Managed speed issues

Secondator

I had the same bug with the A330 today.

Operating System: Windows 10
Simulator version: P3D v4.5 with all hotfixes
Airbus version: A330 V1.0.0
Add-ons in use: Active sky, ORBX openLC, Vector, Base, several scenerys, IVAO, vpilot.

System specs: see pic

Description of the issue:
Flying with a strong crosswind from EHAM-CYEG at the north top of Scotland, the managed speed suddenly switched to 119KTS and the A/THR tried to reduce the speed. No chance to change this again, only selected speed is available. It happend some minutes after I´ve entered the Mach Number for the oceanic leg in the resprecive FMGS field, but the Waypoint where to start with M.82 was still 200nm to go. After passing the oceanic entry fix, I deleted the preselected Mach number. Thereafter the managed speed decreased even more from 119KTS to 0KTS.

Are you able to reproduce the issue? If so, what are the exact steps you are taking for this issue to happen? --

Additional information (route, weights, special area where the issue occurred etc.):

EHAM/24 BERGI1S BERGI L602 SUPUR P1 ROKAN N96 NEXUS UP59
BALIX DCT 63N020W 65N030W 66N040W 67N050W DCT DARUB DCT 66N070W
65N077W DCT YZS J540 YEK DCT YVC J505 YWV V302 CAMRA IGSOX2 CYEG/12

Crosswindcomponent ca. 75kt, GW202800kg, Fuel 48600kg, SAT -47°C

Please login to display this image.

I experienced the erroneous "magenta" PFD speed again sometime after the IAS/Mach crossover, this time with the A333.  Identical to my experience when it appears on the A320, the aircraft maintained the "correct" speed and the magenta number declined with altitude and simply vanished after reaching cruise.

• Deputy Sheriffs

@Sabretooth78do you have by any chance FSUIPC autosaves enabled? If so, when you next time see the speed to drop, post the autosave files that you have taken before the speed dropped and test if it happens again at the same point with the saved flight. If so post us here the saved files and let us know exactly where it happens and we'll try to fix the case. We believe we have been able to solve most of these conditions but there are still few out there which will come out by trial and error.

15 hours ago, timma said:

My first flight flew the SID cinda1a out of eddf at 4000ft i got the overspeed alert

Did you follow the tutorial flight? Set thrust levers from TOGA/FLEX to CLB, retract your gear and flaps on schedule, altitude and speed in managed mode etc..

1 hour ago, Secondator said:

@Sabretooth78do you have by any chance FSUIPC autosaves enabled? If so, when you next time see the speed to drop, post the autosave files that you have taken before the speed dropped and test if it happens again at the same point with the saved flight. If so post us here the saved files and let us know exactly where it happens and we'll try to fix the case. We believe we have been able to solve most of these conditions but there are still few out there which will come out by trial and error.

Did you follow the tutorial flight? Set thrust levers from TOGA/FLEX to CLB, retract your gear and flaps on schedule, altitude and speed in managed mode etc..

Yes i fly the labs 4 more than 3yrs never had this problem

15 hours ago, Secondator said:

Lately I haven't been using autosave but I'll turn it on for my next A330 flight.  Should be sometime this week.  Way back (somewhere earlier in this thread probably) when I was having these issues on the A320 I seem to recall doing just that and finding it wasn't always repeatable.  Could it be a simple PFD issue?  The actual autoflight does not honor it (at least not in these instances, as opposed to the instances during cruise where it does) and the correct data always shows in the MCDU PERF pages.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, Secondator said:

I did have this error recur with the A330 on a recent flight and I've captured logs and a save made before the error but haven't had the opportunity to test repeatability from the save.  I'll follow up on that later.

Back to the A320 - I just had every flavor (that I've ever experienced so far) of this error both during climb (invalid but ignored target) and cruise (invalid but honored target) I was able to repeat on the same flight plan.  (I only repeated because an unrelated issue prompted me to just want to start the flight over.)

Flight Plan:  KJFK F360 DCT WAVEY DCT EMJAY J174 SWL J121 ISO AMYLU2 KCHS

The issue occurred very quickly on initial climb when I lost my managed speed target - I don't recall the exact moment but it seemed to be at the same time each flight after reaching about 4000 feet.

Process:

• Created a custom waypoint (PBD01) before WAVEY - "JFK/156/10" to give me an intercept target per the JFK5 SID.  (Call it "self-vectoring")
  • Takeoff runway 04L - JFK5 departure - manual climb out and turn to 99 degree heading per SID - instructed FO to set selected heading.
  • Acceleration height 3000 ft, command FO to set selected speed 240 kts (I like to do this to prevent overshoots); follow procedure to 4000 ft then turn to PBD01.
  • (Error began somewhere around here.)
  • Continued manual tracking to PBD01 and then turn to WAVEY, set managed NAV.
  • Continue manual flight to TOC.  (I wanted to fly manual to test new null zones on my "sidestick" controller.)
  • Upon reaching cruise phase, the error persisted and became of the type where setting managed speed would cause an engine rollback to 100-something knots.

Attached are some pictures, logs captured after each error instance (numbered per flight) and some pictures.  Also attached is my SimBrief OFP in case you want to recreate the exact time and setting with AS historical weather.

Fortunately she does fly beautifully manually, and even better with a FO that saves you the work with the FCU!

EDIT:  The error disappeared upon entering the descent phase.  Those logs which had modified times after activating descent are attached.

Logs2.zip Logs1.zip Pictures.zip KJFKKCHS_PDF_31Dec19.pdf

LogsDesc.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Another takeoff from KJFK, and another instance of the managed speed issue immediately on climb out and persisting through cruise.

This again occurred on another departure from KJFK on the JFK5 departure.  I followed the same procedure as in the previous flight, excepting that I did not change the acceleration height this time (kept it at the default 1500' AGL).

Flight Plan:  KJFK F360 DCT WAVEY DCT EMJAY J174 SWL DCT CEBEE DCT WETRO DCT ILM AR15 HIBAC DCT ORL DADES6 KTPA

Commanding 204 kts on climb - MCDU PERF calling for 306/0.79 as appropriate.

Commanding 106 kts during cruise:

Logs attached.

Logs3.zip KJFKKTPA_PDF_18Jan20.pdf

And I have this problem today - flew yesterday with no problems, apart from the checklist that decided to stop working, but that's common.

Today I updated to 1.0.0.7 loaded a flightplan created in PFPX from ESSA to KORD, took off and at around FL180 to managed speed suddenly dropped to 116. I manually climbed to altitude and hit the SPD button to engage managed speed and 116 appeared below the speed tape and the aircraft began slowing. The CRZ page on the MCDU shows MANAGED .80, I set .80 in the SPD window and the aircraft flies normally, but not in managed speed mode.

Flightplan is KOGA2K KOGAV Z255 OSKOK DCT ABADA/N0468F380 DCT 66N000E/M082F380 68N010W 69N020W 69N030W 69N040W 67N050W DCT CLAVY/N0468F380 DCT IKMAN/N0466F400 DCT COPUR DCT YFM DCT GRAMP DCT SSM WYNDE1

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Did the SID populate in the flight plan page for you?

Hmm, not sure, I always check for discos after entering a SID and there weren't any, pretty sure it did fly the SID

6 hours ago, balus said:

Hmm, not sure, I always check for discos after entering a SID and there weren't any, pretty sure it did fly the SID

I can't get the SID or STARs to even show up in the MCDU for KORD.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:16 PM, Sabretooth78 said:

Back to the A320 - I just had every flavor (that I've ever experienced so far) of this error both during climb (invalid but ignored target) and cruise (invalid but honored target) I was able to repeat on the same flight plan.  (I only repeated because an unrelated issue prompted me to just want to start the flight over.)

After seeing your post, I tested the A318 today and on departure the commanded Indicated airspeed was down to around 145 knots when it should have been much higher.  The A/TH wanted to keep this speed, so I manually commanded the airspeed to 250 knots and eventually put the speed back into Managed Mode and it worked fine after that.  I will include this into our bug tracking system.

15 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

After seeing your post, I tested the A318 today and on departure the commanded Indicated airspeed was down to around 145 knots when it should have been much higher.  The A/TH wanted to keep this speed, so I manually commanded the airspeed to 250 knots and eventually put the speed back into Managed Mode and it worked fine after that.  I will include this into our bug tracking system.

That sounds like the same issue - when the issue appears during climb, Managed Mode will still honor the correct speed (that shown on the MCDU) but while in cruise it will honor the incorrect PFD-displayed speed.  Selected Mode and manual flight will work perfectly OK of course, you just need to have your speed target in mind since the bug will not be correctly set.  This all seems to go away when the descent phase is entered - I don't believe I've ever encountered the issue then, while it seems to occur quite frequently especially during climb.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Sabretooth78,

I tried to recreate this issue that you are experiencing as per the steps that you mentioned but did not manage to get the issue myself.

Would it be possible for you to get a saved flight file before takeoff and if the issue happens, send it here. Even better if you could take a video from takeoff up to the point where the issue happens so that I can follow exactly the steps that you have done and check if I can recreate this issue that way.

So far we have been able recreate it in few cases and those cases have been fixed but it seems like there are few cases still left that we have not been able to catch. The nature of the cases we have been able to catch has been very precise with certain way of doing things (for example selecting certain arrival runway with certain STAR and VIA options and making a direct to a specific waypoint with some constraint... you get where I am going with this..), so the exact steps would be very important for us to recreate and understand what is going wrong with the managed speed in that certain case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Hello balus,

I did try to fly the climb with the same route that you provided departing from ESSA runway 26 via KOGAV2K departure and so on. However I was unable to recreate any issue with managed speed. The problem with this issue is that it happens so random and for so selected users that it's nearly impossible for us to recreate these issues for debugging purposes to really understand what is going wrong. I have done hundreds of flights with no speed issues whatsoever. However, we are aware that some people are still experiencing these issues and we are determined to at least try to fix these issues for you guys.

All the logs, videos, screenshots, route data, flight plans, step by step explanations of how you do things are helpful so that we can try to follow your steps as close as possible when trying to recreate these for debugging purposes.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, it is encouraging to hear that it hadn’t been put in the too hard basket as appears is the case with some other issues.

If I have time today I will try another flight with all logging enabled.

Hello, Its my first issue with manage speed. I try to reproduce it.

Operating System: win 10 pro
Simul
ator version: p3d v4.5
Airbus version: 1.0.0.7 latest update from updater
Add-ons in use: Active Sky, Chaseplane, Project Fly, Real Traffic with PSXseencon addon

System specs: i7 8700k, 16GB RAM

Today my flight from EDDF to OREK with simbrief. After setting the star arrival for OREK , speed was automatically set to 140 knots. But on fmc there is 0.82  mach.

It was happend with arrival setting I think. I didnt change to approach phase 🙂

Its not possible to go back to automode. The speed decrease to 140.

So i tried to change the runway from 15R to 15L ( 15R was set from the simbrief flightplan )

The autospeed worked !!!!!

Very strange but it works now.

6 minutes ago, Volkerschwarz said:

Hello, Its my first issue with manage speed. I try to reproduce it.

Operating System: win 10 pro
Simul
ator version: p3d v4.5
Airbus version: 1.0.0.7 latest update from updater
Add-ons in use: Active Sky, Chaseplane, Project Fly, Real Traffic with PSXseencon addon

System specs: i7 8700k, 16GB RAM

Today my flight from EDDF to OREK with simbrief. After setting the star arrival for OREK , speed was automatically set to 140 knots. But on fmc there is 0.82  mach.

It was happend with arrival setting I think. I didnt change to approach phase 🙂

Its not possible to go back to automode. The speed decrease to 140.

So i tried to change the runway from 15R to 15L ( 15R was set from the simbrief flightplan )

The autospeed worked !!!!!

Very strange but it works now.

That is a very good report, thank you!  What you are describing is actually different than the Speed issue in this thread as it occurs during the Cruise phase.  But we still want to take a look.

Can you please provide the Simbrief Airbus and P3D flight plan files as well as the OFP file?

If you have not made another flight since the flight you reported, would you be good enough to zip the Airbus "Data" folder and upload it here?  It will provide us with some good information to look at.

Many thanks!

vor 1 minute, DaveCT2003 sagte:

That is a very good report, thank you!  What you are describing is actually different than the Speed issue in this thread as it occurs during the Cruise phase.  But we still want to take a look.

Can you please provide the Simbrief Airbus and P3D flight plan files as well as the OFP file?

If you have not made another flight since the flight you reported, would you be good enough to zip the Airbus "Data" folder and upload it here?  It will provide us with some good information to look at.

Many thanks!

Your welcome,

I will do it today

regards

Volker

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Volker,

Thanks for the data folder. I noticed that you have a speed drop logged on one of the log files about 5 minutes after you reached the cruise which lasted for around 2 minutes. Was this when you changed the runway? Any other information on how you interacted with the aircraft around that time?

Vor 1 Stunde, Secondator sagte:

Hello Volker,

Thanks for the data folder. I noticed that you have a speed drop logged on one of the log files about 5 minutes after you reached the cruise which lasted for around 2 minutes. Was this when you changed the runway? Any other information on how you interacted with the aircraft around that time?

Correct, that was the time of changing the runway. Otherwise, I started the realtraffic addon with PSXseenconTraffic. But it occured with runway change.

But Im flying since than without any issue and hope for a safe landing in Rhyiad 🙂

regards