Aspen XP, how to change between summer and winter

An update was put out today for Aspen XP to provide winter textures.  I though great now I can have both and thought the change would work like my other airports for X Plane 11.  So I followed the vague instructions and copied the winter mod files to the root of my XP11.  And yes I now have winter textures.  But there are no instructions on how to get the summer textures.  I have many payware airports for XP11 and some have both winter and summer textures.  On those airports the textures are changed automatically based on the date set in XP11.  But this does not seem to be the case for Aspen XP, which is a real disappointment, making it virtually useless.  There is a remark in the manual stating that I should backup my summer textures before installing the winter textures.  But of course, no explanation as to how to do that.  So right now I am extremely disappointed in Aerosoft and would like to know how I am supposed to switch between winter and summer textures for Aspen XP.  Please advise.

• Administrator

Hello,

with this Airport an automatic change Winter - Sumer - Winter ... is not included.

So you have to copy the winter textures manually. You have done it correctly.

But you have to make a backup of the summer textures befor. This is described in the manual page 30.

Here the text:

"Copy all folders in Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport/Winter_MOD to your main X-Plane 11 directory and replace files if asked. Make sure to backup your summer version before!"

The Manual you find as an separate download with your shop account.

An idea is to create a Summer_MOD folder with this folders (same structure like the Winter_MOD):

"Summer_Mod" folder

-- "Custom Scenery" Folder

----"Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport" folder

Into this last created folder copy the folders from the default ...Airport folder (Summer version): "Earth nav data", "objects" and "orthos"....

Greets Heinz

Thank you for the information.  But this is kind of ridiculous to have to do.  This should have been automated like it is in many of my other airports.  I will give it a try but I think I am just going to delete the Aspen XP airport and use the default scenery and not purchase any Aerosoft products in the future. This is just not acceptable to have to go through this type of a process to switch textures.  I am very disappointed in Aerosoft.

I tried creating the Summer_Mod folder as you suggested and copied the files into it per your instructions.  But when I tried changing between winter and summer things did not go well.  I came up with the following solution.  After installing the initial files I copied the four folders to a backup drive (Airport, Autogen, Mesh HDv4, Mesh_a) and called the folder they were in Summer.  I then applied the winter mod and copied the folders into a Winter folder on my backup drive (Airport, Autogen, Mesh HDv4, Mesh_a, Mesh_b).  I then added Winter and Summer to the folder names for those folders that had files that changed or were added when the winter mod was applied.  And then copied those folders into my custom scenery folder.  I now have the following folders:

Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport Summer
Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport Winter
Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Autogen
Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh HDv4
Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh_a Summer
Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh_a Winter
Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh_b Winter

I use xOrganizer and have a profile for summer and winter.  Each enables the appropriate folders for the season and disables the inappropriate ones.  This seems to work for now.  But it would be really nice if Aerosoft would make a change to automate the textures based on the date being used in X-Plane 11.  Thank you for your assistance.

The reason why it is not automated is that you would have to download the doubled amount of files even if you don't want to have seasonal textures. The entire scenery has around 10GB per season already.

21 hours ago, Marten said:

The reason why it is not automated is that you would have to download the doubled amount of files even if you don't want to have seasonal textures. The entire scenery has around 10GB per season already.

If that is the case I think it is a very poor excuse.  That reasoning is the same as why LR didn't put in seasons to begin with.  Because they don't care about seasons.  If airport scenery provides seasonal textures it should provide a means to switch between the textures or automate the switch.  Not just a way to switch to winter textures and no instructions on how to revert back to summer textures. That's just a courtesy to the individuals who purchase the scenery and the lack of that ability is just plain poor programming and customer service.

On 3/2/2019 at 2:52 AM, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

Hello,

with this Airport an automatic change Winter - Sumer - Winter ... is not included.

So you have to copy the winter textures manually. You have done it correctly.

But you have to make a backup of the summer textures befor. This is described in the manual page 30.

Here the text:

"Copy all folders in Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport/Winter_MOD to your main X-Plane 11 directory and replace files if asked. Make sure to backup your summer version before!"

The Manual you find as an separate download with your shop account.

