Reverse Thrust Key/Button

Joan Alonso

Hi,

Is there any way to make the reverse range less sensitive when applied trough a button or key? I mean, the steps in the manual range are fine, but when entering the reverse range the steps are much higher, it's difficult to apply idle reverse wihtout going to full reverse first.

I know it's something related to the way of the thrust is coded, but can be something done?

Thanks in advance

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Joan,

How are you normlly applying reverse through button? Hold until you see REV lights come on the upper ECAM or just single quick press of the reverse button after landing?

I haven’t had any issues to engage idle reverse (which is what I use on 90% of the time) through button control.

Decrease. I tried with FSUIPC Throttle Dec Small with the same result. It feels that from Idle to full reverse it goes really easy to full with barely touching the button, I can sometimes put it on idle reverse as you say, but it does not feel like in manual range, where I can smoothly increase or decrease by small increments.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just made some tests myself. I have my controls assigned through P3D and have my button set to Throttle (decrease quickly). Single button press from idle puts the thrust to idle reverse and from there it takes 7 more button presses before it goes to full reverse.

I have a feeling it might be something with your controls. Are you sure you don't have P3D and FSUIPC giving dual input for the same parameter? Does anyone else have this kind of behaviour with the reverse thrust control?

1 hour ago, Secondator said:

I just made some tests myself. I have my controls assigned through P3D and have my button set to Throttle (decrease quickly). Single button press from idle puts the thrust to idle reverse and from there it takes 7 more button presses before it goes to full reverse.

I have a feeling it might be something with your controls. Are you sure you don't have P3D and FSUIPC giving dual input for the same parameter? Does anyone else have this kind of behaviour with the reverse thrust control?

Ok! Thank you. I'll try then to assign buttons again and see if I got it right. I'm glad to hear that there are up to seven steps to full reverse. So, it has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Ok. I tried assigning buttons again and it works someway better with FSUIPC Throttle Incr and Decr than with P3D controls. But the overall feeling is worst than the other way around, the reverse range seems to be longer but the response on the manual range between IDLE and CLIMB is better with P3D controls.

I was just curious if something could be done in the FADEC or ATHR code to make the reverse range longer or not to be so sensitive when button is applied as it does in manual range. Anyway, I will leave it as I had it before, barely pushing the button to get IDLE reverse.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Is it possible, when using button control for reverse thrust control, that the joystick Aerosoft software is trying to pull the throttles back to idle at the same time thus giving an uneven response?

Dave j

• Deputy Sheriffs

Should not be possible unless your hardware throttle is creating some noise on the sensor which is detected as you moving the throttle and overriding reverse thrust button.

More information,

I am using fsuicp for all assignments as per the instructions from Aerosoft.

Have no settings P3d throttle setup in fact joystick system is turned off.

I have calibrated using windows calibration.

I am using a Logitech G940 throttle

When I set idle on throttle the Bus throttle moves very slightly forward when taking hand off throttle.

If I push F1 the throttles set at the right place and do not move again until operated, so I have allocated a button on the throttle to activate F1 through FSUICP.

For reverse thrust I am using another button to activate F2 which has activate while held set.

This all works except when using reverse thrust the  Buss throttle jumps back and forward between reverse an idle.

Any ideas?

Dave J

• Deputy Sheriffs
8 minutes ago, kiwi55 said:

When I set idle on throttle the Bus throttle moves very slightly forward when taking hand off throttle.

I think this is your issue. When you are on idle thrust, your throttle is sending a signal of slight throttle movement forward which cancels out the reverse.

Please try to engage some deadzone on your throttle near the idle setting so that software ignores the small noise on idle position.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Logitech G940. However, what you could try to do is to recalibrate your joystick but instead of retracting it fully down to idle position, leave a small amount of throttle input in. This way the software will think that your idle position is where you leave the throttle at and will ignore all inputs and noise that are beyond that point towards idle. This comes with a downside though as you will lose fine control of your throttle near the idle position depending how much space you leave between the calibrated idle and actual idle.

1 hour ago, kiwi55 said:

I understand however I don't see how I can introduce dead zone

There is a great post over at SimHQ about setting up the G940, and it includes reverse thrust. I found it via a Google search for "Logitech G940 Reverse Thrust".

Link: http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_155e.html

Best wishes!

OK recalibrating as you suggested has corrected the idle position however I still have the problem with reverse thrust. Something is causing the handles to intermittently go forward while holding reverse thrust. This action is the same if I use F2 on the keyboard or the assigned button on the joystick.

The link does not seem to help.

Dave J

30 minutes ago, kiwi55 said:

OK recalibrating as you suggested has corrected the idle position however I still have the problem with reverse thrust. Something is causing the handles to intermittently go forward while holding reverse thrust. This action is the same if I use F2 on the keyboard or the assigned button on the joystick.

The link does not seem to help.

Dave J

Okay, I would reach out to Logitech on this on their support website.

Best wishes!

No I don't think it is Logitech as if I remove the joystick assignments and use the reverse straight from F2 on the keyboard the reverse lever goes to about 50% reverse then moves around.

Hi,

May I suggest you something? Please try to follow these steps, considering that you are doing this on your own because AS does not support using Peter Dowson's tool:

1. Wipe out all button and axes assignments from P3D valid for your joystick.

2. Install FSUIPC5 paid version. (Please make sure that you are not using the hacked version, which is distributed on some places!).

3. Assign your axes and calibrate your joystick making sure that a zero setting is really zero, but not something else. Ask or Google, if you don't know how.

4. Assign a button for your reverse trust. You can check my settings in the attached pic.

Please login to display this image.

NOTE: Make sure the tick mark "Control to repeat..." and "Control sent..." options are assigned as shown. 

You have to put your thrust lever in idle and press the button. It will keep the reverse as long as the button is pressed and hold.

Hope the above helps.

Hi That exactly how I have set it up. It works but I don't get full reverse thrust ,only half. I am convinced that it is something in the A320 software.

I have a competitors A320 which works perfectly but I prefer the Aerosoft extra features. So I will just use it as it is. Something may change in the future.

Dave J

16 hours ago, kiwi55 said:

Hi That exactly how I have set it up. It works but I don't get full reverse thrust ,only half. I am convinced that it is something in the A320 software.

I have a competitors A320 which works perfectly but I prefer the Aerosoft extra features. So I will just use it as it is. Something may change in the future.

Dave J

Are you sure you have the Control Repeat selected?   The behavior you're describing is precisely what happens when this is not selected.

Archived