A321 6.5 Hour Flight

blocks_off

Hi All,

I see Thomas Cook fly the A321 from Manchester to Gambia which I understand is a none stop flight (MT1006)

I wonder how this is achieved when taking into account fuel required and the capacity of a 321 so I planned this route in PFPX, loaded the maximum fuel that the 321 would take and had a ZFW of 66tons.

I tried this in the sim, noting I used 18.5 tons and my flight time was 06.36. I landed with about 600kgs left! - landing with such a small amount of fuel is the main question here for me. There were some significant head winds on route. I performed step climbs during the flight.

Anyone with any input into this I'd be interested to hear. 

Pilots - assume a crew change would be necessary on this sector ? I think the longest flights where I've seen the same pilots go there and back are UK to Hurghada.

Thanks

Carl

TCX probably employs the optional additional fuel capacity which is not modeled by default with the Airbus Pro.

There is a workaround for this - this is technically for the 32-bit version, but I've been using it to date with the 64-bit version with no apparent ill effect.  Of course, your mileage may vary...

Absolutely! 

Not only that, but different carriers use different seat capacities, and have other smaller changes which may affect this.  Bottom line is the same aircraft type can be different from carrier to carrier and even inside one carrier's fleet.  Our Airbus is modeled after one particular aircraft.

Best wishes!

Indeed like people already said earlier on there are different fuel tank configurations available for the real aircraft when you order it from Airbus.

Holiday carriers like Thomas Cook, but also many US airlines have those installed to fly those long flights.

Unfortunately our reference aircraft we used during development didn't have them and while it was easy to find out the additional tank capacity there was just no information available about how it works in the background.

Therefore it is possible to overload our Airbus using the methods already described here. But please note that this is not officially supported so if you run into issues the first step we will ask you is to remove that mod again.

Archived