Alternate Destination with Co Rte Setting corrupt Flight Plan

AMJBecker

I'm flying version 1.2.3 of the Airbus A320 Family Professional and just training myself for defining and enabling alternate destinations. I'm experiencing an unexpected behaviour on the INIT A page, which is exactly the same as described in a very old topic named "Alternate Flight Plan Issues" from Dec 12, 2015. That topic does not tell about a solution. Is this still an open issue? Is there a solution, which is applicable to the new product, which I am using? I haven't found yet any newer topics in the forum. Can somebody tell me, where I can find more information, if there is any?

Attached screenshots show:

• INIT A page with correctly entered FROM/TO and corresponding company route and alternate destination with corresponding company route
    • Please login to display this image.

• The flight plan shows (SID/STAR/APPROACH not yet entered):
    • immediately after the departure airport the waypoints of the alternate route

• after a F-PLN DISCONTINUITY the waypoints of the primary flight plan

• the flightplan ends as expected at the primary destination (afte F-PLAN DISCONTINUITY)

• then it says: there is no ALTN F-PLN

• but after that come the waypoints of the alternate flight plan

• And at the end it says: END OF ALTN F-PLN (which according to a former statement does not exist)

I wonder if adding a second Departure Airport caused the issues you're experiencing?  There can only be one departure airport, the secondary flight plan is for an alternate arrival airport.

Yes, the CoRte for the alternate flight plan contains Departure and Arrival airports:

[CoRte]
ArptDep=EDDH
ArptArr=EKCH
Airway1=P605
Airway1FROM=LUB
Airway1TO=TOSPA
Airway2=P605
Airway2FROM=TOSPA
Airway2TO=AMICH
Airway3=P605
Airway3FROM=AMICH
Airway3TO=PIBUL
Airway4=P605
Airway4FROM=PIBUL
Airway4TO=MEGAR
Airway5=P605
Airway5FROM=MEGAR
Airway5TO=GESKA
Airway6=Z711
Airway6FROM=GESKA
Airway6TO=MONAK

But simply removing the ArptDep line leads to the problem that the company route for the alternate is not recognized anymore.

The alternate flight plan is used to go to a different Destination.  Things will get really messed up if you try to add a second departure airport.  See, the aircraft knows that it doesn't have instant transport capability.

So, you simply can not program in a second departure airport into the flight plan.

If you want to change the aircraft position in the sim, then it's best to reload the aircraft.

Best wishes!

Dave, what you are saying sounds plausible. But how does a company route for the alternate destination have to look like in order to become recognized as a valid company route? As I said, I removed the departure airport line from the Co Rte file. The result was that it was not accepted on the INIT A page. 

I've taken  KPHL as the primary destination and KPVD as the alternate airport in your example. Little progress, but not yet completely there. Picture 1 to 4 look the same, i.e. alternate waypoints in primary flight plan, the discontinuity, then the primary flight plan waypoints until the primary destination. What changed is that I now have an alternate flight plan, which looks exactly like expected, starting from the primary destination and going towards the alternate destination.

What I'm seeing is that if you enter the Alt FP, it expects that's where you are now going to fly to and it moves it to the top of the active flight plan.  With that being the case, I wouldn't enter the Alt FP unless that's where you want to fly to.

We'll take a deeper look at this one for you my friend.

Best wishes!

That is what I thought as well. It seems that entering the alternate flight plan also enables it from where I stand. In earlier flights I succeeded in rerouting to an alternative destination by not specifying a company route, but only entering the ALTN airport, then enabling ALTN from a specific waypoint and then completing the resulting new flight plan (in the temporary flight plan). That was OK. But loading a company flight plan would simplify defining the new route.

Waiting for what you'll find out.

Good luck!

Here is an update on the Alternate Flightplan issue.

We climbed into an operation Airbus to make sure we got all this right.

Right now there are several (two primary) bugs with the Alternate Flight Plan, the biggest of which was found by AMJBecker and is shown clearly in the posts above.  It's too late to get the fixes done and in for an update planned for later this week, but we know what the problems are and it will be resolved.

For now I don't recommend using the Alternate Flightplan (ALTN FP), but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to, then only input the ALTN FP when you're ready to divert.  This way it won't muck up your existing FP.

Thanks very, VERY much for bringing this to our attention!

Archived