updater 1220

9 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We do need some more information, is there an error?

No error just the application opens with no data in it and closes down after 15 seconds.

See attachment below..

Please login to display this image.

Thanks, David 

22 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Do you have Microsoft One Drive installed?  If so, the ASUpdater and a lot of other thinks might have been installed in the Documents folder of your One Drive account.

Checked the One Drive but no such folder there.

Thanks, David

David,

Sorry you're suffering this problem.  Nobody else has reported it... so I'm wondering if it might be your computer security gobbling up some of the files. Can you check your Quarantine to see if they're there?

I've just found the solution to my problem: In the products folder, I had the DC-8 XML file. I opened it and found out that it was empty. So I removed it from the products folder and see, the updater worked again. I was also able to update the bus directly without any issues.

So my next question: Why is the DC8 XML file empty?

Chris

Just reinstalled the crj, downloaded the full install. Strangely enough, the crj XML-file in the updater's product file is also empty, and so the updater produced the blank page again...

What can I do? Thanks for your support.

• Developer

It really looks like an encoding issue with Installshield (which creates the product xml files). I'll talk to the installer guy at Aerosoft, but due to weekend I can't do that before Monday.

1 hour ago, Hans Hartmann said:

It's being worked on.

@david_wi Which Windows version and language settings do you use? We need as detailed information as possible to track this down.

I am using Windows 10 64bit in English.BTW, the updater used to work when is updated the buses or some airport...

• Developer
vor 28 Minuten, david_wi sagte:

BTW, the updater used to work when is updated the buses or some airport... 

Yes, I know. The updater itself works just fine. It's the product XML files that are not created correctly in some rare cases. We're currently trying to figure out why.

4 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Yes, I know. The updater itself works just fine. It's the product XML files that are not created correctly in some rare cases. We're currently trying to figure out why.

Hi Hans

Just installed the CRJ version 1.2.3.0 and after installing I run the asupdater and it only updated itself and then closed with no data on it.

Thanks, David

• Developer

@Cholezystolithiasis

@david_wi

Andreas and I did some research on this and came to the following conclusions:

- Some of the product XML files indeed have a byte order mark (BOM) at the beginning. This would be three bytes: 0xEF, 0xBB, 0xBF (hexadecimal)

- Normally, those three bytes are simply ignored when opening the XML file. On my system, they are just not there and the XML start with a proper "<?xml" no matter, if the file has a BOM or not.

- We (may!) have found out why the BOM was added to certainln product XML files (wrong Encoding setting in Notepad++). However, unless you check the files with a hex editor, you would never notice the difference.

So what will be done:

1) The existing files have been changed. When the next installers are built, the files will be checked for BOMs before release.

2) I programmed a little workaround that removes the BOM after reading a product XML file, if the system doesn't do so by itself. However, we don't have any PC available where the problem can be reproduced. So we would appreciate if you could give us some feedback on whether version 1.2.4.0 of the updater fixes the issue for you or not.

The Updater will automatically update to 1.2.4.0 when you run it next time.

8 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

@Cholezystolithiasis

@david_wi

Andreas and I did some research on this and came to the following conclusions:

- Some of the product XML files indeed have a byte order mark (BOM) at the beginning. This would be three bytes: 0xEF, 0xBB, 0xBF (hexadecimal)

- Normally, those three bytes are simply ignored when opening the XML file. On my system, they are just not there and the XML start with a proper "<?xml" no matter, if the file has a BOM or not.

- We (may!) have found out why the BOM was added to certainln product XML files (wrong Encoding setting in Notepad++). However, unless you check the files with a hex editor, you would never notice the difference.

So what will be done:

1) The existing files have been changed. When the next installers are built, the files will be checked for BOMs before release.

2) I programmed a little workaround that removes the BOM after reading a product XML file, if the system doesn't do so by itself. However, we don't have any PC available where the problem can be reproduced. So we would appreciate if you could give us some feedback on whether version 1.2.4.0 of the updater fixes the issue for you or not.

The Updater will automatically update to 1.2.4.0 when you run it next time.

Hi Guys

Just run the updater but it only updated itself and again went in to a blank page.

Bye, David 

Archived