Managed speed issues

Secondator

Hello

i want to reply at Frank.j.Herter for his topic above.

I agree with him: it seems that the problem arise mainly over united states and with airbus A321.

In europe now, with the bus 1.2.3.1 i have no more difficulties. all this countered strange but i confirm that i had the same impression.

Michel

vor 45 Minuten, DaveCT2003 sagte:

I've made 3 to 4 flights per week in the US for the past several years and I almost always fly the A321, and I've never had the issue.

This statement makes less sense because we talk about the Airbus 64bit out since a couple of month not years. Could be with the old one it was different. 

BTW your quote is empty, so I assume you jump in into my and mtlt (now I know why we need real names 😄 ) posts.

Cheers

50 minutes ago, Frank J. Herter said:

This statement makes less sense because we talk about the Airbus 64bit out since a couple of month not years. Could be with the old one it was different. 

BTW your quote is empty, so I assume you jump in into my and mtlt (now I know why we need real names 😄 ) posts.

Cheers

Sorry my friend, but I've been flying the Airbus Professional for over 2 years now, I've been part of the Beta Team since the very start.

Hi, just posting to confirm speed issue on all oceanic region flights after using updater v1.2.3. Have now reverted back to version 1.2.1 where the speed management is great again.

Regards,

22 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:
  • We now have twelve customers who had the issue and do not have the issue after doing a full clean install of the sim (in five of those also the OS was re-installed). I think that that is proof that on those machines there simply has to be a local element to the issue don't you believe? In these cases, I think it is justified to say the problem was on the users machine in these cases, don't you think?

A reinstall does fix it temporarily, but in my case the issue comes back after I use the updater.

I've completed a good few successful managed flights and although from a Boeing background I understand the bus fairly well now and  (PUSH / PULL, OP DES / DES) and have done some homework on all this reading the docs. I am really enjoying learning to fly this bus. The version I have is Professional (version 1.2.3.0)

However I have struggled with zoom descents/ascents especially when using manual ALT.

Anyway the latest issue is during a managed flight the auto pilot set the speed to 0 causing Alpha Floor TOGALOCK during descent. I pulled speed and alt, re-engaged the autopilot and the auto pilot went into a dive causing overspeed.

It is possible I missed something, I certainly cannot believe the real bus could ever do this? 

Perhaps someone can look at the pics here and see if they can spot the issue? I was using ProjectFly to track the flight (EDDM-EBBR) so the profile below helps to illuminate what happened. The redline is GS. 

FLIGHT DETAILS

SOP flight with Checklist/Co pilot, managed from 4000ft 

Flight plan entered with no discontinuities 

STAR input prior to descent

Descent Prep checklist completed

Descent initiated by selecting FL100 then left clicking the ALT toggle

PROBLEM 1

A few minutes in I saw my speed decreasing past FLT-PLAN 286KTS (@BATTY)

I looked at my PFD and saw 0 (in purple) 

I watched in horror as the plane approached stall 

AF TOGALOCK engaged and AT disengaged

I cancelled TOGALOCK and re-engaged AT

Please login to display this image.

PROBLEM 2 

I levelled off and then tried to descend manually

I selected 250 SPEED and pulled the toggle

I pulled the ALT toggle 

The plane entered an 8000FTM descent and went OVERSPEED ignoring the speed setting

Pushing and Pulling ALT made no difference the plane continued to dive as in the image 

What should I have done here, should I have set the VS too?

FLIGHT PROFILE

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, delly said:

I've completed a good few successful managed flights and although from a Boeing background I understand the bus fairly well now and  (PUSH / PULL, OP DES / DES) and have done some homework on all this reading the docs. I am really enjoying learning to fly this bus. The version I have is Professional (version 1.2.3.0)

Moved post to the correct forum.

Are you able to get any log files or video for us about the issue?

11 minutes ago, Secondator said:

Moved post to the correct forum.

Are you able to get any log files or video for us about the issue?

Sorry, I don't have video and I am not sure what logs I would have?

The company route probably isn't that useful is it?

I could try re-flying the route with the same AS weather and see if it happens again, is there something I could turn on to log the flight in more detail?

I installed 1.2.3.1 and flew the same route/time with similar weather (30kt headwind). 

I did not see any loss of speed control during any stage of the flight.

I did notice when AS suddenly updated the headwind to a tailwind the plane struggled, the pitch yoyo'd sharply and power went to max. But it did recover control.

I will continue to run in debug mode.

I Tried a couple of flights over the last couple of days using the A320 version 123.1. After updating the Aerosoft updater. I tried using different variants as well, All flights went well except 1 and that was using the A320 Industrial version, Thats when i had the speed loss, All the other variants went well.

Hi, I have made 8 flights this weekend with all models (A320-321 , both IAE and CFM)  and 4 different routes. All flights performed perfectly. this is the first time that happens, in my case.

Last week I had 2 succesful flights. The third one failed with Alpha floor with the A320 IAE. My installation was P3D 4.4 , PMDG 747 and AS A320.

Last friday , i did a fully clean installation of W10, P3D 4.4 and AS A320 (no 747).  Fingers crossed, but i ´m enjoying the buses a lot. this weekend. More than ever.

In my opinión , there are some refinements to be done, like the Little shaking on finals or the implementation of the blue stick in HDG mode  which was present in the old product , but  love these buses.

Best.

Miquel.

I encountered this issue again. Here are some of my unqualified observations based on my last few flights.

I did several flights without using the fuel planner/loader and only inputting the values directly from my Simbrief dispatch. If I go that route, I never encountered the issue. We can say I "manually" loaded the airplane. 

Today, feeling quite adventurous, and for a change, I used the loader again. But when I got to pre-flight, I noticed that I need to reduce weights to meet my target CRZ FL. I had to change the loading several times using the MCDU. I think I tinkered with the cargo weights, pax no, and fuel twice.

That's the only different thing I did on this route. AYPY-RPLL. Because the night prior I did the same flight but got a CTD (totally different issue with FMGS.dll) and this time the managed speed problem appeared.

I am using the latest experimental update by the way.

How do I go about posting the log? Is it now or after I finish my 6 hours flight?

I've had the whole A318-321 Pro package since Thursday... I've done maybe a dozen flights (used all the models), and I can tell you that the only times managed speed has provided sensible values at all were my 1) very first flight and 2) my most recent flight.  The common thread between those flights is that I did not set the weight units to LBS, as would be my preference.

The issue I have with managed speed is that it gets stuck on an arbitrary low IAS, usually a few knots above minimum speed.  Managed descent also fails to capture the VNAV path.  I know how to operate the FMGC and A/P...the minimum entries required to fly this add-on are pretty straight-forward. 

Perhaps we can investigate the LBS/KGs thing?

Unfortunately I had this issue too in some recent flights. A319 1.2.3.1 (but also previous version), always EasyJet default livery, always in Europe and near surroundings. Sometimes it happens sometimes not and this is the most frustrating thing, because I use always the same "environment" and there must be at a certain moment something that triggers the issue. I always use Load Manager and set KGS.

I tried to understand what it could be but with no luck so far.

Honestly I know the difficulties to find the cause but it's definitely something that doesn't work as it should.

16 hours ago, C525B said:

I've had the whole A318-321 Pro package since Thursday... I've done maybe a dozen flights (used all the models), and I can tell you that the only times managed speed has provided sensible values at all were my 1) very first flight and 2) my most recent flight.  The common thread between those flights is that I did not set the weight units to LBS, as would be my preference.

The issue I have with managed speed is that it gets stuck on an arbitrary low IAS, usually a few knots above minimum speed.  Managed descent also fails to capture the VNAV path.  I know how to operate the FMGC and A/P...the minimum entries required to fly this add-on are pretty straight-forward. 

Perhaps we can investigate the LBS/KGs thing?

It’s too late to edit my post, but this is not the problem.  I have made three more flights without issue.  I am following this regimen strictly:

-Do not use implied entries in MCDU preflight.  i.e. if block fuel is 15,000 lbs, type “15.0” not “15”.

-Ensure all fields are filled on INIT and PERF and a departure runway selected in FPLAN (you do this anyway to get the FMC-calculated speeds)

-Ensure Managed CLB is selected prior to T/O (press the ALT knob IN, V/S window shows “————— “) 

I realize that #2 & 3 are things you should be doing anyway, so don’t laugh me out...it just seems like we need to be methodical to get to the bottom of this bug, and I’m not sure how many people reporting the issue could be classified as casual vs. serious flyers.

V1.2.3.0.  Also, I use ActiveSky (ASP4 & ASCA) on every flight...some people had mentioned that above as a suspect.

I don't recall having encountered this issue since upgrading to 1.2.3.0 and with any of the subsequent point releases (despite experiencing it quite regularly earlier), but today it has come back with a vengeance!  Flight in progress as I post this:

Plan:  TLPL N0469F340 GEECE Y331 FERNA MACOR L455 SKPPR L455 SAVIK YAALE YETTI MOUGH DONAA OWENZ CAMRN KJFK

Aircraft:  A320 IAE

While climbing, somewhere around FL230, the commanded speed changed to 215.

• This was not reflected by PERF CLB, which still displayed the correct 320/.79 (CI 35).  Interestingly, PERF DES displayed (and continues to display) .79/214, which is clearly incorrect for CI 35.  Not sure if there's a relationship with that setting.
  • Unlike before, where the a/c would still maintain the correct speed (320) in managed mode, this time it attempted to reach the incorrect (215) speed by pitching up.  Nothing drastic, the speed trend arrow was between 5-10 kts long.
  • Unlike before, this commanded speed didn't seem to decay with increasing altitude, nor did it seem to indicate any correlation with crossover altitude.
  • Unlike before, toggling the FCU altitude pushbutton didn't clear/reset the speed target.
  • Around crossover altitude, the SPD MACH button seemed to be acting funny.  The FCU speed window seemed to be rapidly changing between IAS and MACH before eventually (after a second or so) settling on one of the settings.

I stayed in selected mode for some time, before trying managed speed for cruise (which by now I had adjusted to FL360).

• For a brief period it behaved, before suddenly commanding 110 about FL340.
  • This behavior has since persisted every time I toggle between selected and managed speed.
  • Every time after re-entering selected speed, the FCU speed window will be in IAS.

Logs attached; I can reattach them later upon completion of the flight as well.

As a sort of disclaimer, I have not made any hardware or software changes since my last flight, aside from minor SimStarter scenery library configset changes.  Nor have I (that I am aware of!) done anything different procedurally during this flight (including those points mentioned by C525B). 

Logs.zip

Just upgraded to 1.2.3.2 last night.  Two flights today...no issues on the first one, this happened on the second one.
Windows 7 pro.  i7-4790k @ 4.5ghz.  GTX1080Ti.  32GB DDR3.  P3D V4.4

A319 IAE

KLAS BOACH8.LVELL.LUCK1.KSAN FL260

Flying LUCKI1 STAR to KSAN.  LVELL transition was loaded however I proceeded direct MOMAR.  Prior to TOD, I selected the LOC27 approach to KSAN, no approach was selected prior to that.

10 mi prior to MOMAR I selected 12,000', 2 mi prior to MOMAR I armed DES.  MOMAR has a window constraint FL240-260, no speed restriction.  The initial step down to MOMAR was fine, however during the level-off for the constraint at MOMAR, managed speed reset to 214 KIAS, even though there was a 270KT constraint ahead.  I tried to go back into managed speed a few fixes down the road, but it was still commanding something around min speed.

Logs attached.  I paused and copied the logs as soon as I noticed the problem.

logs.zip

Upgraded to 1.2.3 last week. Made 4 flights. The first two flights went without a problem.

On the last two flights, the speed changed on its own, as reported previously.

Sim: P3D V4.4

Airbus: A319 V 1.2.3

Addons in use: Active Sky, EFB V2, ORBX ESSV, Aerosoft LSZH. Second Flight ORBX KEGE and KGPI

System: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, 16GB DIMM, DDR3, I7 3770, no OC, GTX 1080 8GB

On the first flight (flight plan attached) from ESSV to LSZH, immediately after level of the speed went to Alpha-Floor. No way to go back to managed speed, engines would spool down to Alpa Floor.

On the second flight (Plan attached), the same happened when passing the waypoint FETLI. Again, every time I tried to go back to managed speed the engines would spool down until Alpha Floor. During descent, managed speed functioned again.

Sorry, no log. I found this thread too late for initiating logging.

Flight Plans.zip

I have done quite a few flights now with the A320 and have not had any more problems with speed loss. What i done if it helps, is in the updater a white box comes up when you look for updates, I ticked that box and it updated some more stuff, I them closed updater and tried a flight all went well, and has done since.