can someone explain this landing problem

GaryMcCl

Hi

I've been having a lot of problems using these Airbuses lately - but on this occasion the a319. I you look at the cockpit settings , I can'the see a problem with any of my settings, but the  system has reacted real bad.  Firstly, it was set to 190kts, with flaps set to one, but all of a sudden my aircraft was over 300kts and I was getting an alarm (it was also set to A/FLOOR) ! I had done nothing to get that - the autopilot was set to 190kts and had flats set to 1, why did it react like (I'm sorry you can hardly hear my voice in the video, but its not that appropriate if you keep an eye on the systems.

Gary

Please login to view this video.

Kind of hard to see on my iPad, but low airspeed and high AOA initiated alpha floor protection. Perhaps your throttle wasn’t set properly?

Randy 

1 hour ago, RRVyper said:

Kind of hard to see on my iPad, but low airspeed and high AOA initiated alpha floor protection. Perhaps your throttle wasn’t set properly?

Randy 

Hi Randy - thanks for getting back to me.

To be honest I don't know what got into that state. The speed was 190 (set by me) with flaps, so I'm not sure how it decided to go into an alpha floor state - at other times those speeds have not been an issue. 

After all of that, I had to restart the auto throttle, but it always acted in the same way. 

I gave in with the flight, but I will try again. 

What the system is set to doens't really matter, what it does is what matters. External influences like weather, misconfigured joysticks or just common errors (like leaving the speedbrake out in level flight) could lead to the system "misbehaving". Keep in mind: It's a machine! Machines aren't perfect!

The video begins after the really interesting situation (how it got that slow) was over already. So we can't really tell what happened.

Everything that happened afterwards is caused by pilot error, in other words an inappropriate response to Alpha Floor activation. This mode is explained in the manual, please review it so that you know how to react in the future to avoid the overspeed.

Once TOGA LK was active it can only be deactivated by the pilot. You did not do so, thus the engines were stuck with full thrust, leading you right into an overspeed situation. Even then you did not react.

Always keep in mind the golden rules published by Airbus, in your case especially numbers 5 and 6:
https://lessonslearned.faa.gov/IndianAir605/AirbusSafetyLib_-FLT_OPS-SOP-SEQ03 - Ops Golden Rules.pdf

6 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

What the system is set to doens't really matter, what it does is what matters

Emanuel, 

Thanks for that, in your reply there's a lot of useful information. Given what you've said, I'll try the flight again and let you know how it went. 

Gaz

On 3/26/2019 at 7:31 AM, Emanuel Hagen said:

Hi Emanuel 

I've been working on this in the same time and weather. I certainly learnt that I need to keep an eye on things. In the initial flight (before this post), I seem to lose 10,000ft! I was very high so I was good for me! 

Anyway, since then, the test flights have not done that and I had to lose altitude by go down by going into a circle (I don't know if that has a name?) and slowly losing that altitude. The l managed that landing then went well. 

Thanks for help Emanuel. 

Archived