PFPX bombed out because Wx subscription had ended.

I’ve had PFPX for several years and opted for the subscription Wx service. But on opening the program this morning I failed to notice my subscription had ended before I started to plan a new flight

I got as far as entering the departure ICAO when the program just closed. Tried again, same result. On the third attempt I noticed a red Wx text in the status bar. Ah, time to renew.

I purchased another 12 months subscription and entered it in the relevant field and then all was okay.

But I wasn’t impressed with it bombing me out without so much as an advisory message that my Wx subscription had expired. Something for the author to consider perhaps.

Talking of which, how about bringing the TOPCAT forum back to life? We can’t post here as Aerosoft doesn’t sell it. Over to you. Christian and Judith.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I can say that this is not a usual behaviour of the program after expiring of the server subscription - we have no similar reports and can´t reproduce your experiences.

Sorry if you felt as you would be "bombed" out.

if you have any Problems with TOPCAT please use the support ticket System.

Best regards Judith

6 minutes ago, FlightSimSoft.com said:

Hello,

I can say that this is not a usual behaviour of the program after expiring of the server subscription - we have no similar reports and can´t reproduce your experiences.

Sorry if you felt as you would be "bombed" out.

if you have any Problems with TOPCAT please use the support ticket System.

Best regards Judith 

Hello Judith,

I renewed my subscription so the problem has gone away. Won't be able to check it until next January now.

I have no current issues with Topcat other that will you be adding new aircraft to it?

• 11 months later...

I opened PFPX this morning knowing my annual weather subscription needed renewing. I clicked on the globe icon top left and selected the Weather option. PFPX then crashed. I tried a further two times but the same happened.

This happened to me last January and I'm perplexed why it only seems to happen to me. I would appreciate some guidance on how to resolve this so I can subscribe to the weather service.

An update. Opening PFPX and waiting for it to initialise is enough for it to crash without me interacting with it. The wx status in the system bar starts as yellow and then changes to red. At that point PFPX crashes.

Thanks Stephen. New subscription activated. But I'm not happy that I have to go through this rigmarole to purchase a new subscription. The author should sort out this bug especially when people are trying to buy something from him.

This is interesting from the guidance on the subscription....

What if my subscription expires?
If you elect NOT to extend the server subscription, PFPX will still be fully functional, but without real-time data such as Winds, METAR, TAF, Tracks and NOTAMs. Other sources, like ActiveSky and RealEnvironment Extreme and your saved weather data and tracks will still be functional! You can elect to extend your subscription at any time, even if it already has expired!

I'm sorry but it does NOT remain fully functional. PFPX crashes if a wx subscription has expired when PFPX is launched. To have to perform the workaround is not acceptable. A customer may need to only do it once per year but everyone who has this subscription has to do it. The author should fix this as it appears to break the terms and conditions of the licence.

I raised a support ticket last Thursday and it remains unanswered. That together with no posts from the PFPX author here leads me to believe this application is now only supported by Stephen. Why Christian and Judith stay away is known only to them. 🤔

Archived