P3D - content module update.

Tomi

I did not find a particular topic here on what are your recommendations when P3D gets updated to newer version. I’m planning to update client and “content” this time. Client is no problem, but content might be, however I do not know that. 

The question is, is there any particular guide as to your sceneries? What to do once content is updated? Or perhaps I should consider uninstalling and installing back after?

Tom

I did ask there and was told that when updating “content” I should check with 3rd party developers for their advice.  So, I’m checking. I checked with some others and got response. Aerosoft - nothing yet. 

Is your response official Aerosoft support feedback?

Tom

I just made the content update and it doesnt affect most addons. It will only overwrite DEFAULT P3D files in the following folders Scripts, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture...

so unless an Addon alters those files it shouldnt be affected (  and most addons  dont alter the default files)

In my case I only had to reinstall REX cloud textures, 

You will loose the beechcraft aircrafts however unless you back them up before

but there some threads over at the other forums for that, for example this one:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545989-v44-fresh-install-or-client-content-only/?tab=comments#comment-3933591

P.S. I have quite some Aerosoft sceneries and none was affected 

• Aerosoft

For me it is simple. I ALWAYS do a completely fresh install. We have seen so many problems with any other way. Certainly, with add-ons that use the latest technologies, it is downright dangerous to update any other way. And if you insist on a partial update, please, please please, reboot first.

Mathijs, your approach makes sense but this time I wanted to try shortcut. But let’s see. I kind of don’t want to spend a week reinstalling everything :)

• Deputy Sheriffs
10 hours ago, Tomi said:

I did ask there and was told that when updating “content” I should check with 3rd party developers for their advice.  So, I’m checking. I checked with some others and got response. Aerosoft - nothing yet. 

Is your response official Aerosoft support feedback?

Tom

It looks like I misunderstood what is a common question. "Content" when in the context of "content module update" in your title is usually understood to refer to one of the components of a P3D installation using the content installer (Install_Content.msi). The approach for the most stable installation is a "Full" update as Mathijs noted. The alternative is to just do a "Client" update, or a "Client and Content" update that also brings in any new aircraft. Regardless of whether you do a Full, Client and Content, or Client only, you have to first uninstall the relevant portions of your previous installation. Simply installing over an existing installation is quarantined to cause problems. If you haven't looked yet, do take a look at Poppet's excellent post (here) on how to do an update. While she advocates a Client only update, experience with user problems reported to Aerosoft that is a Full update is definitely the preferred method. It resolves the majority of the issues we see.

As I now understand your question, you weren't asking about the Content component of an update. Sorry for the confusion.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:21 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

For me it is simple. I ALWAYS do a completely fresh install. We have seen so many problems with any other way. Certainly, with add-ons that use the latest technologies, it is downright dangerous to update any other way. And if you insist on a partial update, please, please please, reboot first.

You know what... I updated and now I’m processing to full reinstall. Before no CTD - now CTD all the time, application issues, sound issues... never have this before.

Archived