Real names

Real names yes or no?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stop posting to our forums if we ask you to sign your posts with your real name click > yes. If you do not mind real names click > no.

@mopperle

I'm not talking about me personally, but the entire idea behind internet persona's is that you can remain somewhat anonymous. Introducing myself to another person I'm about to have a transaction or interaction with is a whole lot different than a bunch of rando's on some website being able to read it.

It's got little to do with politeness, if people will want to be mean then they will do so.

Those tools are rather easy to circumvent, and don't add any real value. Nor does enforcing everyone using real names. People should be able to ask for help with a product they purchased without everyone being able to track them.

Another issue would be that people could follow me around the internet if I use the same username a lot. This may not be desirable for everyone. This makes you an easier target for people after your data or wanting to "doxx" you.

@OPabst

What if I need support? I would be forced to give up my anonymity, or potentially not be able to use a product I purchased. I am not "lying", not sure what you mean with that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Developer
34 minutes ago, Daantjeeuh said:

@OPabst

What if I need support? I would be forced to give up my anonymity, or potentially not be able to use a product I purchased. I am not "lying", not sure what you mean with that.

When you want support

1. You could not request privacy at all, as you must validate you as a customer.

2. When you want support and you don't even want to give your name in public, then you have other ways, like email, to get your problem placed to the support, even when you also my ask to validate you as customer, by name or ordernumber.

Btw, when you say not the truth, because you sign with the wrong name, I have learned, that this is call to "lie".

Nobody stated you need to give your real name to validate as a customer. And though most people will be, the forums are also open to non-customers so this is something that can't be validated.

But I genuinely did now know Aerosoft offers email support. But it's good they do.

And yes, you may be lying if you give up a fake name, but who is going to find out you're lying really, and why would someone care about finding out. That was my point.

• Developer
4 minutes ago, Daantjeeuh said:

Nobody stated you need to give your real name to validate as a customer. And though most people will be, the forums are also open to non-customers so this is something that can't be validated.

But I genuinely did now know Aerosoft offers email support. But it's good they do.

And yes, you may be lying if you give up a fake name, but who is going to find out you're lying really, and why would someone care about finding out. That was my point.

Yes, but you ask for support, and in this case the name should not be an issue, when you what it.

That the forum is open for non (yet) customers is clear, but don't change anything regarding the item here, as it is still a company forum for existing or maybe future customes and not a public community forum. It is a forum to get in contact with the human persons behind the company, developers or users of the products. Here humans talk to humans, not Donald Duck to Daantjeeuh (as long as this is not your real name, what I not expect, based on your statements here).

In all discussions I done in my live, private as in business, I minimum know the name of the person, even when it was the only info I had. 

Ok, when someone only ask for the way, then I don't ask him for his name :)

Everybody is allowed to use a Pseudonym.
Nearly every artist has a Pseudonym.

So every artist with Pseudonym is a lyer?

If you allow everybody to write under Nick0815, then everybody can see that's a pseudonym. He needs not to feel like a lyer.

But if _you_ (Oliver Pabst or Aerosoft or PMDG or whoever) force them to use a Pseudonym that sounds real, then it's _you_ who force them to be a "lyer".

You understand what I mean?

Hope I've found the right words . . .

• Developer
10 minutes ago, John Kunde said:

Everybody is allowed to use a Pseudonym.
Nearly every artist has a Pseudonym.

So every artist with Pseudonym is a lyer?

If you allow everybody to write under Nick0815, then everybody can see that's a pseudonym. He needs not to feel like a lyer.

But if _you_ (Oliver Pabst or Aerosoft or PMDG or whoever) force them to use a Pseudonym that sounds real, then it's _you_ who force them to be a "lyer".

You understand what I mean?

Hope I've found the right words . . .

Read before post, even as Pseudonyme.

22 minutes ago, John Kunde said:

Sorry Oliver, I do not understand what you mean.

But I think this was a very, very good example that "real names" does NOT lead to more respect.

So why so much hype about this theme?

???

John,

Thank you for weighing in on the subject.

Unfortunately, your comparison to Artists clearly demonstrates a slight misunderstanding of the subject. This is not about respect, but rather human nature/behavior.  I believe most people (as witnessed in this thread) pretty much understand that people act differently when they believe they are anonymous from how they behave when they believe they are not anonymous.  It's even more evident when it's an emotional matter for them. This is taught in almost every higher level psychology courses I've taken, it was taught at the FBI Academy, Leadership and Management courses, and it is even taught during advanced driving courses I've attended. There are also formal studies which prove it out, but one really just has to think on their own past to validate this.  This is as close to being accepted as fact as it gets.

It's certainly your right to disagree and see this matter in any light you wish, but I hope I've at least cracked the door open so you might see this a little differently.

My very best wishes.

Sorry Dave, but there are real names, "real names" and nicks.

If Aerosoft will force the people to give their real names, there are two possibilities:

1) Instead of giving their real names, some people will give "real names". Makes the atmosphere a little bit more "serious", but makes not much difference. Hope you can agree (more or less).

2) Some people will give their real names. They get respectless answers from other people, let me say "Dickerle", JimB737 or OPope.

In this case there are again two possibilities:

2a) They are no customers from Aerosoft anymore. Don't know if this is in the interest of Aerosoft.

2b) They make a new account with a "real name".

2c) = 2a + 2b might be a third possibility.

• Deputy Sheriffs

John, on the other hand, PMDG has applied this since 1997 according to their official forum. It doesn't seem to have any significant effect in the areas you mention, including "no customers." As Mathijs noted in the lead post, he's talked to Robert Randazzo of PMDG and so had the benefit of their experience when he opened the required use of full names for comment.

Herman, best greetings to Seattle!

It's very easy: it's the decision of Aerosoft, not mine.

I only want to give feedback from the perspective of a customer.

(Yes, I've bought one or two addons from PMDG, but now when I read that I would not get support from them, because I have my principles, I will never buy PMDG again.

I never needed support from them, but might be. I don't want to step in this risk. There are enough alternatives for me.)

But let me give another example:

It's obvious that people like "Dickerle", JimB737 or OPope think, that some writers in this forum are stupid. Or they want to show the other readers that these posters are stupid.

If these posters have written with their real name, the situation could escalate very quick, because they must write / "fight" for their honour.

If these posters have written with a nickname or pseudonyme, they could smile more easily and the situation could deescalate much better.

But we can discuss all day long, some people believe that death penalty reduces crime and some people think that it only brings crime to a higher level, so that this will increase crime.

The statistics are very clear that the last theory is right.

Mathijs Kok and others seam to believe in (death) penalty, and you will see the statistics. The statistics are not in this funny poll, the statistics will be in the development of sales figures.

Aerosoft: just try it, if you want.

Have a nice day

John

P.S.: But I'm very happy, that it seems that Aerosoft now has realized, that "deputies" should not write under names like "Dickerle" or JimB737.

Would you accept an judgement if the official name of the judge were "Dickerle" or "§0815"?

And if you want to let these guys to moderate, that means to let the emotions calm down, do you think that "deputy" is a good name for this job?

Last but not least: maybe there is a difference between PMDG and Aerosoft: PMDG does not have "deputies" like "Dickerle" or JimB737?

If PMDG treats their customers respectfully instead of trying to punish them, there are best conditions that everybody will show respect to them as well.

So if Aerosoft has problems with lack of respect, they should improve the causes instead of doctoring the symptoms.

(Hope again, that I've found the right words)

Nice day again to everybody

John

• Aerosoft
13 minutes ago, Matthias Markus said:

I fully agree! But, what a shame, I missunderstood the    question and voted "yes". Please correct this if possible. Real names are more personally, nicer and fit more to a community than nicknames.

Have a nice day,

Matthias

Done!

vor 15 Stunden , Farlis sagte:

I have no problem with dropping my anonymity per se. I already do that in the PMDG part of the AVSIM Forum because they demand you do. I already reveal my first name here.

The problem I have though is that I use only a handful of nicknames on the internet and revealing my identity makes it easier to connect me across the board to other activities. And I don't want to be that transparent to other people.

