Two Suggestions for a Great Aircraft

Is there a way to know how many hours I've spent flying this bird, because if there's a counter, I think I broke it.  First, thank you for creating such a cool aircraft to fly.  Thought I would offer a couple of suggestions for your consideration:  

1. The autopilot while on LNAV seems at times to chase the course line.  When reaching a waypoint, it doesn't seem to know that it's going to turn at the waypoint until it's right on it and then it reacts like it's a surprise and banks like an F16.  It's hard to imagine this is how the real CRJ autopilot functions, and if it is, disregard.  I wouldn't want to be standing up in the aisle as a passenger during one of those sudden banks.  If this isn't how the real counterpart operates, is there a way to predict the turns and avoid the sharp banks?  
  2. Though a regional aircraft, some of its flights are quite long (large regions, I guess).  If possible, it would be nice to have a simulated copilot that handles the throttles (notice I'm not asking for autothrottles).  

Again, thank you for a great aircraft, and for continuing to make it better.  I still think I was waiting for it longer than the time I've been flying it, but it was worth the wait.  

Dave

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 5:05 PM, David Vega said:

Is there a way to know how many hours I've spent flying this bird, because if there's a counter, I think I broke it. 

I don't know of any counter for the CRJ -- however, there is a freeware logbook program for P3Dv4.x that shows you your hours flown by aircraft.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:05 PM, David Vega said:

First, thank you for creating such a cool aircraft to fly.  Thought I would offer a couple of suggestions for your consideration:  

1. The autopilot while on LNAV seems at times to chase the course line.  When reaching a waypoint, it doesn't seem to know that it's going to turn at the waypoint until it's right on it and then it reacts like it's a surprise and banks like an F16.  It's hard to imagine this is how the real CRJ autopilot functions, and if it is, disregard.  I wouldn't want to be standing up in the aisle as a passenger during one of those sudden banks.  If this isn't how the real counterpart operates, is there a way to predict the turns and avoid the sharp banks?  
  2. Though a regional aircraft, some of its flights are quite long (large regions, I guess).  If possible, it would be nice to have a simulated copilot that handles the throttles (notice I'm not asking for autothrottles).  

Again, thank you for a great aircraft, and for continuing to make it better.  I still think I was waiting for it longer than the time I've been flying it, but it was worth the wait.  

Dave

I've never noticed the CRJ to do hard banks, but I'll let Aerosoft address that.

• Developer

I'm aware of the banking issue. It doesn't happen all the time, only during a specific internal mode change. I know how to solve this though. It will be fixed with the next update.

What would you want the Co-pilot to do? Set the throttles during cruise and descent to keep the aircraft at selected speed?

On 4.6.2019 at 19:57, Mace_RB sagte:

I've never noticed the CRJ to do hard banks, but I'll let Aerosoft address that.

Sorry mate but then either you don't find that the CRJ does do hard banks or you don't fly the CRJ ;).

It was reported many times on this forum that the CRJ struggles to hold it's CRS. I also reported this a while ago. IIRC I wrote that the CRJ does not seem interpolate/anticipate a CRS change between two WP. It should take into account CRS angle + Speed + Wind + Bank angle and if the WP is a overfly or flyby.

My CRJ seems to fly constantly very close to the WP, bank a little, realising "oh...it's not enough", bank hard while the new CRS get's overshot, mostly overshots the new CRS again then banks back to the other side to get on CRS...

I also made videos with this behaviour (also without wind component).

Vor 1 Stunde, Hans Hartmann sagte:

I'm aware of the banking issue. It doesn't happen all the time, only during a specific internal mode change. I know how to solve this though. It will be fixed with the next update.

I'm glad you still look into this. Thank you.

Vor 1 Stunde, Hans Hartmann sagte:

What would you want the Co-pilot to do? Set the throttles during cruise and descent to keep the aircraft at selected speed?

I think he wants exactly that (basicaly an automation to somethimes override the "hands on" throttle). Would also find such an OPTION useful.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:23 AM, GEK_the_Reaper said:

Sorry mate but then either you don't find that the CRJ does do hard banks or you don't fly the CRJ ;).

It was reported many times on this forum that the CRJ struggles to hold it's CRS. I also reported this a while ago. IIRC I wrote that the CRJ does not seem interpolate/anticipate a CRS change between two WP. It should take into account CRS angle + Speed + Wind + Bank angle and if the WP is a overfly or flyby.

My CRJ seems to fly constantly very close to the WP, bank a little, realising "oh...it's not enough", bank hard while the new CRS get's overshot, mostly overshots the new CRS again then banks back to the other side to get on CRS...

Note what I said, that I, "haven't noticed" it happen, not that it doesn't happen.  Important distinction...

And I'm glad you have reported it on the forum and have done this type of extensive research.  It can only make a product better.

I'll continue to fly the CRJ and pay more attention to how it behaves around waypoints. Thanks

• Developer

Usually it doesn't. It really depends on the intercept angle and speed. The localizer beam only has a certain width, so if you try to intercept from a 90 degree angle at 250, the aircraft will overshoot. As far as I remember, Alexander told me that 210 knots at an angle of 30 degrees would be considered normal.

Thank you! I also noticed that autopilot finds it very hard to stay on the course using radio VOR navigation (when I fly arrivals or departures without FMC).

I notice this happens as well.  I fly the real aircraft and it smart turns using a method similar to what GEK describes above.  The faster you are flying and the larger the turn the earlier it starts its turn. It doesn't however do this in green needles and Han's is correct, You need to be very careful with your intercept speed.  The real airplane will blow through the loc all the time if you are going faster than 210 with too great an intercept angle.  My rule of thumb is to be at flap 8 and 180kts for a reliable intercept and capture.  Also try flying the SSTIK 4 SID off runway 1L at KSFO.  For me it makes the left turn at SSTIK and instead of doing the 180 and heading straight to the next waypoint it continues doing 360's over SSTIK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 2:55 AM, Hans Hartmann said:

Hans,

Simply have the copilot keep a set speed during cruise.   Thank you for a great jet.  

Archived