Real names

Real names yes or no?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stop posting to our forums if we ask you to sign your posts with your real name click > yes. If you do not mind real names click > no.

• Aerosoft

Gentlemen, few ladies, have a question to ask you.

We are considering to ask forum users to use their real name when they post on the forum. The reason for this is rather simple. We want people to respect each other and not to hide behind nicks. If I would meet any of you at a show we would shake hands and learn each others name. That makes it a lot harder to be impolite. Forums like those of PMDG use this rule and after talking to Robert today I know they will use this on their new forums (https://forum.pmdg.com/) as well. Robert Randazzo believes it makes the forum a better place to be and I tend to agree with him. 

I do not believe this has any privacy-related issues, certainly for many German users a major issue, because I simply do not see why using your name could hurt your privacy. Like I said, if we would meet you in public I will greet you and introduce myself. If you would be unwilling to state your name I would most likely not be interested in talking to you. I simply do do not see why a forum would be different.

So, therefore, a poll! If you vote 'yes' please be so kind as to leave a message why not. 

Please note two users asked me to change the votes they did as they misunderstood the question. I tried to make it more clear.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience it makes a forum much more polite using real names and I agree 100%.

Some other forums are switched to this rule and it looks much more better than, in terms of behaviour. 

• Aerosoft
2 minutes ago, Quebrantahuesos said:

Might be a good idea, but do you really think people will pu their real name in and not something like Donald Trump or Donald Duck?

Well, let's assume that we block those. And even then, don't you feel it is more polite to call somebody Donald and not Quebrantahuesos or Artox67? 

I also do not really understand why somebody would invent another name and not use their own name.

vor 3 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Well, let's assume that we block those. And even then, don't you feel it is more polite to call somebody Donald and not Quebrantahuesos or Artox67? 

I also do not really understand why somebody would invent another name and not use their own name.

Why me ? 😛 

• Deputy Sheriffs
11 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Of course it would be more polite and people might be more respectfull. as it is easer to call an anonymous person an idiot then one with a real name.

• Developer

Do that without request in all post here and elsewhere. When you not willing to stay with your name behind your post, what ear should others give your statements.

I have paid almost as much attention to this matter over the past 14 years, and both as a user and a pretty seasoned moderator, I have to agree that having people use their real names is really the only way to go.  Not only does it solve a myriad of issues for the forum owner and software developer/distributor, but it benefits the user community even more.  Think of it this way, when someone uses their real name, you can bet that a the forum will quickly become one where almost all needless and senseless bickering in the forum vanishes, thus making the forum a much more welcome and friendly place to come and get assistance and get questions answered.

It would be a VERY positive change for all parties.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  For those concerned about Internet searches for someone's name, all they have to do is simply use a Signature Banner because as a graphic, it's not directly searchable by searching for someone's name.  And.. Aerosoft has some great signature banners available!

I sincerely hope this happens... and I hope we can bring back UPVOTES only.

Best wishes!

I feel like people should at least provide their first name and the first letter of their last name, like I do. If for privacy reasons they don't want to give their full last name that should be fine, but at least you know what to call them.

PS my last name is not really a secret, it's just that I've shortened it. In case anyone would like to know, the Z in my name stands for Zonneveld.

I have the full name at avsim, mainly because of the PMDG forum, which requires it.  There's a little concern for privacy, but in for a penny, in for a pound I guess...i.e. the name is out there already.

As an aside, I really like the way you guys run your forum.  Other notable forums are not handled as well, in my opinion.

• Deputy Sheriffs

As you can see there are already a lot of people putting their real name into the signature. If you  also want to put your real name (despite of how the future forum rules look like), you can put your real name as simple text or as picture which includes your real name (e.g. some virtual airlines offer special banners for this purpose) into the signature. How to do so is very simply:

In the upper right corner of this webpage click on your account name and then on "Account Settings"

Please login to display this image.

In the next window click on "Signature" in the left menu, now a dialogbox opens where you can put year real name as text or pictur/banner into it. But please follow the "Signature Restrictions" explained above the dialog box:

Please login to display this image.

Hi,

I am fully supporting the idea for signing posts with real names in any forum. Using a real name means honor, responsibility and courage to express your thoughts and plead for them.

2 hours ago, Goshob said:

Hi,

I am fully supporting the idea for signing posts with real names in any forum. Using a real name means honor, responsibility and courage to express your thoughts and plead for them.

Perfect!  You nailed it my friend!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Why do you see any privacy issue? If you meet somebody in the public and introduce yourself, do you also see a privacy issue?

And in case you are afraid that a webcrawler could grab your name, simply include it in a picture and post this picture in the signature.

And Daan, you left alreday so many public traces on the web like instagram, twitter and elsewhere, so that posting here your real name is not really a problem. ;)

29 minutes ago, Daantjeeuh said:

And who is going to verify I'm using my real name (nobody)?. So why then enforce it.

Well as Mathijs explained, it got something to do with politeness and trust against our users that they do not need to use fakes.

And believe me, you can set up rules where you would be able to check whether you use your real name or not and other devs running forums like this already do so.

• Developer
45 minutes ago, Daantjeeuh said:

What about the obvious topic of privacy? There might be reasons people don't want to give out real names.

When you want to keep your privacy, simple only read. Nobody force you to make a statement here, but when you do it, you don't do it in your privacy, you do it in public.

45 minutes ago, Daantjeeuh said:

And who is going to verify I'm using my real name (nobody)?. So why then enforce it.

Nobody will be able to check it, but it is a difference to simply make statements by hide your name or to make a statement using by full knowlage a wrong name. You lie before you make your statement, think about it ;)

I have no problem with dropping my anonymity per se. I already do that in the PMDG part of the AVSIM Forum because they demand you do. I already reveal my first name here.

The problem I have though is that I use only a handful of nicknames on the internet and revealing my identity makes it easier to connect me across the board to other activities. And I don't want to be that transparent to other people.

Archived