Hardware questions - possible PC Upgrade

Hi,

I really hope that you could give me a bit of an insight into the mystery of adequate hardware for the sim and maybe we can discuss a bit about this subject. Please note and acknowledge, that I'm an absolute fool when it comes to hardware and the first mentioned mystery of fine electronics😂...

First off, here my current system:

Intel i5-4670K Haswell in a Z87M-PLUS mainboard

12GB DDR3 RAM

Palit GeForce GTX1050Ti mini, 4GB

Toshiba HDD, 1TB

Now I'm looking into creating a new system and therefore I checked out a mainboard a friend gave to me some 1,5 years ago. It's a

H170-D3HP with an Intel i5-6600. 4 cores @ 3.3 GHz

and I want to get:

16GB DDR4 RAM

GeForce 1060, 6GB

or

GeForce 1070(Ti), 8GB

480GB-500GB SSD

1TB HDD

I find my system to be absolutely great at the moment, but can't stop thinking about the mainboard collecting dust ...

What might be more important: getting enough Graphics memory and a good (to great) graphics card, or a better CPU? Thought about an i5-6600K maybe...

Would the above mentioned desired system be of any use compared to the one I have in use at the moment?

However, I want to make sure to get the best possible value for the best possible price and who if not one (or more) of you might know what's to be thought of or which solution might be the best.

All the best to all of you and thank you in advance for all your answers.

Best wishes and happy landings,

Nicolas

Short answer: if your current i5-4670K runs at anything higher than 3.6GHz, you will not profit anything from switching to an i5-6600, as this 10% difference is about what you would gain if switching from one generation to the next. Maybe some single digit percentages due to the slightly faster DDR4 RAM, but certainly not more.

Means: I would definitively rather go for the second option, put the OS and the sim on a SSD, improve your GPU and additionally, overclock your 4670K to 4GHz or more (you might need a better cooler) and you should be perfectly fine. The obsolete H170 mainboard you can sell for some bucks...

vor 15 Stunden , Querer sagte:

Short answer: if your current i5-4670K runs at anything higher than 3.6GHz, you will not profit anything from switching to an i5-6600, as this 10% difference is about what you would gain if switching from one generation to the next. Maybe some single digit percentages due to the slightly faster DDR4 RAM, but certainly not more.

Means: I would definitively rather go for the second option, put the OS and the sim on a SSD, improve your GPU and additionally, overclock your 4670K to 4GHz or more (you might need a better cooler) and you should be perfectly fine. The obsolete H170 mainboard you can sell for some bucks...

Thank you very much for your answer. This was about that what I was thinking. My current system runs smoothly and I don't want to step down only because of the DDR4 and the slightly "newer" mainboard. I'll have to think that through another bit of time. I'll go for the recommended option and look into upgrading my graphics card and get one or two SSDs. Thanks again a lot!

vor 14 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

For what sim is that new system?

Currently I'm running P3D V4.3 and I want to upgrade to 4.4 soon. Since PBR was introduced I was a bit anxious that my system would buckle under that sort of stress. BTW thank you very much Mathijs for joining my thread.

I'd have some more questions if you allow.

If I change my HDD for 2 500GB SSDs, would this be enough space for OS and Sim? I thought about using a external HDD device for storage of downloads etc.

I'm thinking about a GeForce 1060, 6GB since the price jumps up pretty fast between 1060 and 1070, not to mention the 1070Ti. Would a Radeon graphics card be any good, too?

Again, thank you a lot!

Best wishes,

Nicolas 

vor 2 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

For P3D 4.3 I would focus mainly on the GPU. There are some good deals on second hand 1080's.

1Tb should be large enough for a very serious collection of sim add-ons!

Okay, I see. Since you mentioned 4.3, did 4.4 change the way the sim demands the GPU? Looked up some second hand 1080s and all of them are out of my price range, however, I found some quite good 1070s.

Thank you again!

• Aerosoft

Sorry, we are at 4.4 already, lol.

Yes and no. The use of PBR changed things a bit. It favors modern cards (or high-end cards that are older). I would really stay with the 1070 or 1080. The new 2060 is in my eye also a very good choice for a graphics card that needs to last 4 years. In speed, it is between the 1070 and 1080 and as Lockheed is very active implementing new technology (did I tell you we love these guys?) it far very possible they will include ray tracing.

11 hours ago, DLHAirbus321 said:

Okay, I see. Since you mentioned 4.3, did 4.4 change the way the sim demands the GPU? Looked up some second hand 1080s and all of them are out of my price range, however, I found some quite good 1070s.

Thank you again!

It seems like with every minor release Lockheed-Martin are implementing more GPU-side things (like dynamic lighting, and PBR) and now we're getting add-ons with dynamic rain effects and even bugs on the windscreen.  I agree with the others that 1070 or 1080 is the minimum I would want going forward -- and lean toward more graphics memory rather than less (i.e. if you have a choice between 6 GB card and 8 GB card, go with the 8 GB card.)  I say this with an eye toward what LM will do in the future, which we don't exactly know, but have a vague idea -- and gpu memory seems key particularly if you decide to go to a 4K display.

I don't know what the prices will be for the 2060 cards, but they might settle into a nice price-to-performance spot eventually.

I would not go for a RTX-2060, if ray tracing will be a serious option, the next generation or even the third generation of RTX cards will be already on the market with way suprerior ray tracing performance than this very first generation. You can look for a reasonable card when the time is ready for ray tracing. Buying hardware for the future or for future needs was never a very wise thing to do... Means: go for a GTX-1070/1080 and enjoy the increased performance and the advantage of 8GB VRAM here and now.

Wow, guys. First off thank you to all of you for the opinions, help and support shared. I'm not yet sure where to start really.

I looked up the upcoming RTX2060 and it comes with 6GB GDDR6, which leaves me with the opinion that a (maybe second hand) GTX1070 or 1080 might do better. On a sidenote, I actually found a first 2060 (PALIT) which is only 20€ cheaper (485,- to 504,-) than the cheapest 2070.

On 8.1.2019 at 16:14, Querer sagte:

Conerning CPU-overclocking, Querer, do you have any hints on what kind of cooling system might be a good one, especially concerning the price-to-value pov? Sorry for the silly question😂... aaand, I never dared thinking about overclocking, so I might need some kind of tutorial. Do you know any youtube tutorial about the subjct, maybe?

For now I thought about buying step by step. I need a new PC case and thought about buying the case and a better cooling facility first (there are some cases that come with cooling systems, what's your opinion of the Sharkoon TG5 for example)? Then the SSDs and then the new GPU (who knows maybe the market and prices are changing during the next months😀).

Again, thank you 1000 times for support and yes, Mathijs, I might have stumbled upon you telling us about your and Aerosoft's fondness of LM😄. I appreciate that, of course.

Best wishes,

Nicolas

You will find information for overclocking on the net, yes. The better the hardware in the YT Video or guide matches yours (especially in regard of the mainboard and used RAM), the easier it will be to perform the same steps. But to be honest, if you have no experience at all in overclocking, you might rather not do it. It needs some time and knowledge about what you actually adjust in your BIOS to perform the necessary testing steps for stability. It is in no way "dangerous", you can not do any harm to your processor.

Archived