Spot the difference

wingman5

13 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

More worn and dusty looking if ya' ask me.  Cool.

--WH

Really Warhorse? ….. you must still be wearing your blinkers 😏

D

Ah, sorry.  Forgot to clean my glasses.

Seems to be quite a bit of difference starting with the gunsight.  And I don't see the airspeed ribbon, unless its covered.  Somewhat similar to the F53.  Is this an upcoming new model??

--WH

20 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

Ah, sorry.  Forgot to clean my glasses.

Seems to be quite a bit of difference starting with the gunsight.  And I don't see the airspeed ribbon, unless its covered.  Somewhat similar to the F53.  Is this an upcoming new model??

--WH

It is of course the F2A cockpit … ….( I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms :O)………… and just about everything is different . only the seat and stick seem to be constant !

Still looking for info on the PAS gunsight , so if anyone has the weapons manual for the F1/2 it would be much appreciated.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:05 PM, wingman5 said:

…. only the seat and stick seem to be constant ! …..

The stick isn't a constant, either. Nosewheel steering on the F2/F2A variants...….

Dave

1 hour ago, dhazelgrove said:

The stick isn't a constant, either. Nosewheel steering on the F2/F2A variants...….

Dave

You sure about that  ?  the  nosewheel steering was selected by a pushbutton which is present on all marks .

My 19 sqn rigger  guru  tells me that although proposed,  nosewheel steering was never implemented .

Everything I've ever read on the Lightning tells me that the F2/F2A had nosewheel steering implemented.

Why else would the selector button be present?

Dave

18 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

Everything I've ever read on the Lightning tells me that the F2/F2A had nosewheel steering implemented.

Why else would the selector button be present?

Dave

To the best of my knowledge the P1 was the only lightning that had n/w steering. If you google Lightning nosewheel and compare all the different marks you will see they are all the same. (except for the P1 which is totally different )

I have the pilots notes and FR cards for the F2A and there is no mention of n/w steering , only differential breaking..

I guess the button was left in , in  case they ever decided to use it … rather like the rocket battery switches !

D

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:05 AM, wingman5 said:

It is of course the F2A cockpit … ….( I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms :O)………… and just about everything is different . only the seat and stick seem to be constant !

Still looking for info on the PAS gunsight , so if anyone has the weapons manual for the F1/2 it would be much appreciated.

Soooo...  what's the plan?  In other words, where are you going with it - part of an upcoming cockpit mod?  Just curious.  Hate to see one's good work not put to good use.  :<)

--WH

8 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

Soooo...  what's the plan?  In other words, where are you going with it - part of an upcoming cockpit mod?  Just curious.  Hate to see one's good work not put to good use.  :<)

--WH

Hi WH

It is still very much a WOP, so a lot depends on whether or not I can get the info on the PAS.

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a package of the F1A and F2 / 2A with  the 4 gun fit and all the  improvements the T5 and F6/53 have gained along the way.... but it's early days yet .

D

I remember back in the day when the F3 got released and you said there would be no tubs.... then we got the F6...… then the tubs..... THEN the F.53.... anyone would think you get bored easily ;) 

C.

22 hours ago, TheCameronPerson said:

I remember back in the day when the F3 got released and you said there would be no tubs.... then we got the F6...… then the tubs..... THEN the F.53.... anyone would think you get bored easily ;) 

C.

Well, I was getting withdrawal symptoms so needed a fix ….:0) 

I honestly didn't think I had enough info to model the T5 and F53 initially , but over time I have garnered enough ( and made contact with the guys that own cockpits ) to do them , likewise with the F2 . 

D

Perhaps you could try either on Facebook the Lightning Appreciation Group, there are some F1/F2/F2A pilots there.

Failing that RAFM Hendon may be a good option?

1 hour ago, peter197 said:

Perhaps you could try either on Facebook the Lightning Appreciation Group, there are some F1/F2/F2A pilots there.

Failing that RAFM Hendon may be a good option?

Hi Peter

I'll be at Brunters later this month with the LPG,  so I'll be quizzing  Dennis Brooks and John Ward ( they are used to my  cross examination  😊) so I 

may get some info … but it's relying on 40 year old memories ….. nothing beats having the AP . Hopefully the guys that own F2 cockpits will also be there so I can twist their arms as well. 

D

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, TheCameronPerson said:

Been a bit quiet on here of late....

Any luck with the F2.A weapons manual @wingman5?

Aye , I thought everyone must be on holiday !

Nothing was forthcoming on the F2A weapons system from the Bruntingthorpe meet ….. the pilots were too hazy in their recollections , but I have managed to get hold of a tactical manual for the Sea Vixen ( uses the same Attack Sight as the F1 and 2 ) It's not nearly as comprehensive as the RAF AP's but it gives me a better understanding.

Now of course PBR has to be considered  ( it stands for Pain in the Bloody Rectum :0). ….. whole new learning curve .

Dave

Will be excited to see progress on the F2A.

As a specific variant would there be refinements on engine performance etc? Like slightly longer ranges due to the older Avons?
Peter

22 hours ago, peter197 said:

Will be excited to see progress on the F2A.

As a specific variant would there be refinements on engine performance etc? Like slightly longer ranges due to the older Avons?
Peter

Hi Peter 

Nothing much to show as yet … still trying to beat this PBR into submission...., for a system that has "metalness" as one of its parameters a decent ally is proving hard to get.  :0), 

If you check the .cfg you'll see the  Avon 210 is already dialled in.

D

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone wants to keep themselves occupied with their own Lightning project I see that the AALO have put up for sale the T.55 that they've been using as a source of parts for XS422 - anyone want to go in for halves with me??….. ;)

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Lightning422/ (posted on June 22nd)

• 7 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 4:34 PM, peter197 said:

I was just wondering, has any progress been made on the F2/F2A cockpits?

Hi Peter

I've put the F2/2A  onto a back burner . My intention was to  release it grouped  with an updated  F3 , but with the advent of PBR textures in P3d  that would involve just too much work , especially as the PBR polished metal textures  don't look quite right , and I suspect LM will be making changes ( at least I hope so)

Dave

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, DavidA said:

Is there any chance of just getting the cockpit done?  Would be interesting to see the differences

Hi Dave

It so happens , I started back into it just yesterday !

Hold up is the PAS gunsight , I have to figure a way to implement and control the ranging diamonds ,  It's a twistgrip on the No1 throttle on the real thing.

Dave

Archived