ND Log could not be created?

CDreier

14 minutes ago, CDreier said:

This morning the same message appeared.  "ND LOG could not be generated".  OneDrive is off my computer.  Norton Security bypasses the entire Documents folder.  Where do we go from here?

Norton's has different types of scans which occur at different times / for different reasons.  As such, it's possible that you omitted a directory (Example: Documents folder) for one type of scan and not the others.  If memory serves there are three different areas of Nortons in which you'll have to omit a folder.  Also be sure that sub-folders are also omitted from scans (I believe there is a check box for this in each of the Nortons settings).  The best way to ensure that Norton's hasn't quarantined any of the Airbus files is to check the Quarantined files to

• Deputy Sheriffs

And as Dave said, there are 2 different type of scans where you have to exclude certain folders:

Open Norton, go to Settings, Antivirus, Scans and Risks and there exclude all sim related folders (P3D, Documents) in the section "exclude from Scans" and "Exclude from Auro-Protect, Sonar...".

We will get this figured out!  Fully deleted the two versions of Airbus Professional and then reinstalled them.  All works fine once again.  Then double checked DropBox - the program itself is uninstalled and removed from the registry.  However, some remnants remain within AppData\Local that can't be removed.  I don't believe that would be a problem.

Once again checked Norton to make sure the Prepar3d v4 Add-on folder is not being scanned.  It is not.  I checked Quarantine and there is nothing.  Then did a full system scan and found nothing anywhere on my computer (see attached).

Final thought is that I use iDrive to backup segments of my computer offline.  Among those files being backed up are those within the folder mentioned above.  I have excluded all folders within Documents including Prepar3d v4 Add-ons for the time being.  I don't know if this could be the problem but we're looking at everything.  Any thoughts?  I'll let you know what tomorrow brings.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just realized that the topic was in the completely wrong section, so I moved it.

And did you configure Norton to exclude in these 2 areas:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the language in the Norton screen shot.  Everything was fine until just a few minutes ago when the ND Log error reappeared.  Could Dropbox be the problem?  Also, iCloud a possibility?  This is truly baffling. 

3 hours ago, CDreier said:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the language in the Norton screen shot.  Everything was fine until just a few minutes ago when the ND Log error reappeared.  Could Dropbox be the problem?  Also, iCloud a possibility?  This is truly baffling. 

Here it is in English.

ICloud?  Not sure, but I wouldn't think so.  Same goes for Dropbox.

I trust we haven’t given up on finding the cause and solution.  However I’ve devoted the last several days trying to track this down in earnest. I’ve done everything suggested including the removal of OneDrive.  I’ve moved my Add-ons folder from Program Files (x86) to Documents/Prepar3d v4 Add-ons/ even going so far as deleting all my add-on scenery and reinstalling some of it in the new directory.  I’ve checked and double checked Norton Security to assure all the potential files are excluded and did a full system scan and assured nothing has been flagged or is in Quarantine. Norton shows things clean as can be.  I’ve removed the Prepar3d v4 Add-ons from online backups.  I’ve checked to make sure there are no double entries for the two Aerosoft Airbus Professional installations.  In essence, I’ve done all I can think of!

What  baffles me is that this has been going on for months - it’s only now that I’m going after it in earnest.  It has been happening since before I did a new, totally clean install of P3d  v4.4 (including deletion of the ancillary folders in hidden directories, etc.).  I awaited the install of V4.5 until LM released the update.  The versions of the A320’s are the new, latest versions now completely uninstalled and reinstalled several times!

I realize only a few of us are having similar problems with this add-on.  But I’ve been flightsimming since before Microsoft ever entered the game.  For well over a decade not a single add-on has had a problem like this, whether scenery or aircraft.  I’ve got a hanger full of aircraft, some poorly modeled and some quite good or even excellent considering the state of the industry and its limitations.  I dare say I’ve spent $ thousands on this hobby.  But the summary is this is so perplexing that I may have to abandon the A300 series from Aerosoft.  I don’t give up easily but there has to be a reason we can’t get this product to fit in the scheme of things, for at least some of us.

Let’s keep trying a bit longer before we call it unsolvable.

• Aerosoft

Have you tried disabling all logging? That will not solve the misconfiguration on your system but it might hide all the effects.

In the end, this really is not a problem of the add-on. The add-on tries to write log files in an absolutely normal location. But ever since MS started mixing up local storage with Cloud storage we see systems where this is hopelessly messed up. We bitterly complained (as thousands of developers did) to MS but they claim the users' systems are 'incorrectly configured' and advice a clean install of the OS as always. But the error is one from the OS, not the add-on.

Just now, Mathijs Kok said:

Have you tried disabling all logging? That will not solve the misconfiguration on your system but it might hide all the effects.

