Why are so many routings so off track?

Hello there,

First i want to say, i really appreciate PFPX, since it's quite complete, it gives great charts with winds, turbulence, NAT and other routes, .....

Although i must say i was really hoping for an update into 2019 concerning aircraft performances, it's still one of the best routing programs.

But is there an explanation why some routes are so weird?

All the info is there, AIRACs, RADs, ... but still you get these strange situations.

This makes it impossible just to use 1 program, i still use Vroute, Simbrief, and sometimes even Euroflightplan, just to get a route that would work, costs me (and i'm not kidding) hours, which i kind of expect when i pay for a routeplanner.

Take this example from a few hours ago:

planning a flight from EDDF to LIRF.

The 40% overhead is the PFPX route, the 20% an other planning tool.

The PFPX route doesn't seem near anything any company would like to fly?

I tried to select AUTO+, and asked for the shortest route, which was also this one, and the other one is about 200nm shorter.

Am i doing something wrong here, or what's the issue with not generating a decent route?

Do i expect too much?

Again, still a big fan, if only for the taking into account of the winds when you fly across the ocean, but this really is driving me nuts :s 

Tia for an answer on this one,

grtz,

BEL27MD

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Hi

I think I found the issue, it's rule ED2409 in Route Restrictions. The official RAD PAN Europe document says:

KUMIK Y854 BOMBI

Only available for traffic
1. DEP EDDK
Via GIGET/HAREM/OMOGI
Above FL245

The rule was added so. But PFPX v2 seems to misinterprete this rule. 

When you set the Requested Flight Level (RFL) flag for those three entries, it can route via KUMIK and generates the follwoing route instantly:

KUMIK Y854 BOMBI UN850 ABUKA UL607 UTABA M738 NATAG DCT ADOSA DCT GAVRA Y345 RITEB

I'll add this work around for next RAD and Directs 1903

Regards

David

Hey David,

that's cool, that route is even better than the one the other planner gave :)

my main point is/was that, although anyone who ever checked routes and rads and stuff knows how horribly complicated things can get, i was hoping to forget all other planners and just enjoy PFPX for all my planning.

i hope we'll get there eventually, 

thx for your (quick) help, the workaround, and clear explanation, much appreciated!

grtz,
Serge

Archived