CATIII Autoland...slamming onto the runway

Earlier I was able to try a CATIII autoland in JFK because the wx definitely calls for it. Landed on rwy 04R with a good headwind, and light-moderate gusts. I was expecting a more graceful touchdown on FLARE mode, but it just dropped onto the runway, and I got a printout for a hard landing. I will try to do another one now, maybe several, and post a video here if it's the same results everytime. I understand that autoland should be somewhere in the -300~400 zone, a firm landing, but the AP behavior seems more of a controlled crash.

Autoland is designed to safely land the aircraft on the runway AND get it stopped before the end of the runway.   It will never be as smooth as hand landing regardless of aircraft.  That, among other reasons, is why it is only used in real life when needed.  The best way to make autolands smooth is NOT to do them.  When you have to the weather sucks anyhow so be amazed you made it!

• Deputy Sheriffs

I remberer one Autoland IRL (Shiphol some years ago) on a E190 as a passenger and it was a real hard landing. The cockpit crew even announced that they will do an autoland due to bad weather and it might be hard.

Archived