sounds cuts out in FSX

sagamol

anyone else have this problem?.... the sound is messed up ... it starts out loud then gets really quiet...it does this with default planes and default scenery...is there anyway for me to troubleshoot this?....no sound problems if i play cd's or listen to radio....

tom

Hi Sagamol,

Yes - I've seen plenty of other people who seem to be experiencing this...

It's usually a weird combination of:

Vista

+

Soundblaster

+

Driver version

I haven't seen a working fix posted anywhere yet... :(

Only sound problem I had was my PC suddenly and without warning resetting itself after a critical error in the sound driver of the built-in soundcard (RealTek).

That was XP.

If it was FSX related it would only be because FSX caused DirectX to call some functionality that's broken.

Putting in a modern SoundBlaster seemed to have cured that.

• Aerosoft
anyone else have this problem?.... the sound is messed up ... it starts out loud then gets really quiet...it does this with default planes and default scenery...is there anyway for me to troubleshoot this?....no sound problems if i play cd's or listen to radio....

tom

Let me guess... you are using an onboard sound card.

It's a topic that has been bothering me for some time. Do an experiment, start FSX, unlimited framerate. Go to a location that makes things hard for FSX. Let the framerates stabilize, press [q] to disable the whole sound chain. See how the framerates change. On a good system it should increase by about 5%, on a bad system it could increase about 15% to 20%.

I do not understand why people spend a fortune on a graphics card and even on speakers and think the on board sound chip will do. Get something like any card from the X-FI range (http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=209) and you get damned better sound, less bugs and better fps

Hey Mathijs,

This issue does not appear to be limited to on-board audio only...take a look at this recent topic, from our own forum:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13654

As you can see, his hardware specs should address any performance issue. Sagamol may be using onboard audio but this sound fading is across a broad spectrum of hardware configurations...I think it has more to do with how FSX maps sounds and the way Vista handles them, I haven't seen this problem reported yet from users of XP...