I have the same problem as Farlis, regarding the "only a handful of nicknames" - while just like him, I do not mind using my real name per se. It depends on the context, and since we all know how extremely toxic parts of our community have become meanwhile, I have voted for "Not sure" while tending to a "Yes". Yes, I would have to think a lot if I was demanded to state my real name here. And it would bother me a lot not to post here anymore, since I usually enjoy the exchange with other forum members and the Aerosoft team.

And to @Mathijs Kok: You should also consider the problem of users who write here during their working times. I don't know whether all of them are too keen about having to publish their full name here. If they have an unforgiving employer, this might lead them into trouble.

+1

@Farlis  @FWAviation   I think, as long as Mopperle and TomA320 are registered with these names, you can keep your sign-in name FWAviation. Should be no problem for anybody.

And in your signature you give a "real name" like Donald Customer or Mike Customer or David Customer, so that everybody can adress you with your first name. The name you want to be addressed in this forum.
But you can keep your anonymity and it will be clear for everybody that you are not a lyer by giving a false name, but only want to keep your right for anonymity.

Good Idea? Hope so.

• Deputy Sheriffs
43 minutes ago, FWAviation said:

You should also consider the problem of users who write here during their working times. I don't know whether all of them are too keen about having to publish their full name here. If they have an unforgiving employer, this might lead them into trouble.

Eventhough I understand what you're saying ... if the given boss isn't unforgiving and one knows that shouldn't anyone just wait till he or she gets of work and then reply into a forum? Just stating the obvious and my personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less :)

vor 56 Minuten, FWAviation sagte:

You should also consider the problem of users who write here during their working times.

Why should HE consider when people do something they are not supposed to do?

@Farlis Karsten, just imagine that Donald Trump or Barack Obama would post here in their leisure-time . . .

Or just have a little diversion after hard negotiations with Kim Jong-un . . .

Or just a lot of people being the bosses of their own companies. Would not be a good idea to post under the real name . . .

I wish I had used my name. As for accountability, we all need to be accountable to our words and opinions in a world of UN-SOCIAL media. For those who do not understand, this is not a democracy, it's a developers forum, Aerosoft makes the rules.

vor 7 Minuten, Farlis sagte:

Why should HE consider when people do something they are not supposed to do?

It was a mere suggestion - and an explanation for one of the many reasons why users might find it difficult to state a real name on a forum. Quoting Jeroen: Nothing more, nothing less.

vor 1 hour , John Kunde sagte:

@Farlis Karsten, just imagine that Donald Trump or Barack Obama would post here in their leisure-time . . .

Or just have a little diversion after hard negotiations with Kim Jong-un . . .

Or just a lot of people being the bosses of their own companies. Would not be a good idea to post under the real name . . .

Why would that be an issue, John?

Imagine walking into a record store and meeting Obama in the Jazz section or your boss at Wal-Mart.

You make it sound as if Aerosoft was in the business of selling illegal contraband or pushing hookers. ;)

vor 35 Minuten, Farlis sagte:

You make it sound as if Aerosoft was in the business of selling illegal contraband or pushing hookers. ;)

;)

:D

Hey, it was _you_ saying this! ;)

But now I get an idea why there are deputies in this game ;)

• Aerosoft
5 hours ago, John Kunde said:

I think, as long as Mopperle and TomA320 are registered with these names, you can keep your sign-in name FWAviation.

Of course, the rules would apply to everybody. 

Mind if I change the discussion a bit? Why should I be willing to discuss anything with a person who does not even want to give his name? Being 59 it could be I am a dinosaur in this day and age but I have been moderating forums for since 1983 and I can see a direct link between the increased anonymity and the toxicity of online communities. I find it crazy that we have to deal with people who make five accounts to vote one account up or to use all five to make snide comments to another user. The length people go to to win a fight on a forum is stunning.  Of course, it will only offer a modicum of relieve but the simple fact is the 20+ communities I visited that do apply this rule are on the whole simply more pleasant and more civil. And of course, for people who refuse, we always have  https://desk.zoho.com/portal/aerosoft/newticket

And although I kindly asked people who voted against my proposal to explain why so we have some ideas, 80% did not even do that, Many have never even posted something but they simply clicked. How valid should I take the opinion of a person who is not willing to give his name but also not willing to explain why? 

I might not agree with you all the time (hell no, lol), but I respect you for speaking your mind.

Archived