Starting to get fed up with PFPX and loving the Concorde

8 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

https://boomsupersonic.com/ and a few others believe there is a future for supersonic flight and I think they are right. The sound problems can largely be handled now, propulsion is still complex but we got 4 decades more experience and there are MORE than enough rich folks around as customers. Far more than in the 1980s...

the problem i see is that the technology used in the concorde was from the 60s and very often created for this need and secondly the politicians were involved and te two countries were part of the creation of Airbus. soon europe will never be the same will it for the manpower or the technology. i do not know if today we have the knowledge of the teams that created concorde and i doubt those guys and gals are young anymore ...

the americans struggled with their lovely projects and killed concorce by ponya and delays to get the approvals ... seems they tried that with the c series  and this time custom fees as we all know boeing is not receiving a dime of federal us budget ....

• Aerosoft

Well, at least three firms say they will start test flying in 2019.  

Supersonic is not the big unknown it used to be. It is far better understood, engines have far fewer problems with slowing down the air coming in. The aerodynamics are taught in schools now. Materials are better, lighter and stronger. And as I said the big boost is that we have a world full of people who can afford 15.000 dollars for a ticket. The costs will be the same as the major airlines ask for the highest class tickets now. 

Mathijs, I have no doubt engineers can design engines and restrict the airflow at supersonic speeds so they continue to function but the one question that remains the elephant in the room is how do you suppress the sonic boom that extends 30+ nautical miles ahead and 20nm abeam?

That article didn’t explain how they’re going to rewrite the laws of physics.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, at least three firms say they will start test flying in 2019.  

Supersonic is not the big unknown it used to be. It is far better understood, engines have far fewer problems with slowing down the air coming in. The aerodynamics are taught in schools now. Materials are better, lighter and stronger. And as I said the big boost is that we have a world full of people who can afford 15.000 dollars for a ticket. The costs will be the same as the major airlines ask for the highest class tickets now. 

good points but Mathijs that was not the technology that killed the Concorde but politics.

is there a global agreement to operate them this time?

Archived