Out of Memory after deleting a route restriction

I'm trying to plan a flight from LFBO to EGNT in a B738. I have to go to the Advanced option in Find Route to get a reasonably straight routing.

The Results show and there are multiple route restrictions. I make a note of the first one, load the Route Restriction and filter for it. It's identified and I delete it and return to the main Planner.

From there I select Replan but immediately an out of memory message is displayed. Same thing has happened 3 times on different routes. Either I'm doing something wrong or there's a problem with the program.

Down in the status bar at bottom left it shows: Calculating flight BAW123 (LFBO-EGNT) <Esc> to abort. Pressing Esc does nothing and I have to terminate the program in Task Manager.

Do I just post here or raise a ticket for a formal response? I can give more details tomorrow of the route and restriction deleted.

Ok, which aircraft type, was this added as a stock entry or third party performance file.

The route that is causing issue and the restriction you are disabling.

Aircraft Type is B737-800 Winglet. Reg N738PM which is the same as the stock PMDG737-800 winglet and is a stock entry. I have modified the fuel burn figures using the inbuilt facility. Shouldn't be a factor.

Nav NG1901

LFBO-EGNT. 31/1/19 10:20.

Route: FIST5A FISTO UY156 PERIG A34 LMG UL152 BALAN UN859 SITET UL151 MID UL612 WOD UM605 DTY UY250 GASKO UP18 NATEB

I complete the process all the way to Validate.  Messages reveals multiple route restrictions.

EG2102.1 deleted. Return to main interface. Press Replan. Choose Find...Advanced. Returned to General tab. Press Compute Flight. OOM appears. Program locked.

I have tried on two systems here, one of those a clean install and using the supplied 738 PMDG template and associated profile, no OOM or lockups occur.

Could you post your aircraft file for the registration located C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data\Aircraft and I'll give that a try.

How did the you obtain the route in the first instance ?: FIST5A FISTO UY156 PERIG A34 LMG UL152 BALAN UN859 SITET UL151 MID UL612 WOD UM605 DTY UY250 GASKO UP18 NATEB

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. Seems odd it can't be replicated. Aircraft file attached.

I just used the 'wizard' feature that prompts you for the next action. But I found that route backtracked over Northern England so I chose Find - Advanced and using Min Fuel used that method. The routing was much improved.

N738PM.txt

That is quite a fuel adjustment there Ray and most likely stems from using the B738 NGX template rather than the Winglet variant.

Putting the OOM aside for a moment, which I still cannot reproduce with your file, lets correct the aircraft entry.

My suggestion is to use the performance file from AirlinerPerformance , download the 737-800W  file ( follow the download link, do not right-click and save as ) and place in C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data\AircraftTypes

Use the Add New Aircraft function and not from template, select the Boeing 737-800W option, add a new registration. My configuration is shown, fuel burn over a significant number of lights is very accurate without adjustment:

Please login to display this image.

Hi Stephen,

All done. I've just planned the same route using the new aircraft with a reg of G-VABA to match the BA livery for the 737-800 winglet variant.

One question. Can you just confirm empty weight in lbs. I have made a small change to the aircraft.cfg as sources suggest it is 91300lbs. That appears very close to your 41400Kg.

The newly planned route still needed the Advanced Find option but returned fewer restrictions. If you take the lead on deleting a restriction I'll follow your instructions. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.

The Airliner Performance files are not based on a specific sim addon but are a typical realworld configuration.

I obtained the PMDG weights via the CDU, for ZFW setting no fuel or payload results in 41400kg or 91271lbs

PAX, Cargo and Fuel capacities are then obtained from the CDU.

Firstly I looked for why we were routing up to TLA and found a restriction which may work better with adjustment but disabled it for now:

Then the first pass just by clicking on the Find Route button:

Validation returns:

Returning to the Advanced Route Finder I entered MOGLI as a VIA, from the last error above:

Compute the flight once more and validate again:

This can be overcome in this case by switching to the lower airway P18 by making the edit in Route box and re-building ( build route)

again compute the flight and validate, PASS :)

1 hour ago, srcooke said:

The Airliner Performance files are not based on a specific sim addon but are a typical realworld configuration.

I obtained the PMDG weights via the CDU, for ZFW setting no fuel or payload results in 41400kg or 91271lbs

PAX, Cargo and Fuel capacities are then obtained from the CDU.

Having changed pax and fuel to 0 my ZFW is 91.3 which is close enough.

I've folllowed your example in a new plan and managed to get a clean routing up to FL360. I'm not going to become an expert overnight but your help has given me a new perspective on how powerful PFPX is providing you know what you're doing. 😉

It's a pity examples like this can't be incorporated into the manual but I suppose the data changes so frequently it would soon be out of date. Thanks Stephen, you've been a great help.

Stephen,

I wonder if you could help with EGNT-EGKK. I had to use the Advanced Route option which took in POL and HON. The trouble is the FL was never above 230. I went into the Route Restrictions and searched for P18 to disable the entries assuming it had a mandatory lower FL.

But there were loads of entries and I lost the will to live after disabling 3 or 4 without success. I also tried entering a min FL of 310 but all that achieved was having to descend to 230 during the flight. Frustrating isn’t the word.

There is a flight level restriction between EGNT and the London Group of airports, no higher than FL285

EG4139 EGNT to LONDON_GROUP Not above FL285 H24 To achieve realistic planning levels

NATS produce a Standard Route Document that is in Excel format, this lists available routes and there associated flight levels for UK airspace.

It is possible to import this document into PFPX should you have Excel, let me know for further info.

PFPX is assigning lower flight levels on 'short trip' lengths than I would expect, issue is with the developer.

With the correct route (higher level) enter FL280 in the Aircraft 'Cruise Altitude/FL' box.

From the SRD: GIRLI P18 GASKO P16 RIBEL UP16 CROFT DCT KEPAD UL151 KIDLI WILLO3B

Thanks Stephen. Yes, I have Excel 2010 so would like to get some realistic FLs into routes like this.

I don’t recall having all these issues with previous versions of PFPX. Does the developer intend to make things better? I shouldn’t have to do so much work to get a realistic flight plan. I very much doubt r/w pilots have all this faffing about.

Commercial airline pilots are not likely to plan their routes, it is the role of the despatcher that you have now assumed, and yes they do have to deal with such issues. Equally they are using software that costs significantly more £££££'s

The issues are been looked at, there was a huge change to vertical optimization which has improved in many areas.

Serge was very kind to publish his Excel templates that will import NAT and FAA routes, they are posted HERE.

For NATS, at least initially I would recommend importing the airport pairs and not the sub-routes. Including the latter will result in some 33500 routes, something you may consider later. The import is a two part process, checking the routes initially allowing for deletion of errors, then importing to PFPX.

The routes are then available from the planner 'route' drop down and indicate the available FL range.

Thanks Stephen. Yes, I appreciate I’m a dispatcher for this phase of ops. I’d still like to spend less time getting a route though as it affects my departure time.

I’ll have a go at importing those tomorrow. Maybe when I open the file your instructions will make things easy. Is this something that is permanently installed into my version of PFPX that is unaffected by AIRAC updates?

The UK SRD is updated per AIRAC cycle.

Once you have a route, hopefully validated :) , then save it to your database using the remarks column to reference any required changes in FL.

Whilst it may not be valid next time it should help in reducing planning time.

Actually, I've come up with a better solution... maybe.

GIRL1T GIRLI UP18 POL DCT MCT DCT LISTO UL612 HON N859 KIDLI ASTR2B

I swapped P18 for UP18 and L612 for UL612. FL is 350. I'll fly it tomorrow and see how I get on.

Archived