In the end, this really is not a problem of the add-on. The add-on tries to write log files in an absolutely normal location. But ever since MS started mixing up local storage with Cloud storage we see systems where this is hopelessly messed up. We bitterly complained (as thousands of developers did) to MS but they claim the users' systems are 'incorrectly configured' and advice a clean install of the OS as always. But the error is one from the OS, not the add-on.

If you want to discuss this with MS (more people should) you need to tell them an application with Administrative rights is not allowed to write in what is essentially the default users folder. It's Windows that prevents this because it believes this is not the users' folder.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Mathijs, all logging is and has been disabled (I assume you mean in the Airbus configurator).  At this point I have once again reinstalled the two Airbus Professional series but expect the problem to show itself again within a day or so.  It does seem we've exhausted everything short of a Windows 10 reinstall which I'm not about to do, partially because that would not solve the situation long term.  I will post here if and when the ND Log error reappears but won't expect answers.  If this is a Microsoft OS problem we'll just let it go (as far as I know Cloud storage is disabled on my system).  But again I wonder what makes the Aerosoft product susceptible to a operating system flaw when nothing else (flight sim or otherwise) is affected.  I do hope you'll keep this thread open so we may one day find the answer.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

On 2.6.2019 at 22:19, CDreier sagte:

What I did find today is that I had two user names, one of which was very old and did include an App Data entry for P3D.  I deleted that folder and old user name....

Hello CDreier,

Because of "....is that I had two user names, one of which was very old and did include an App Data entry for P3DI deleted that folder and old user name...."

Please read next ...

Folder-in-windows-has-lost-all-permissions

How-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

There are two types of permissions: explicit permissions and inherited permissions.

• Explicit permissions are those that are set by default on non-child objects when the object is created, or by user action on non-child, parent, or child objects.

• Inherited permissions are those that are propagated to an object from a parent object. Inherited permissions ease the task of managing permissions and ensure consistency of permissions among all objects within a given container.
    • Inherited Deny permissions do not prevent access to an object if the object has an explicit Allow permission entry.
    • Explicit permissions take precedence over inherited permissions, even inherited Deny permissions.

By default, objects within a container inherit the permissions from that container when the objects are created. For example, when you create a folder called MyFolder, all subfolders and files created within MyFolder automatically inherit the permissions from that folder. Therefore, MyFolder has explicit permissions, while all subfolders and files within it have inherited permissions.

More here : Enable-disable-inherited-permissions

Example:

however i thought of another idea. Since it keeps resetting it, you will just make a scheduled task to apply at startup that resets the permissions.

Run cmd with admin rights. (set the correct folder in below example) Mine folder is - "C:\Users\drethox7\Documents\Aerosoft\General\A3XX TerrOnND"

icacls c:\users\public\desktop /grant Everyone:(CI)(F) /t /l /q

Cheers

Thomas

I get this error only when I update the AIRAC database with Navigraph - even with the Navigraph box checked on the configuration tool. I'm thinking that it's a navigation database issue. Which one are you using?

I've got a clean install, no anti-virus (brand new computer with no bloatware), and everything is installed where it should go. I keep checking all the folder routes and everything checks. Is it an AIRAC database issue? 

Would you please check the Documents/Aerosoft/General/NavDataPro folder abd see if the default NavDataPro Airac data is there and complete? I'm on travel so the folder name Ive provided might be a little different than I've listed. Maybe take a screen shot of the folder contents for us? Having the data missing or corrupted would cause this issue.

Best wishes.

Here is the default NavData folder. I got tired of re-installing the airbus, so I haven't tried to update the Navigraph AIRAC since the 6th time.

I believe that this is it. The Navigraph folder is found under General/A3XX Navigraph.

I also get a ND terrain error, does it have something to do with the terrain file in the general/TerrOnND folder?

Well, here I am again. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it under the Prepar3d addons folder. I did one flight with the A320 and today I initiate a flight with the A319 and I'm getting this issue again. I'm so tired going back and forth with these aircraft. Please any other suggestions needed, thanks. 

43 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Installing it again will most certainly not change anything. The simple fact is that the current user has no rights for that folder. That is a limitation the OS puts, not the add-on.

Mathijs I have full control to the folder but your right the OS may be putting some limitation on those folders. I got it working last night by deleting the A3XX TerrOnND folder and uninstalling just the A318-A319 and I didn't get the error. It was very strange the log found the file but said (addoncfg == false). 

• Aerosoft

No the solution is to make sure the user (not the add-on) has the rights to write to that folder. Again, this has nothing to do with the add-on, it is rights issue. 
See this: https://windowsreport.com/access-is-denied-windows-10/

But with OneDrive Microsoft made a solid mess of things....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived