Wind Request from Active Sky

Sabretooth78

I noticed a possible bug in the MCDU INIT wind request, using Active Sky as my weather engine.  For all the waypoints I checked, it seemed to be pulling in the correct wind information, but at an offset altitude.  i.e., what Active Sky was reporting as FL240, the bus was reporting as being FL180, etc.  See the screenshots:

Please login to display this image.

Has anybody else noticed this?  I'll be running another flight this afternoon and will check it again.

I haven't noticed this, but the other day I noticed that the ActiveSky Weather Server was locked up... kept winds the same for about 300nm even though it's own weather report showed different.  I am waiting for a meeting with HiFi about some other things, so I'll ask about this as well.

In your case, which weather source did you have active in MCDU#3?  For ActiveSky and the Aircraft to be the same, Sim weather should be set to active.

• Deputy Sheriffs

No, I can not confirm this:

IMHO it is very important to take care that a valid flighplan is entered in the Airbus and the same flightplan is loaded in AS; AND all performance parameter are set. Otherwise the wind page does not display the correct CRZ ALT waypoint.

Weather servers can be temperamental (ask HiFi and REX about how temperamental they can be!).  I think we need to be concerned with repeatability here.

Even though I almost always check the Wind data (for CFD development) during my flights, I'll pay a little more attention to this.

Let's see if the phenomenon is repeatable by anyone, and if so we're dig into this.

Both instances have been with a SimBrief flight plan (FSX/P3D PLN format) loaded into P3D (and thus picked up by AS) with the FMGS plan being downloaded from SimBrief, cleaned up in the Company Route Editor (*) and then loaded into the Bus.  I'll be doing another flight this evening, is there any step you would recommend me exploring further?  Given that there's no elevation info imported into the Bus I don't understand why this problem would be caused unless AS is getting messed up somehow and then passing along the wrong info.

*  The SimBrief-downloaded company brief often has several lat/lon coordinates in the route string when viewed in the Company Route Editor.  I typically clear those out, delete the runway and SID/STAR info, and make sure there's a DCT before the first waypoint and between all non-airway points.  Not doing that last step seems to mess up the route upload into the FMGS; if you have a string of 3 waypoints, say WYPT1 WYPT2 WYPT3 (without DCTs in between), the MCDU has for me in the past imported this as WAYPT1 -> airway WYPT2 -> WYPT3 which basically skips WYPT2.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Best is you generate a flightplan, post the file here and we can compare it.

What I experienced: when you load a flightplan and then request the wind data, without entering the CI and CRZ LVL on INit page A without data on page B and without the Perf data, I got a different CRZ waypoint. And the seems logical to me, as the Bus doenst know without all the data when in fact the CRZ ALT will be reached.

59 minutes ago, Sabretooth78 said:

(FSX/P3D PLN format) loaded into P3D (and thus picked up by AS)

I'm just a bit confused by this. 

How, and why are you loading the flight plan into P3D?  There is no need to do this, and a few reasons I can think of why you don't want to.

1 hour ago, Sabretooth78 said:

(and thus picked up by AS)

Are you not loading the flight plan into AS4 yourself?  I don't believe that loading it into P3D (which again, is problematic) will automatically load it to AS4.  As far as I know, you have to deliberating load the flightplan into AS4.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ok, I never load a flightplan in P3D itself as the AIrbus (and other complex aircraft) never make use of a P3D plan. And this might be teh problem, as P3D doesnt know anthing about the waypoints and routes you have in the plan of the aircraft.

I went through the 2nd page of the INIT page and entered in the departure runway and SID information before running the wind request and this time it seemed to work properly.  I was typically doing the wind request before page 2, so that was probably the problem.

Prior to running an actual flight I had tried it not thinking I had loaded a P3D flight plan and it worked that time, but it turned out that a flight plan had loaded (SimStarter was set to load the most recent flight plan).  That said, upon opening another (any) flight plan from the FSUIPC Add-Ons menu entry and reloading the wind request, I got the problem of incorrect altitudes again.  The only way to fix it at this point was to delete all of the waypoints from the P3D plan from within P3D (or presumably reload a new plan with only the departure and arrival airports) - with such a plan loaded, the weather update behaved again.

So there seem to be a couple of ways to "break" the wind request.

Archived