First tutorial flight questions, several.

JackSwyr

Hi, first let me say I love this A318/319!  I have never been happier with a P3D plane.

I just did the first real tutorial flight per the manual but I have some observations and questions as to what I have done wrong.

1. I have a constant NO PED, I googled this and discovered it has to do with the seat belt sign.  But no matter what position it's in I have this message.

2. Why do I get a PRED W/S ECAM message?  I can't even find the Windshear switch :huh:

3. With the Pilot and Copilot settings set per the tutorial in checklist mode I kept hearing her say over and over about the TCAS, so no matter what switch position it was in she wouldn't stop, so I had to skip this.  What am I doing wrong?  I tried STBY/TA/TA/RA.

4. Why did I get an orange ENTER DEST DATA message when everything was set up exactly per the tutorial, I even had it do a successful and perfect autoland.

5. What is AOC?  I googled it and I came up with Air Operations Center?  Is this correct?

6. And finally, and most frustratingly, I am so unclear on the exact specific steps to get weather/winds into this plane.  I have AS4 but I simply can't figure out how to do it.  Can someone write out an exact step-by-step guide to do this?

Sorry for so many questions and many thanks for any replies.

Best regards.

Jack

53 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

1. I have a constant NO PED, I googled this and discovered it has to do with the seat belt sign.  But no matter what position it's in I have this message.

It's actually not the seat belt sign, it's the No Personal Electronic Device (PED) switch right next to the seat belt sign.

54 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

2. Why do I get a PRED W/S ECAM message?  I can't even find the Windshear switch

It's a small switch down on the Right Lower portion of the Weather Radar (WXR).

54 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

3. With the Pilot and Copilot settings set per the tutorial in checklist mode I kept hearing her say over and over about the TCAS, so no matter what switch position it was in she wouldn't stop, so I had to skip this.  What am I doing wrong?  I tried STBY/TA/TA/RA.

Can't help you there as I don't use the CoPilot or Checklist functions.  Please post in this in the Copilot/Checklist part of the forum and the guy who writes that code (Hanse) will answer.

56 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

4. Why did I get an orange ENTER DEST DATA message when everything was set up exactly per the tutorial, I even had it do a successful and perfect autoland.

You won't know the Desent related information (which is really weather and runway based information) until you're ready for Descent, and even then it can change and might need updated.  Simply enter the required information in the MCDU Approach Page.

58 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

5. What is AOC?  I googled it and I came up with Air Operations Center?  Is this correct?

Airlines Operational Control.  Try Googling "Airbus MCDU AOC".

59 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

6. And finally, and most frustratingly, I am so unclear on the exact specific steps to get weather/winds into this plane.  I have AS4 but I simply can't figure out how to do it.  Can someone write out an exact step-by-step guide to do this?

1. Download a P3D Flightplan created by SimBrief, PFPX, or any number of freeware applications that can generate a FSX/P3D Flightplan.  Put the flightplan file in the Documents\Prepar3d Files folder.

2. Open ActiveSky, select the Flightplan Page, and Load the flightplan you created in Step 1 into ActiveSky.  You may wish to ensure ActiveSky is in the Live Weather mode.

3. In MCDU3, insure that "Sim" is selected.

You're done.

Best wishes!

45 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You won't know the Descent related information (which is really weather and runway based information) until you're ready for Descent, and even then it can change and might need updated.  Simply enter the required information in the MCDU Approach Page.

1. Download a P3D Flightplan created by SimBrief, PFPX, or any number of freeware applications that can generate a FSX/P3D Flightplan.  Put the flightplan file in the Documents\Prepar3d Files folder.

2. Open ActiveSky, select the Flightplan Page, and Load the flightplan you created in Step 1 into ActiveSky.  You may wish to ensure ActiveSky is in the Live Weather mode.

3. In MCDU3, insure that "Sim" is selected.

You're done.

Best wishes!

Thanks Dave!

But it was already entered in the Approach Page, this is what baffled me.

And I will try your AS4 advice with PFPX in a little bit.

I really appreciate your help!

Hi Dave. Regarding the winds again.

I did everything exactly as described.

I created a .PLN PFPX file for EGGW to EGPE, saved it to the location you mentioned.  I then ran AS4, loaded the .PLN file and had a nice long list of winds.

