Move PFPX user folder to a different location

I would like to move PFPX user folder, the one located in C:\Users\Public\Documents by default, to another location.

I remember pre v2 there was an option somewhere in the settings to do so, but now in 2.03 I'm having trouble locating this option.

Is there a way I can move PFPX database to a different location in 2.03?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Like in the previous version, there is no possibility to move the PFPX data folder to another location. It is fixed here:

• C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data\

What you can do within PFPX is to configure your own documents folder. But that is only used to locate some add-ons to export flight plans into.

An option may be to move the entire Public Documents folder if that suits your needs.

The Public Documents folder can moved by WIN to a different location in the same way as the user documents.

Right click the folder and select properties and change the location.

Hi,

If you search the registry for PFPX you will find a registry value containing the data path. You can change this and copy your PFPX data directory to that new location. I have done this and moved my directory to my NAS, so that the data could be saved with my regular backup of my NAS. But as written this is not a supported option, as normally you are not able to change this from UI. So you can do this on your own risk. I never had a problem.Maybe this could get an officially supported option in one of the next releases. Would be nice.

Rgds

Reinhard

9 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

Like in the previous version, there is no possibility to move the PFPX data folder to another location. It is fixed here:

• C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data\

What you can do within PFPX is to configure your own documents folder. But that is only used to locate some add-ons to export flight plans into.

You are right. I could have sworn there was such option, but oh well, maybe I confused it with something else.

Anyway, I now remember how I managed to move PFPX data folder to a different location. I moved the Data folder to a different location, and then launched PFPX. It greeted me with following message:

Please login to display this image.

I pressed OK and selected the location where I moved the Data folder from the prompt PFPX presented me. And that's it. On pre v2 I was able to use this walkaround, but on v2.03 it didn't let me do this...

I think an option to allow users to define Data folder location would be very neat.

Hopefully PFPX dev reads this and maybe adds this to the future feature list (together with bringing back tropopause...).

8 hours ago, srcooke said:

An option may be to move the entire Public Documents folder if that suits your needs.

The Public Documents folder can moved by WIN to a different location in the same way as the user documents.

Right click the folder and select properties and change the location.

Unfortunately this is an unacceptable option...

4 hours ago, aua668 said:

Hi,

If you search the registry for PFPX you will find a registry value containing the data path. You can change this and copy your PFPX data directory to that new location. I have done this and moved my directory to my NAS, so that the data could be saved with my regular backup of my NAS. But as written this is not a supported option, as normally you are not able to change this from UI. So you can do this on your own risk. I never had a problem.Maybe this could get an officially supported option in one of the next releases. Would be nice.

Rgds

Reinhard

Thanks, I will check registry. I also like to keep PFPX data folder in more accessible place. I use PFPX from two computers, so setting up planes/routes/etc. two times separately would be a pain in the bun. Therefore I had Data folder moved to my Onedrive, and since both PCs hace access to it, they also get access to the planes/routes/etc on either of the machines I decide to use to run PFPX.

At the first glance, however, I wouldn't find such entry. Any chance you may know the exact path to it? In the mean time I will continue looking.

3 hours ago, aua668 said:

Hi,

Try: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FlightSimSoft.com\PFPX]

and there the "DataFolder" entry.

Rgds

Reinhard

Thanks, after adding the string manually it did the trick!

Archived