DC-8: Usage of default fsx flghtplan possible (with gps) ??

Guy9

Hello,

I bought this Dc-8 , installed it and have made a first (successful) flight.

Seems good plane with many systems and manual flying is quite easy.

As I am more an occasional  simmer and not so an INS-fan I tried to use the default flight plan (gps) .

But I found no way to make it work. The usage of Gps seems to be desactivated.

So I had to use HDG finally for lateral navigation with autopilot.

So My question is :

1)Is there a way to make the plane follow the default flightplan (without using Ins at all)  or if not, maybe

2)Is it possible to create a default flightplan and introduce it automatically into the INS (there are other add-ons who offer this possiblity)

It's just a question so

Please do not shout at me for not wanting to use the INS 😊

Thanks in advance.

Guy

• Developer
5 hours ago, Guy9 said:

Please do not shout at me for not wanting to use the INS

You bought the airplane -- you can use it anyway you like!

Having said that, the aircraft loads with the INS on, aligned and in nav mode.  All you have to do is load a standard FSX flight plan using the P3D/FSX menu and it will automatically go into the INS.  With the autopilot on, turn the turn mode switch to "AUX" and the aircraft will follow the flightplan.  You don't have to touch anything on the INS unless you want to explore it's capabilities.  There will be some drift from the correct position, but it's not significant on short flights and even on longer ones you will typically resume VOR navigation before beginning you approach. 

• Developer

I should add that if you want to start from cold and dark, then the INS will go off and you will need to go through the alignment process.  But there is a workaround even for this. You can load the airplane, connect external power, set the battery switch to EXT and then shut down the engines with the fuel valves.  This way the INS will stay on and stay aligned. 

Thanks for the detailed explanations.

I have it working now !

You have to create a high-airways IFR flight plan to have it being entered in the INS.

The AP follows well  the waypoints of the INS but I saw some light 'aileron-fluttering' while doing this.

This fluttering does not appear when using  HDG.

Also when engaging the vertical speed on the AP , I saw some severe pitching oscillations before it stabilised on the correct value.

I saw also pitching oscillations on ILS approach. Plane seems to react very sensitively to speed modifications in this phase.

But probably with some more experience I will master this !  

Fortunately manual flying is very easy , a joy !

All in all, pleasing plane !  😊

Archived