CRJ observations

mpw8679

Hi,  Just purchased and had my first flight.  I am no expert but I had a few observations that I find odd.  

1.  Engine start up seems way way to fast and does not match the sounds at all.

2.  GPU power available light will not come on.

3.  When switching on the fuel boost pumps both buttons will activate when only selecting one side.

4.  Are all the hyd. pump switch sounds supposed to make pump noise even with the engines off?

5. All the flight controls and stabilizer trim work with no hyd. power.

Now I may be wrong but I was expecting a lot better in the systems department.  I was not expecting PMDG or FSLabs  systems modeling but this seems to be on par with Carenado's stuff.  Maybe I am expecting to much.   

I don’t know enough about how engines are modeled in the sim to answer number 1, but it seems to be a common problem with any FSX/P3D aircraft that uses standard SDK engine modeling.

PMDG uses a very complex custom engine model, that is probably not “do-able” in an aircraft in the CRJ’s price class.

Number 2 is a perplexing bug that the developer has been trying to nail down for quite some time. It appears to be quite intermittent. I’ve had the light fail to come on, and then on the next flight, it works fine. Some users never have the problem. I know Hans would like to solve it once and for all, but the reason it happens is evidently not clear.

For number 3, that is exactly how it works in the real aircraft. When either fuel boost pump switch engine is pressed, they both come on. However, it is necessary to engage both switches before engine start to avoid error messages. The pumps automatically shut off and go into standby mode once both engines are running.

4: The hydraulic pumps that are controlled by the switches are all electric, and yes, they will come on anytime the aircraft has power. The number 3A pump is energized before pushback and runs continuously until the aircraft arrives at its destination and parks at the gate. The number 1 and 2 pumps are normally set to “auto” so that they will come on in case the engine-driven pumps fail, and can be turned on before engine start (or any other time), by moving the switches to “on”

Number 5: The primary flight controls being able to move without hydraulic power is indeed a bug. However, the stabilizer trim is electric, and does not need hydraulics to operate.

38 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

I don’t know enough about how engines are modeled in the sim to answer number 1, but it seems to be a common problem with any FSX/P3D aircraft that uses standard SDK engine modeling.

PMDG uses a very complex custom engine model, that is probably not “do-able” in an aircraft in the CRJ’s price class.

Number 2 is a perplexing bug that the developer has been trying to nail down for quite some time. It appears to be quite intermittent. I’ve had the light fail to come on, and then on the next flight, it works fine. Some users never have the problem. I know Hans would like to solve it once and for all, but the reason it happens is evidently not clear.

For number 3, that is exactly how it works in the real aircraft. When either fuel boost pump switch engine is pressed, they both come on. However, it is necessary to engage both switches before engine start to avoid error messages. The pumps automatically shut off and go into standby mode once both engines are running.

4: The hydraulic pumps that are controlled by the switches are all electric, and yes, they will come on anytime the aircraft has power. The number 3A pump is energized before pushback and runs continuously until the aircraft arrives at its destination and parks at the gate. The number 1 and 2 pumps are normally set to “auto” so that they will come on in case the engine-driven pumps fail, and can be turned on before engine start (or any other time), by moving the switches to “on”

Number 5: The primary flight controls being able to move without hydraulic power is indeed a bug. However, the stabilizer trim is electric, and does not need hydraulics to operate.

Thank u very much.  For the most part my issues are indeed my inexperience with the aircraft or already known bugs that should be fixed in future updates.  As far as engine start up is concerned it seems most developers have seemed to find a method around the sim limitations.  That was why I was so surprised by it.  Maybe it will be corrected in the future.  

Archived