Iceland X and keflavik X

mackayw

I own both of these FSX sceneries. I no longer use FSX. I would love to use them in my P3Dv4 Scenery library, however the installer will only allow an installation into FSX . Is there any way to install it into FSX and manually move both sceneries into my  P3Dv4  Addon Scenery folder?

Bill

I just copied and pasted the sceneries from FSX (I maintain FSX strictly so I can download using older installers) to an "Aerosoft" folder that I created under the P3Dv4 root. There are two sub folders in IcelandX. Take the "Scenery" and 'Texture" folders out of the "Iceland X - priority 1" folder and add them to your "Iceland X"  folder. I ignored my "Iceland X - priority 2" folder. Add the "Iceland X" folder to your Scenery Library in the usual manner. Everything works well - except that I can't run the Aerosoft "texture tool" (as recommended in the manual,  prior to every flight). It probably does not recognize my new P3Dv4 location.  

Mathijs (I assume that you will read this):

Both of these sceneries work well in P3Dv4. I would strongly recommend that you update the installers to include P3Dv4. As there is no competing Keflavik or Iceland, I would assume that you would recover your labor to update the installers.

Regards.

Bill

I have become cautious about manually installing sceneries that were designed for FSX and/or the 32-bit versions of P3D into P3Dv4, I must say. It might work for some, but might cause problems for other users. I installed a few non-P3Dv4-native sceneries (like SkyHighSim's Belgrade and Tivat) into my P3Dv4 a few months ago and suddenly got an increase of CTDs even when I was flying nowhere near those sceneries. So I deactivated them, everything seems to be fine again since then.

I can understand the need for having a decent Iceland and Keflavik in P3Dv4 (and, as a matter of fact, I installed at least Keflavik into P3Dv4 a few months ago, so far without noticeable problems), but I suppose one should be careful about forcing those non-native sceneries down the throat of P3Dv4. I guess Aerosoft has good reasons why it usually does not support any third-party fixes, workarounds and patches for those old 32-bit sceneries that are not officially compatible with P3Dv4.

Prepar3D is very sensitive about installing FSX/Earlier versions of P3D sceneries. If you're lucky it works, but it can cause some errors, hangs and crashes too.

My question to Mathijs then remains. Since there is a need - why not fix the installer (rather than us owners having to "make" it work with an installer that is not designed to do what we want to do)? I would love to have an Aerosoft comment here>

Bill

supplying  an "official" P3D4 installer would imply an "official" P3D4 compatibility.

As the "code" is FSX/P3Dv1-3 there is a chance but no guarantee it works in V4 - I can hear the sh$tstorm going down on AS for selling that product which isn't really compatible .

BTW: I heard there is a new Keflavik in the making 😉

• Deputy Sheriffs

Jürgen is absolutely correct. So as simply "updated" installer will not happen other then the developr (which is 3rd party) guarantees P3Dv4 compatability.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived