems to match extremely well!

I'll wait for the developer to chime in and answer  your other questions.

Great to hear from you both!

• Aerosoft
12 hours ago, bradley27 said:

It also appears there's no night road lighting at all with Gran Canaria island but this maybe because of this different approach to night lighting?

Been a while since I was there, but at that time the roads were simply not lit.

I'll defer to Mathijs as I've never been there, but desert roads are often unlit as there is often plenty of contrast between the road and surrounding area at night, regardless of whether the road is concrete or asphalt. I learned that in the southwestern US and a briefing many years ago. Doesn't mean they can't be lit of course, but this might explain the real world area.

@mopperle has locked my new topic asking for screenshots as he said there is no need to open a separate topic. My answer is, why if its not replied to this topic? So, staying on this one,  can you please acknowledge if we can have more screenshots of the runways/taxiways/grass? 

• Deputy Sheriffs
16 hours ago, bradley27 said:

I wanted to address some first thoughts on Gran Canaria Pro.

Firstly thanks for bringing this to P3D finally, many of us have waited a long time for this one.

The night lighting foremost or just the general look of Gran Canaria at night is rather interesting.

The daytime airport looks good but the grass between taxiways and runways looks strange (see daytime pic)?

No trees other than the airport area?

Regarding your 3rd screenshot:

46 minutes ago, ComSimPilot said:

@mopperle has locked my new topic asking for screenshots as he said there is no need to open a separate topic. My answer is, why if its not replied to this topic? So, staying on this one,  can you please acknowledge if we can have more screenshots of the runways/taxiways/grass? 

In case you haven't seen them, there are screen shots on both the left side of the Product Page and in many other excellent screen shots in the original Preview Topic for this scenery (pages 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 have nice shots).  Hopefully those two webpages will show what you want to see.  Also, the scenery was done by SimWings, who is one of the very best scenery developers in flight sim.

With the above in mind, we want to show you want you need to see in order to make a decision on purchasing this product, so let us know if you need to see something else and we'll do our best to help out!

Best wishes.

Thank you Dave for your very kind reply. I appreciate very much your attitude. 

I have seen all product preview pictures both on the product page and the preview topic. However, there are no close up screenshots from the runway/taxiways and the merging of photoreal and 3d grass textures next to the runway/taxiways. This is a big part of the immersion as well as the runway markings. Given the price of the product I would expect more pictures on these areas. The screenshots available are low resolution and only cover the apron/gate areas as well as the island photoscenery. Because there is no demo option to test the product it is important that these areas are properly previewed or at least there should be a video trailer covering these areas too. From the current screenshots I can only guess what the runway/taxiway markings/textures/grass will look like, and I certainly don't like to guess when I'll place around 31 EUR. 

4 minutes ago, ComSimPilot said:

Thank you Dave for your very kind reply. I appreciate very much your attitude. 

I have seen all product preview pictures both on the product page and the preview topic. However, there are no close up screenshots from the runway/taxiways and the merging of photoreal and 3d grass textures next to the runway/taxiways. This is a big part of the immersion as well as the runway markings. Given the price of the product I would expect more pictures on these areas. The screenshots available are low resolution and only cover the apron/gate areas as well as the island photoscenery. Because there is no demo option to test the product it is important that these areas are properly previewed or at least there should be a video trailer covering these areas too. 

You are most welcome!

Okay, we'll see what we can do, but it's likely to take a bit.  Sorry in advance for any delay in getting and posting them, but everyone is working full speed on things right now.

Best wishes!

Cheers, got ya with the replies so far. So this is one persons opinion but if the island still has minimal or no street lighting on highways or anywhere for that matter which must be weird why does the island glow the way it does, wouldn't it be almost invisible at night to a degree? I just feel like its so over done and almost kills the authenticity off. I did notice Tenerife South released last week does this as well but it isn't as heavily done and it does feature a fair amount of street lighting around...I dont know if anyone else feels it just looks abit odd?

As i said though at the top, big Simwings supporter, held out for your version of TFS over the other 2 and thats been the case for alot of products over the years. I just want the best looking product you guys can give.

• Developer

About the night appearance: This is a very difficult theme. Unfortunately the user can make a lot of settings (like HDR) that has a huge influence on the brightness
of night textures. Also, not making it easier, LM changed the behaviour of the terrain night textures as well (and I guess will change again to make it fit better to PBR materials)
Technically: The island´s day textures are mixed at dusk/dawn and night with a "light" map, just containing some "lightpoints" and black. So there is no complete "night texture".
Since every individual uses other P3D configurations it could appear too bright, OK, or too dark.
I´ll suggest Manfred to make a more dark Light map for the Island, in case someone uses a "bright" P3D setting.
About "light" points following the streets: We found those very demanding to the FPS and also there a lot of add ons on the market just containing those lights.
When you have those lights in Tenerife, than those are from another add on (like ORBX) and not surpressed by an exclude. We´ll have a closer look, maybe we could alter or remove an exclude that hides ORBX streetlights in GC.

Thorsten

• Developer

OK, here we go.
I attached a zip file containing 2 new excludes that will NOT exclude ORBX streetlights and
a darker "Light map" for the Island in case it appears too bright (LP_PHO-Night.bgl) with your settings.
All files have the same names like the original ones, so please make a backup...

Thorsten

GCLP_TESTFILES_NIGHT.zip

Not to open a new topic, but why does this happen on approach to the airport? I have just came in from EDDK  and can see a lot of artifacts. It didn't happen when i first loaded the airport after install or when i load the airport from the start (last pic) . Thank you for your help.

Ivan

• Developer
25 minutes ago, johnny19 said:

Not to open a new topic, but why does this happen on approach to the airport? I have just came in from EDDK  and can see a lot of artifacts. It didn't happen when i first loaded the airport after install or when i load the airport from the start (last pic) . Thank you for your help.

We have seen this too, not only here in Gran Canaria. It seams to be in Issue in the PBR Material/Objectmesh handling, when Conditions (here rain), Scripting, Animations or something else are involved.

We have make all possible test  to find a solution or a workaround for that, but after 2 days we must say, nothing found yet. It look so far as in internal Bug in P3D 4.4 and 4.5 with this new PBR handling. We try to make a Testcase for LM and will discuss it with them.

For the moment you can only uncheck the PBR option in the GCLPConfig or refresh the Scenery via Wolrd->Scenery Library und just OK, then the correct display is back and this until you go outside the display distance and come back.

Thanks Thorsten, the exclude to get ORBX style lighting looks good actually so thanks for that. The islands night base BGL still looks strange; I think its the glow of yellow that engulfs the outta islands rim but thanks for posting an alternative all the same honestly.

(I dont use HDR lighting)

Hello sorry for my English since it is the translator's first thing I want to say that the airport is very well achieved very true to the real although it consumes many FPS the vegetation on the island especially in the mountains is very poor the mesh of the island is a pass that is They see very well the ravines and cliffs I miss more detail for example in the capital and more traffic filmed by the island and the night lights I do not like anything I have to tell you that I live in Gran Canaria and the island is very bright

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Bueno, Alex, si quieres que la malla, los objetos y la vegetación sean más densos, también significa que tendrás que aceptar un FPS más bajo. Simplemente estamos limitados por los datos que podemos comprar y lo que es lógico y razonable incluir. 

Hello the opposite I see it perfect the only thing is the night lighting, the mesh is perfect, thank you very much and sorry.

Archived