An appeal to the DEV Team

GEK_the_Reaper

Dear developers,

it has been a while since the CRJ has been released to the market and the release was far from perfect. The first release was barely flyable (well it was flyable but most of the features were not usable).

Smaler updates provided in short times (thank you) did improve the systems and made the plane more and more usable. Still there are BUG remnants from the very first release up till today which haven't been fixed.

One of those things are the button lights: AC AVAIL light, no lights, partial lights (some lights do show, others not e.g: APU button, Start ENG button).

Another is still the little BUGGY MCDU where modification of FPLN or DEP/ARR airport messes the complete FPLN up.

(...others...)

The CRJ is actualy on SP1a and in my opinion still far away from a good aircraft. From the aircraft in my hangar, this is the only one where I have to make some sort of compromise to fly it. The compromise consists e.g in those changing panel states:

- can I still fly it if no AVAIL light shows up on the AC when GP is connected -> yes...but it kills the immersion

- can I still fly it if the lights on the APU start switch does not lit up -> yes...but it kills the immersion

- can I fly it when no lights show -> maybe I could but I chose to restart P3D because it felt broken

In my opinion, this state is unacceptable for an aircraft worth of a SP1a state!

So, dear developers, please consider this as my personal appeal to you. Before you try to implement new features, please fix those that don't work.

Thank you!

• Developer

I would love to fix the light issue, but my problem is that it never happened to me. It's not even clear if it's a gauge or model issue (or if something else is to blame). I will talk to Stefan (the modeller) again tomorrow to find out if it's may be an fx file that might have been overwritten or is not available. The gauge part has been checked multiple times already. It's quite unlikely that the reason lies in there.

About the DEP/ARR changes. Do you have an example which I could try? The last tests I made worked just fine. Timing is also important. I don't know what happens if you try to change a STAR while you're already flying on it.

Dear @Hans Hartmann,

A. LIGHTS

I posted this already in other topics but did not get any answer from you.

Please try the following:

1. Go to your Documents and move all *.fxml and *.wx files located under Prepar3d v4 Files.

2. Fire up P3D

If you moved all starting scenarios, P3D will show you the F22-Raptor located KVPS RW19 on the welcome screen.

3. Click "Change vehicle" and choose your CRJ then choose your favorite Airport and Gate --> click OK

After the CRJ initializes succesfuly, take note of the PB position and if DAVE is ON or OFF

4. Go to DAVE and select Wheel Blocks ON and GP ON.

Look on the OVH panel if AVAIL light is there

5. Close P3D

Under your Documents -> Prepar3d v4 Files you will find 2 new files named Previous Flight.* -> LEAVE THEM THERE

Now repeat step 2 to 5 10 times alway taking note of the PB position and DAVE state first, afterwards the steps for AVAIL light.

If your panel states in regard to PB and DAVE are always the same and you will always get the green AVAIL light, then it must be something else (an Add-On) interfeering with the CRJ.

If that is the case, I promise I will try help you to find that Add-On. I will uninstall all I have and will start with a fresh OS followed by vanilla P3D and ONLY the CRJ!

The errors listed by you and others belong, as mentioned by Hans several times, to the errors that do not occur with all users and are therefore difficult to fix. These errors should also appear on his test system to be able to eliminate them.

To AVAIL lights: Yes, that also happens to me, no matter how I start the sim - sometimes it lights up, sometimes it doesn't.

To APU lights: No, with me the APU light always lights up when I start the APU. 

The small delay until the light is on corresponds to the real model. There is a clip of a real CRJ APU start on Youtube above.

ENG button: Also here the buttons light up when I press the ENG button.

So how do you fix something that doesn't cause problems for all users?

vor 12 Minuten, Hoffie3000 sagte:

These errors should also appear on his test system to be able to eliminate them.