An idea is to create a Summer_MOD folder with this folders (same structure like the Winter_MOD):

"Summer_Mod" folder

-- "Custom Scenery" Folder

----"Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport" folder

Into this last created folder copy the folders from the default ...Airport folder (Summer version): "Earth nav data", "objects" and "orthos"....

Greets Heinz

When will this be available for Sim Market download?

I forgot to mention in my remarks above "Thank You" for producing Winter textures for Aspen XP.  As mentioned above I have found a way to switch between Winter and Summer textures without having to copy files from a folder and overwriting files each time.  So Thank You again for the wonderful scenery.

1 hour ago, jfwharton said:

I forgot to mention in my remarks above "Thank You" for producing Winter textures for Aspen XP.  As mentioned above I have found a way to switch between Winter and Summer textures without having to copy files from a folder and overwriting files each time.  So Thank You again for the wonderful scenery.

Can you explain how you did it?

As I mentioned above I use xOrganizer 2.0 to manage my scenery.  I installed Aspen XP into X-Plane 11 and verified it worked correctly using the Summer textures.  I then copied the Aspen XP folders from custom scenery over to a backup drive and labeled the backup as Aspen XP Summer.  I then applied the Winter Mod located in the Aerosoft - Kase Aspen - Airport\Winter_Mod folder.  Once I verified that the Winter textures worked I again copied the Aspen XP folders from custom scenery over to a backup drive and labeled the backup Aspen XP Winter.  Since there were no modifications to the Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Autogen and Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh HDv4 folders I left them in custom scenery and deleted the Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport, Mesh_a and Mesh_b folders. I then renamed the Airport, Mesh_a and Mesh_b folders in my backups adding Summer to the Airport and Mesh_a folders in my Summer backup and added Winter to the Airport, Mesh_a and Mesh_b folders in my Winter backup.  Last I copied the folders with the Summer and Winter added from my backups to the custom scenery folder.  So now under custom scenery I have the following folders.

Then I went into xOrganizer and created two profiles, one for Summer and one for Winter.  In the summer profile I enabled the Aspen XP Autogen and Mesh HDv4 folders and the folders with Summer added to them.  In the Winter profile I enabled the first two folders mentioned before and the folders with Winter added to them.  With that done now all you have to do is go into xOrganizer and select either the Summer or Winter profile depending on the season you want to fly in and it enabled the correct folders in the scenery_packs.ini file.

Just now, jfwharton said:

As I mentioned above I use xOrganizer 2.0 to manage my scenery.  I installed Aspen XP into X-Plane 11 and verified it worked correctly using the Summer textures.  I then copied the Aspen XP folders from custom scenery over to a backup drive and labeled the backup as Aspen XP Summer.  I then applied the Winter Mod located in the Aerosoft - Kase Aspen - Airport\Winter_Mod folder.  Once I verified that the Winter textures worked I again copied the Aspen XP folders from custom scenery over to a backup drive and labeled the backup Aspen XP Winter.  Since there were no modifications to the Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Autogen and Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh HDv4 folders I left them in custom scenery and deleted the Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport, Mesh_a and Mesh_b folders. I then renamed the Airport, Mesh_a and Mesh_b folders in my backups adding Summer to the Airport and Mesh_a folders in my Summer backup and added Winter to the Airport, Mesh_a and Mesh_b folders in my Winter backup.  Last I copied the folders with the Summer and Winter added from my backups to the custom scenery folder.  So now under custom scenery I have the following folders.

Then I went into xOrganizer and created two profiles, one for Summer and one for Winter.  In the summer profile I enabled the Aspen XP Autogen and Mesh HDv4 folders and the folders with Summer added to them.  In the Winter profile I enabled the first two folders mentioned before and the folders with Winter added to them.  With that done now all you have to do is go into xOrganizer and select either the Summer or Winter profile depending on the season you want to fly in and it enabled the correct folders in the scenery_packs.ini file.

Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to explain your process for this!  That's precisely what I would have done as well (I'm a very long Microsoft/P3D flight simmer being dragged kicking and screaming into X-Plane... LOL).

Thanks again!  I'm sure this will be helpful to many people now and in the future.

Best wishes!