I kept AS4 running and loaded the Bus and created the flight plan in the MCDU but when I the INIT page and click on LSK 4R and see an orange WIND REQUEST *, click on it, I get for maybe one second a bunch of dashed lines, then:

TRU  WIND/ALT

[ ] / [ ] / [ ] Nothing else.

I must be doing something wrong. :( 

6 hours ago, pilot-a320 said:

Hi JackSwyr,

In case of unclear messages that make little sense, the current ECAM status query helps.
Simply press the T.O Config button.

Greetings Martin.

Hi Martin, thanks for that advice, it makes good sense and I never thought of it.  I like the way Airbus designed this TO Config system, it's a good safety feature.

Hi Dave, no matter what I do I can’t see the winds in the MCDU like I see on some people’s YouTubes.  I’ve tried all your suggestions as seen in my post above, all I get is:

TRU  WIND/ALT

[ ] / [ ] / [ ] Nothing else.

I start AS4 first, load a .PLN file and see lots of winds at all altitudes in AS4’s flight plan screen, but when I’m either on the ground or in the air it simply won’t display the winds.  I made a flight from Luten to Inverness last night and the plane performed brilliantly and it was awesome, I even had huge weather returns on the screen which was cool.  But no winds in the MCDU.

I must be doing something wrong if others can do it.

Also, is the DDCU modeled?  It’s always black and no buttons work on it, I looked in all the manuals and did a search here but got nothing except in the manual where it says what it is.

And what about the flight data recorder?  How do I use that?  Is there a manual reference for that?

So all in all I really love this plane.  My only wish is for more 318 liveries.  They seem to be very rare.  Is this because not many companies flew them? If someone can direct me to more 318 liveries I’d be very happy as the little bus is my all-time favorite.

Sorry so long and so much in one post.

Best to you.

Jack

Hey Jzck. I will be on the Discord voice server most all day tomorrow (Sunday) starting around 1500 GMT.  If you'll log in. I'll help you get it together my friend. Do me a favor and do a computer sevurity scan of your computer thus evening and post the results on Discord, and if your system is clean I'll do some desktop support because that will be x10 faster for us.

11 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Hey Jzck. I will be on the Discord voice server most all day tomorrow (Sunday) starting around 1500 GMT.  If you'll log in. I'll help you get it together my friend. Do me a favor and do a computer sevurity scan of your computer thus evening and post the results on Discord, and if your system is clean I'll do some desktop support because that will be x10 faster for us.

Thanks Dave but how do I do a security scan?  Never done one before.

• Deputy Sheriffs
7 hours ago, JackSwyr said:

Also, is the DDCU modeled?

Yes and no; it is planned to use the DCDU but depends on a 3rd party product currently not available.

7 hours ago, JackSwyr said:

And what about the flight data recorder?  How do I use that?  Is there a manual reference for that?

It doenst work as it is still a 32bit app, that wont run under P3Dv4. Unfortunately it made its way into the installer.

Regarding the winds:

Aerosoft uses the same file that PMDG uses for their Aircraft. If you do not have a PMDG aircraft, you have to create the following folder in your P3D directory:
\PMDG\WX

When you now load the flightplan in AS, the windfile should be created automatically in this folder where it is read from the Bus.

5 hours ago, mopperle said:

Regarding the winds:

Aerosoft uses the same file that PMDG uses for their Aircraft. If you do not have a PMDG aircraft, you have to create the following folder in your P3D directory:
\PMDG\WX

When you now load the flightplan in AS, the windfile should be created automatically in this folder where it is read from the Bus.

Thanks, I have all of PMDG’s planes but I’m not sure if I have this folder.  As soon as I am able I’ll check and create one if I don’t have one and test again.  Appreciate you helping me.

1 hour ago, JackSwyr said:

Thanks, I have all of PMDG’s planes but I’m not sure if I have this folder.  As soon as I am able I’ll check and create one if I don’t have one and test again.  Appreciate you helping me.

I'm on the Voice Server Jack, swing on by and we'll get you sorted.

57 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm on the Voice Server Jack, swing on by and we'll get you sorted.

Thanks Dave, wish I could but I have many real world things going on right now :( 

12 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

Thanks Dave, wish I could but I have many real world things going on right now :( 

No problem my friend!  I'm doing Aerosoft work and doing flights all day, so I'll be on the 'puter and voice server until I knock off at 0000 GMT.

Archived