Mega Airport Heathrow Professional and OrbX True Earth GB South

• Aerosoft

While as almost all OrbX products True Earth GB South is seriously amazing there is no such thing as a free lunch. Using it will need resources and when you fly in one of the densest areas of the UK with  True Earth GB South and Mega Airport Heathrow Pro you have to expect things get hairy. 

In our test comparing default UK+ Heathrow to True Earth + Heathrow, we lost around 10 frames. Fully expectable and understandable and unfixable unless either OrbX or Aerosoft removes a lot of detail.  Something not likely to happen to be honest. We do not feel this is a major issue as True Earth is really a VFR project (airline captains do not see a lot of individual trees) and Mega Airport Heathrow professional is clearly aimed at the IFR side of things. But we rather are clear about it. It's not a brilliant combination. 

The images shown are from a pretty high-end system at pretty high settings. They extrapolate the problems, at lower settings and with a very high-end graphics card the issue will most likely be less problematic. Just be prepared. We love what OrbX did and we are 100% sure it is well optimized, but sometimes a combination of add-ons makes life hard. If you like your small aircraft and the UK this is a product we seriously recommend! If you have a moderate machine and fly complex airliners we still recommend it but we recommend lowering settings considerably.

The two images here show the same situation with and without TE. 

Please login to display this image.

Without, 17 fps.

With 7 fps.

Without 27 fps

with 14 fps.

Again, I really like to stress this. we love that product, we just want to avoid people being surprised.  Now if you excuse me, I got a  Cessna to fly over the Isle of Wight.

• Developer

Hi Mathijs,

the area of London, special in case of your first two screens with the city in the background is anyway a high load area, generating low frames with dense Autogen, as there are a lot of polyline autogen buildings used in London.

To make a complete compare, it would be nice if you check this scenarios also in combination Orbx+Default London Heathrow and only default. I would expect that this will be not so far away from the results with Orbx+London Heathrow Professional, as my test with default in relation to the addon airport was not so different, when the City was in the background (your first screens) and Autogen Buildings on a high setting (like in your test). So, even without addons, the default is critical in frames with high settings here, it's the area, more then the addons itself.

I am all but a XP fanboy, but the remarkable fact ist that the combo AS EGLL + ORBX TE GB South / XP11 performs very well.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi,

I've noticed after installing GB TE there is a block of flats on the British Airways head office & an office block on the industrial unit near runway 09L, hiding the aerosoft EGLL buildings.

Do you know if there is a way of removing these so the aerosoft buildings showing again?

Thanks Dan

• 1 month later...

This is re. the Aerosoft XP11 Heathrow - sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but just replying to Mathijs' comments...

Thanks for the 'warning' Mathijs: I finally got round to upgrading my XP10 Heathrow to XP11 and also (just yesterday) added all the ORBX UK scenery packs. Visually it looks wonderful, but as you say, performance is less than ideal, to say the least. In a ToLiss a319 (great aircraft but not the most fps-friendly, especially from the cockpit), ready on Rwy 09L (i.e. with most of the airport in view) I made 10-12fps. Once I got away from the airport, fps returned to 'normal' (I have it set at 30 fps limit via nVidia Inspector - much smoother sim this way).

You were very 'up front' about this in your post, so just wanted to ask (folks in general) which would be the most effective 'tweak' in this case, to get maximum fps increase with minimum 'eye candy' loss. If anyone has any tips.... My graphic settings at the moment are as per the attached image. I get an improvement if I reduce the AA of course, but that comes at a price (considerably less sharp lines), so anything else?

Thanks in advance

Archived