Planning flights with historic weather

When planning flights for times and dates older than the current time the manual states (for subscription Wx)... "will automatically download current winds, METARs and TAFs from weather server (Requires PFPX Server Subscription)".

If I wish to plan a flight for earlier dates it sounds like I cannot use this service. It's a little confusing as a calendar is provided for start date. Am I correct in assuming I would need to temporarily switch to another weather source such as Active Sky for planning that flight?

Out of interest how far back can PFPX-supplied weather go? A few hours or not even that?

PFPX online weather service does not provide historic data. It is possible to save/load a snapshot of the current weather for future use, option available form the weather icon (lower right).

You can use a weather engine such as ActiveSky in historic mode. The use of such, either live or historic, does not provide a forecast over time but a weather snapshot of the time selected.

Calendar or Schedule ?

The latter allows for review of the airline schedule and despatcher access to the previous days planned flights which may still be in progress.

You could also re-plan and despatch anew.

Allows you to select a date for pre-planning, to be completed closer to the despatch time and within the forecast window, maybe pre-released.

Bear in mind PFPX developers still need to to update the way PFPX reads ActiveSky winds (as discussed in other threads).  You will be fine in most cases, but long oceanic flights may see significant wind differences.

9 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Bear in mind PFPX developers still need to to update the way PFPX reads ActiveSky winds (as discussed in other threads).  You will be fine in most cases, but long oceanic flights may see significant wind differences.

The only oceanic routes I fly are in Concorde. At FL550-600 you don't really need to worry about winds. Temperature is more important.

Archived