KDAB ILS RWY 07L frequency not working for approach

Sloppysmusic

I had spent days reading FCOMs for the PMDG 737 trying to fix this thinking I was doing something wrong as  every approach locked in as an IAN approach with no LOC or GS and no landing either as pressing APP took me in to the ocean.

I eventually realized the ILS beacon was working AFTER touch down so did a circuit and watched the LOC in the the VOR screen follow me to downwind then about 5 miles abeam it disappears never to come back until after I landed.

The beacon itself works as its same transmitter for RWY 25R, where it works perfectly.

Basically with this KDAB addon the ILS is not transmitting until far too late to use it for approach (rwy threshold) BUT if I deselect the Aerosoft KDAB from scenery.cfg and use the default one instead it works perfectly.

Love this to be fixed as it's my home airport and I need to practice my approaches here!

Lovely airport in every way except this. I had an issue couple years ago with the crash box entering rwy7 I'm wondering out loud if the fix for that messed with the ILS somehow?

If someone could load up the sim (I'm using FSX) and confirm they can or cannot get ILS 07L to work that would be a load of my mind that it's not just my install.

Haven't tried with any other aircraft but have tons of EXP with the NGX and it's definitely the beacon not the aircraft or my technique as every other airport I've used has been flawless. The ID shows up as IDBF on the PFD but without the freq or radial being available. Works fine 25R

Using latest Navigraph 1901.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Russ

I use LittleNavMap and have all my add-ons loaded in its database. It's configured TO ONLY how add-ons no default airports. The dev told me I'd lose my ILS originally but then said I would not as add-ons came with their own ILS. I'm mentioning this as WITH KDAB LNM is showing the ILS feather for the airport which exists of course but I don't know if it reads the distance or just reads it and shows what it SHOULD be. 

Interesting to diagnose what's going on here! 

Actually, the key is in my first post to problem. The ILS IDENT shown on my PFD is IDBF whereas it should be IDAB for 7L. So the 737 is not picking up 7L at all, which is why it's trying to land me at the far end which is of course the threshold for 25R.

Like in real life some runways use the same frequency for ILS in both direction, although IRL the tower would only have one turned on I believe, the runway in use. I'm sure the sim does not emulate this so both are active at the same time?

Will try again today in a different plane just in case the 737 is tuning into the wrong one. Will be interesting to find another airport with the same frequencies for opposing approaches and see what happens. Although of course when I disable the AS KDAB it works fine in default....hmmmmm!

Using Navigraph cycle 1901, P3Dv4 scenery updated with Herve Sors utilities:

RWY07L indicates IDAB and inbound course is set 070:

Please login to display this image.

RWY25R indicates IDBF with DME and inbound course 250:

Not flight tested but the AIRAC and NGX look correct at this point with P3D scenery.

8 hours ago, Sloppysmusic said:

Actually, the key is in my first post to problem. The ILS IDENT shown on my PFD is IDBF whereas it should be IDAB for 7L. So the 737 is not picking up 7L at all, which is why it's trying to land me at the far end which is of course the threshold for 25R.

Like in real life some runways use the same frequency for ILS in both direction, although IRL the tower would only have one turned on I believe, the runway in use. I'm sure the sim does not emulate this so both are active at the same time?

Will try again today in a different plane just in case the 737 is tuning into the wrong one. Will be interesting to find another airport with the same frequencies for opposing approaches and see what happens. Although of course when I disable the AS KDAB it works fine in default....hmmmmm!

In the case of one ILS for two (opposing) runways, the chart should note which is the Back Course approach.  As such, you'd have to set up to fly a Back Course Approach. Some aircraft can do this for you, while others you have to manually input the back course approach data.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2019 at 10:06 AM, srcooke said:

Using Navigraph cycle 1901, P3Dv4 scenery updated with Herve Sors utilities:

RWY07L indicates IDAB and inbound course is set 070:

RWY25R indicates IDBF with DME and inbound course 250:

Not flight tested but the AIRAC and NGX look correct at this point with P3D scenery.

Sorry for dumb question but that is with AS KDAB activated yes? As that's what I get when it is NOT activated and default there.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

In the case of one ILS for two (opposing) runways, the chart should note which is the Back Course approach.  As such, you'd have to set up to fly a Back Course Approach. Some aircraft can do this for you, while others you have to manually input the back course approach data.

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks yes I understand this but it was not even finding the correct ILS (ie showing the opposite rwy ILS)

That was in PMDG 737 which of course can handle back courses.

Will try again GA.

Sorry for slow reply I didn't receive an email notification I just came here out of interest.

Looking for that email notification option now.

10 hours ago, Sloppysmusic said:

Sorry for dumb question but that is with AS KDAB activated yes? As that's what I get when it is NOT activated and default there.

No it is not with AS KDAB activated, I do not own that scenery. It was to discount Navigraph been the issue.

14 hours ago, srcooke said:

No it is not with AS KDAB activated, I do not own that scenery. It was to discount Navigraph been the issue.

Ah ok thanks I;m using 1902 rev 1 at moment probably was 1901 last time I had the error. Yes Im sure it's something to do with the add-on.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Have you checked that the afcad ils data of the addon is not outdated?

Sometimes the ident or freq change IRL. Then current navdata and an older addon do not match.

Archived