Manchester 5.72gb?

I'm pretty new to Xplane but I did (via Steam) buy Manchester yesterday. I've bought some of your other sceneries so I was a little perplexed to see that Manchester is nearly 6 gb when installed on the my drive. I know that the scenery comes with seasonal variations and the Orthos and Options files make up the vast majority of the size. If I'm not interested in anything but the default Xplane season can I safely erase any of the folder contents and save myself some disk space?

Much as I love EGCC 5.72 gb is  lot of disk space. 

• Administrator

Hello hartson,

the big space comes from the "orthos" folder with all the orthofotos for the seasons.

In this ortho folder I think, you can delete the seasons you don't want (Autumn, all Winter..).

Summer must NOT deleted. And also the "disabled" folder must stay in the orthos folder.

If you don't want the OrbX colors then you can delete the OrbX folder too.

I think you shall backup the deleted folders (may be on a USB Stick)...

But if you work with Terra Maxx or OrbX then you don shall delete anything here!

Also all manually described Season Mods don't work if you delete folders from the orthos folder!

You ONLY have summer then!

It's your own risk :)

Greets Heinz

Thanks tried that and it worked without any problems. What remains is 2.30 gb. I've retained copies of what I've deleted although as I purchased from Steam a back up should always be available. If nothing else an integrity check may give me the files back even if unwanted! The Steam description doesn't show the disk space needed which given the size of the complete download might be worth changing.

I do understand that for many purchasers the options that the download provides with the seasons is welcome and that there's a move in  Flight Simulation for ever bigger data sets for more realism. However I live in Colombia and here leading edge hardware (including storage) is difficult to come by - or very expensive - and the internet speeds for many people are prohibitive on huge downloads. Of course we're a minority but it does present challenges.

Manchester has had some mixed reviews online and one in particular is very negative.  I've not got enough experience of paid scenery at this time to form a definitive opinion but for the price I paid it seems at least good value, stable and not a bad purchase. However I also bought DFW and given the detail and sheer geographic size of that airport the fact that it needs less than 1 gb and Manchester (with options removed) is twice that makes me question if the EGCC package is as efficient space wise as it could be. No doubt I'm missing something!

• Administrator

Hello,

Manchester uses very good Fototextures. And this is the reason for used space.

It s a modern Airport and this is what the most users want.

But may be it is an idea to split it in default and with Reason textures (if this is possible.....), or something like that.

But this I cannot force here.

I will send an info the productmanagers and developers...

Greets Heinz

• Developer
On 5.4.2019 at 18:10, Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

But may be it is an idea to split it in default and with Reason textures (if this is possible.....), or something like that.

I thought about something similar and this should be no problem - it would be easily possible to exclude the additional orthos from the main package and ship them with a second download. Installation would then just be a second copy and paste so this would be very easy. 

Archived