Copying the Winter MOD file to the root of XP11 does not change the textures. When I copy the contents of the WINTER MOD file to Customer Scenery and it asks me to override I do. I do see winter textures around the airport? Are the surrounding mountains to supposed to be winterized as well? I just see trees with white on them. Airport looks like it worked?

thanks

The mountain textures in the Aspen XP scenery surround Aspen and go all the way up to include Eagle County Regional Airport (KEGE).  So if you have applied the Winter MOD correctly the airport as well as the surrounding mountains should have snow.  But since XP11 does not have seasons, the mountains outside of the Aspen XP scenery area will not have snow unless you have an addon like TerraMaxx that adds winter textures to the default scenery.  Terra Maxx does not work with ortho or photo scenery, just X-Plane 11 default scenery.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the response. I too now use Xorganizer. What a great tool. Do you bundle all of the Aspen folders with the Airports sub folder? Or do you leave the mesh folders down below. XO puts the two mesh folders over my Ortho4XP tiles. Just curious to know the best location for this airport in XO. More details below.

I do not use HDMeshV4 scenery. At least not yet. I do have USOrthophotos for the State of Colorado installed.

1.) I installed AS_KASE-ASPEN-ORTHOMESH-REQUIRED-FILES first.

2.) I then installed AS_KASE-ASPEN-ORTHOMESH-OPTIONAL-FILES second.

I am assuming the above is the SUMMER textures. I tested it and it looked fine. This is all based on the instructions provided in SimMarket under this product. Here is a copy of it. HDMeshV4 not installed according to the option below in the instructions. It says "If you do NOT use HD Mesh".

The download includes two versions of the airport, one for users of HD Mesh V4 and one for everyone else. If you do NOT use HD Mesh, unpack the scenery files from the folder “AS_KASE-ASPEN-ORTHOMESH-REQUIRED-FILES.zip” into the “Custom Scenery” folder in your X-Plane root folder. If you want to, you can also install an optional extension of the mesh. To do so,simply unpack the folder “Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh_b” located in “AS_KASE-ASPEN-ORTHOMESH-OPTIONAL-FILES.zip” into “Custom Scenery” as well. If you have HD Mesh installed, unpack the folder “AS_KASE-ASPENHDMESHV4.zip” into your “Custom Scenery” folder instead.

3.) I made a copy of step 1 and 2 and called that folder ASPEN-SUMMER. I then went into the WINTER MOD folder. Copied the CUSTOM SCENERY folder and dropped it into the root XP11 folder. I over wrote the files upon request.

4.) I now copied these folders out and called it ASPEN-WINTER. XO comes later and I can create the summer and winter profiles.

Question #1) Does this override USOrthophotos installed?

Question #2) Can the MESH A and B be bundled with the airport so that is higher than the base mesh and US Orthophotos?

Question #3) What is the best order for the Aspen folders?

Question #4) Is USOrthophotos considered HD Mesh? So do we in tern need to install HDMeshV4

Question #5) Where does the KASE Aspen Autogen go? scenery.ini puts it at the bottom.

Thanks!

On 26.3.2019 at 16:14, IronCondorSimulations sagte:

Question #1) Does this override USOrthophotos installed?

Question #2) Can the MESH A and B be bundled with the airport so that is higher than the base mesh and US Orthophotos?

Question #3) What is the best order for the Aspen folders?

Question #4) Is USOrthophotos considered HD Mesh? So do we in tern need to install HDMeshV4

Question #5) Where does the KASE Aspen Autogen go? scenery.ini puts it at the bottom.

1) It depends on your scenery load order. If USOrthophotos is below Aspen Mesh, you will see the Aspen mesh, but not the USOrthophotos mesh.

2) Again, you have to order your scenery.ini in a way that the mesh you want to use for a given region is above any other mesh, but below the airport.

3) Airport comes first, Autogen second, Mesh last.

4) No, HD Mesh is a freeware mesh by Andras Fabian. It does not use photos, but is a higher resolution version of the default mesh. You can only use one mesh -- either the default mesh, or the HD mesh, or any orthophoto mesh. If you use USOrthophotos, you don't need to install HD Mesh, because USOrthophotos has higher priority anyway.

5) See 3.

Archived