Sign in to follow this  
OPabst

Sim-wings Canary Islands Professional - La Gomera [released]

To close the gap between the existing Sim-wings Canary islands professional - El Hierro and Canary islands professional - La Palma with there airports (GCHI and GCLA) and the upcomming products Canary islands professional - Tenerife Sur  (GCTS) and the Canary islands professional - Gran Canaria (GCLP), the project for Sim-wings Canary islands professional - La Gomera was started.

Here some Work in Progress previews:

GCGM001.jpg

The project includes the complete photorealistic island with a detail mesh of 5m density.

GCGM002.jpg

Even when the Airport is not that busy with the two daily flights to Tenerife, the approach is special., more like a landing on an aircraft carrier.

GCGM003.jpg

La Gomera is the first airport, where a full P3DV4 SDK based costum developed PAPI system is included, not BGLC Code or simple AFCAD as before.

GCGM004.jpg

The airport is small, but has a nice Terminal in a Canarian architecture.

GCGM005.jpg

The Terminal is not only outside detailed modeled, also the inside areas are implemented

GCGM006.jpg

GCGM007.jpg

The entrance Hall will show nice light and shadow effects in P3D V4

GCGM008.jpg

The facilities are limited, but everything is there: Shopping, Rent-a-Car and a restaurant.

GCGM009.jpg

The Landside with the entrance portal is also fully modeled

GCGM010.jpg

We do not guarantee that the taxi number is still correct

GCGM011.jpg

But you will find your way to the highlights of the island

GCGM012.jpg

GCGM013.jpg

The safety of flying is taken care of

GCGM014.jpg

All buildings within the airport fence are present

GCGM015.jpg

During a sightseeing tour with the avatar, the entrance doors are no obstacle, they open automatically

GCGM016.jpg

Even at night is ensured a realistic atmosphere outside...

GCGM017.jpg

... and inside the Terminal ...

GCGM018.jpg

... and on the Apron ...

GCGM019.jpg

... and at the landside

GCGM020.jpg

Start the way to Gomera ...

GCGM021.jpg

... we see us soon.

Looks nice, although I still do not understand the focus on those inside-terminal details in scenery development (not only by SimWings) while other aspects remain on almost FS9 levels, for example the autogen density on those islands. Same "issue" I have with the LEPA scenery: wonderful rendition of the airport with tons of details, but the whole island of mallorca is covered with ultra-sparse autogen. I now disabled the photoground island of Mallorca to have FTX Global and OpenLC Europe back. And at least some decent autogen while approaching LEPA. Of Course, for La Gomera, Tenerife etc. this might be less an issue due to the volcanic character of the island, but above screenshots imply that again ultra-sparse autogen will be used...

Just a small criticsm you might consider for future releases, otherwise those products are top notch!

The Autogen densitiy of the older Mallorca Versions (evolution for FSX, installable in P3D) was reduced and only more dence around the airport to keep the performance high in FSX.

With the professional Version the autogen was increased for the island based on the data available. So, maybe you still use the older version in P3D V4.

On the the other hand, it depents on the sources available to generate the autogen. If this are good, you can generate the autogen in most parts automatic and you don't need to made handpaced autogen for the complete island, which is very time consuming. Landclass based Autogen is in it self automatic generated by the landclasses, fully different then on a photoreal ground. So you always need to have balance between invest of time and refound by sales.

But you are right about the inside view of terminals, this could be discussed if it is needed. But it is not the request of the developer to do that, it is requested as "state-of-the-art" design by the "reviewers" and I never read a criticsm for such review creaters, who downgrade a scenery, because the terminal has no transparent glass (and this inside modeled). So here we need to ask, if that makes sense.

In case of La Gomera, the Terminal looks inside very nice (more interesting then outside) and the parking position is direct in front of the hall. So it's beside the approach the highlight of this airport.

Looking very good!

La Gomera is a beautiful island, I did a day trip there a few years ago when I was on holiday in Tenerife. Unfortunately my excursion didn't take me anywhere near the airport.

La Gomera doesn't have the mass tourism that the larger islands like Gran Canaria and Tenerife have, it's a real undiscovered treasure. Certainly worth having in the sim.

21 hours ago, OPabst said:

So, maybe you still use the older version in P3D V4.

[...]

But you are right about the inside view of terminals, this could be discussed if it is needed. But it is not the request of the developer to do that, it is requested as "state-of-the-art" design by the "reviewers" and I never read a criticsm for such review creaters, who downgrade a scenery, because the terminal has no transparent glass (and this inside modeled). So here we need to ask, if that makes sense.

No, I use the current professional version for v4. But you are correct, photoground always tends to have somewhat more sparse autogen due to the necessity of hand placing the autogen. As I said, it is not a deal breaker, but to me, I would love to see more ressources invested into proper surrounding of the airports, especially if whole islands come along with it, in contrast to spending hours of development to have baggage belts inside the terminal... Anyway, as this is at least partially a complete individual thing, so we will see how developers interpret those aspects in future...

Looks great altogether, but the island autogen including buildings closer to the airport seem a bit sparse? I wonder also if the photoreal is 50cm per pixel like on the other islands, it looked a little blurry, especially the hill leading up to the runway but it might be my old monitor. Hope for some more clutter on the airport but overall very nice, a must have for me!

Mike 

Hi Mike,

the autogen was my job for the last days and the screens show the state before, "Work in progress" as shown on it.

The photoground of the island has the same resolution as all other islands in the professional serie and a more detail photo around the airport. This is the base possible solution based on the available source and how P3D will handle them. Oversampling the source will not bring better results and only increase the size of the data.