This is why I proposed the test steps, since some of the testers (including Hans) start from a preset scenario ;) which we now that in some cases does interfere with the loading sates of some aircrafts.

vor 13 Minuten, Hoffie3000 sagte:

To AVAIL lights: Yes, that also happens to me, no matter how I start the sim - sometimes it lights up, sometimes it doesn't.

As Hans posted above, he always get's the AVAIL light....so is your or my system damaged???

vor 14 Minuten, Hoffie3000 sagte:

To APU lights: No, with me the APU light always lights up when I start the APU. 

The small delay until the light is on corresponds to the real model. There is a clip of a real CRJ APU start on Youtube above.

I know the clip and I always wait 3-4 sec for the right EICAS message to appear. On my system, when the APU lights work, also the ENG Start light works.

@Hoffie3000 how do you load your CRJ? Would it be possible for you to go through the test steps?

vor 16 Minuten, Hoffie3000 sagte:

So how do you fix something that doesn't cause problems for all users?

It's hard to say how many users do have the problem, but from the numerous reports, it should be enough to conclude that something is not stable. Your Q is not for me to answer and I'm sure that Hans will do anything to get this sorted.

The only thing I could do is to offer my support in this matter, even if it means to start from scratch (that's more then some of the guys here would do) ;)

I load always the Mooney first (exaptions are the PMDG´s) in a Cold & Dark Scenario with Clear Skies. Airport and Time differ of course.

If the Sim has loaded all parts including Weather I switch to the CRJ´s.

I can try the test steps next week.

Please login to display this image.

This is always a problem when comparing between the development PC´s and the user PC´s . The differences in hardware and software are certainly very different.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:56 PM, Hans Hartmann said:

I will talk to Stefan (the modeller) again tomorrow to find out if it's may be an fx file that might have been overwritten or is not available.

Great, thank you.  I'd love to see the AVAIL light issue resolved on my system too....I simply have never seen it work.

@GEK_the_Reaper

Ok, here are my test results

As suggested I follow the test scenario and as a result you can see that it is more or less pure luck if your AC-Light comes availabel if you start the Ground Power Unit.

Removed all files from Documents/Prepar3Dv4 Files

Prepar3D.cfg removed (I got an error message about"too low memory in System... with the old .cfg one)
P3Dv4 started
F22, EDDF, Parking V143 loaded
F22 with running Systems and electrical Power
Switch to CRJ900
Checked if DAVE has Power on or not
Switching Ground Power on
Checked if AC-Light on or not

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

@GEK_the_Reaper I spent most of my weekend trying to reproduce this and was ultimately successful. We're working on a solution right now, but are not quite there yet.

For now, these are my findings:

1) I could only reproduce the issue when I loaded the CRJ directly from the scenario window. This is against the recommendation to load a default aircraft first.

2) I could only reproduce the issue with the ASCRJ.dll compiled in Release configuration. Debug configuration will work 100%

3) There seems to be an issue with the names of the L-Variables (aka named variables) which are used for the communication between ASCRJ.dll and the model file. We're still trying to figure out what exactly is going on here and how to fix it.

I'll keep you updated if we make any progress.

Thank you @Hans Hartmann. Please understand that I only want to help. That's why I offered my time to "iron my PC down" to get to a Vanilla OS, P3D and CRJ installation. It will take time but I consider it worth spend if I could help you nail this issue down.

• Developer

I think we've got it. Going by the steps you posted above, the AVAIL light now shows every time. The reason? I wish I knew. It seems that renaming some  L-variables from ASCRJ_ELEC_EXTPWR_xxx to ASCRJ_ELEC_GPU_xxx fixed it, but according to the guys at LM, there's no character limit for L-variables. The whole thing remains mysterious.

Now, while I'm working on fixing things, can you give me an example for the STAR/Appr change issue?

vor 7 Stunden , Hans Hartmann sagte:

I think we've got it.

Sweeeeet! Thank you!

vor 7 Stunden , Hans Hartmann sagte:

give me an example for the STAR/Appr change issue

Just went for v4.5 with a clean Uninstall / Install of everything. Give me some time pls.

Archived