Autosizing P3D windows via SIMstarter ?

ChuckOman

Hi Peter -

Have been happily using SIMstarter for several years with FSX and P3D3&4.

Like many, I recently upgraded to much faster Win10 Pro system with 42" diagonal 4K monitor to run P3D4.4 in windowed mode.

Nice to be able to see  my instruments full size in terms of visual angle.

But now I no longer want to run P3D with fully maximized 16:9 window - need to reserve some space outside main P3D window to display charts and other apps.

So I usually resize the main window to nearly  to 1:1, and place it full height on one side of my monitor, leaving the other side open.

But having to adjust this after every  P3D launch is irksome.

Normally Win10 will remember a window sizes if you push ctrl key when closing.

And there are 3rd party apps like Zmove that will reset Win10 windows also.

If I launch P3D and other apps without using SIMstarter, they reposition properly.

But I find if launch P3D via SIMstarter,  neither the ctrl key method or apps like Zmove work.

Suspect that now that large format monitors are becoming popular, others may encounter this problem.

Would like to find a way to continue to launch via SIMstarter.

Do you think SIMstarter is resetting the P3D main window to a default position, overriding setting from last use ?

I've attached my .cfg file - I see [MAIN] variables for position, but not for size...

You know more than anyone about these variables, including undocumented ones.

Is there a way I can specify my main P3D window size and position using SIMstarter ?

Is that a feature that could be added in the future to help those moving to 4K monitors ?

Chuck O

Prepar3D.cfg

More: appears to me that when SIMstarter launches P3D, it is ignoring the [MAIN} Location=1282,5,3839,2115,\\.\DISPLAY1 entry.  Those coordinates correctly define top left and lower right of resized window that appears if I launch P3D directly without using SIMstarter.  How to enable use of this Location in SIMstarter ?

• Developer

The best is using the Diff-Manager to import this line to the Master ConfigSet. Does that work?

Maybe it's a good idea for a feature request...

Tried, but don't know how to get [MAIN] Location=1296,23,3863,2127,\\.\DISPLAY1

to appear in Diff Manager.  All I see is a line [MAIN] - Location=* .

Changing [MAIN] Location apparently isn't an option in Sim Config Mgr Display or Tweaks.

Is there a way I can get [MAIN] Location to appear in a way such that I can assign it to my profile ?

BTW what does the * in [MAIN] - Location=*  line indicate ?

Chuck

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Location= will be ignored. Looks like you've set this one once. Mark this line and click "Delete checked changes". After next Start/Close P3D the Diff Manager should announce this changes.

Yes, that changed the location default to the proper one.  P3D4 window appears properly after scenario launch now.

Thanks so much, Peter.  Great if you can set it to happen automatically in next release.

Too bad the way FSX/P3D panels are designed, the popup window sizes are all set in the panel files for individual aircraft, so if you change the main window aspect ratio as I did, the popup aspect ratio comes out wrong.  If this becomes a common problem now that more people are resizing, perhaps there is room for a payware utility that sweeps through and resets them all properly. (Just an idea!)

Regards

Chuck

• Developer

Hi Chuck,

thanks for bringing this up again. A lot of people struggeled at this point, it was time to handle it automatically. But v1.9 needs to be beta tested so this will take a while.

Archived