Antarctica4XPlane - Antarctica Scenery for X-Plane

The antarctic adventures for X-Plane continue! First of all, I'd like to thank Aerosoft for the offer to host my Antarctica4XPlane terrain mesh sceneries for X-Plane as well as the official "info, discussion and support"-forum.

What is Antarctica4XPlane? A 3D visualization of the Antarctic continent, for use within the flight simulator X-Plane. It features a realistically shaped terrain model covered with a plausible texture set. The landscape is complemented with dozens of virtual research stations, base camps and airfields as an image of the real counterparts.

Please login to display this image.

A brief history! On 17th April 2015 Nino published the idea of a virtual Antarctica, searching for technical assistance. Inspired by Nino’s idea, I begun to develop first terrain models. In parallel, third-parties begun to develop virtual research stations, base camps and airfields. In December 2015 I was able to release part 1 of Antarctica4XPlane, covering the South Orkney Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. Followed in June 2016 by the release of part 2 of Antarctica4XPlane, covering Victoria Land and the northern parts of the Transantarctic Mountains. Since then, the terrain mesh scenery packages received annual updates and were complemented with new content. In January 2019, part 3 of Antarctica4XPlane was released: This latest part covers Coats Land and the western parts of Queen Maud Land.

Above links lead you to the download-options of the Antarctica4XPlane terrain meshes. Suitable add-ons (research stations, base camps and airfields) from third-parties, are listed on my website. I'm looking forward to your reviews and comments: Let's use this forum-thread for information, discussions and support around Antarctica4XPlane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

vor 2 Stunden , crusaderuk sagte:

where can I find the apt.dat for your Antartica4Xplane and the sceneries?

The mentioned apt.dat is provided for part 3, because for that part there are (yet) no custom add-ons available. It's linked on the download-page of part 3. Add-ons from third-parties for part 1+2 are listed on my website.

• 1 year later...

I've been flightsimming since SubLogic days and have had an overwhelming passion for all things below S60 for equally long, so your scenery, coupled with orthos on a vr setup, has been nothing short of the best fs experience I've ever had!  Thank you so very _very_ much for this extraordinary opportunity!!

I've been having enormous fun virtually following the BAS in RWDesign's twotter, and have even had the idea for doing a transpolar hop after having established my own virtual field camp in the environs of the Vinson Massif... unfortunately, your current packages don't cover this area... 'any chance that the meshes for this very interesting and geologically significant region might be given some attention?  As well, I wonder if there are yet higher resolution meshes available?  I have several tbs of space just waiting... :D  If there's anything I could do to lend a hand and help facilitate this then I'd be very eager to contribute.

In any event, many many thanks again for this tremendous experience!

ym

(n.b. I don't believe, and certainly don't know but would love to be better informed, that/if the BAS use floats on their twotters, but this pic is from this morning's run up the Gerlache Strait from Rothera to Signy, so the floats are a must for this scenario)

• Like 1

vor 22 Stunden , yvesmarie sagte:

Thank you so very _very_ much for this extraordinary opportunity!!

Thanks for your feedback. You're welcome! I'm happy to hear that you enjoy #Antarctica4XPlane 🙂

doing a transpolar hop after having established my own virtual field camp in the environs of the Vinson Massif... unfortunately, your current packages don't cover this area... 'any chance that the meshes for this very interesting and geologically significant region might be given some attention?

Well, the strategy in developing the terrain mesh was and is to build the terrain meshes there, where we already have add-ons from third-parties – or at least: where add-ons are planned. The Ellsworth Mountains were initially planned for part 4, but based on the current plans of add-on developers, it's more likely that we'll see two other regions first.

As well, I wonder if there are yet higher resolution meshes available? 

After the last A4XP update about a year ago, a new elevation model for Antarctica was published. It has the potential to improve the A4XP mesh, but not without a lot of extra-efforts – the dataset is full of artifacts and anomalies. Anyway, the idea is to improve at least the areas around existing and planned add-on sceneries.

To summarize: The further A4XP mesh-development depends on the plans of add-on developers. I'll keep you up-to-date.

• Like 1

That's all great to hear and it's very good to know that things are still alive and stewing away!  :)

Question: what are some of the third party addons for this area in current develoment?  On my home setup I've added things like the navaids at Rothera, scenery objects at View Point, Sky Blu, Fossil Bluff, etc... but so am wondering though if others are already doing this sort of detail work?

In any event, 'will be _very_ eagerly looking forward to further updates, & many thanks again!

ym

• 3 months later...

I can't download the sceneries: if I click on the download link I have a "forbidden - you cannot access on this server" page; the other links on aerosoft download section work. Tested both with Chrome and Edge. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

vor 21 Stunden , nessuno0505 sagte:

I can't download the sceneries: if I click on the download link I have a "forbidden - you cannot access on this server" page

Thanks for your feedback. According to the Aerosoft team: Maintenance. URL were updated and seem to work now.

Enjoy your exploration of Antarctica4XPlane.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, maps2xplane said:

I am still kinda confused on how to download the file. Can you give me a video or anything else so it can be easier for me? 

vor 3 Stunden , USAFRAF sagte:

I am still kinda confused on how to download the file.

No magic, just hit the Download-Buttons shared in the first posting in this thread. When the downloads are finished, extract the ZIP files.

vor 3 Stunden , USAFRAF sagte:

Can you give me a video or anything else so it can be easier for me? 

In the extracted folders you'll find a README.txt with installation instructions – quite simple, as usual: just drop the scenery into your "Custom Scenery" folder.

All available add-ons (airfields, research stations, base camps) are listed on this sub-site of my website. Enjoy #Antarctica4XPlane!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the excellent work for Antarctica. Inspired by it, I've prepared an airport scenery package for Antarctica. You can find and download it in the link below. Have fun!

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/66923-at-fictional-airport-package-for-antarctica-2020/

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
vor 2 Stunden , k.simpson sagte:

I tried to press the downloads button in this thread as well as on the scenery page and neither work. Both just open a new tab and then close that tab without downloading anything.

Please try these shortcuts. Just tried them, all them work fine for me:

Still issues? Then please check your security-settings or try another browser.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

are You planning to build some terrein around YWKS airport, because this airport is the only one you can plan ETOPS form continetal via simbrief and contains public charts ? Thanks anyway for great effort

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Samuelcv:

are You planning to build some terrein around YWKS airport,

Kaiser Wilhelm II Land, Queen Mary Land and the eastern parts of Wilkes Land were originally planned for Part 4. However, the development has been on hold for several months now. Due to several reasons. I can't say yet how the #Antarctica4XPlane project will continue... Anyway, I'll gladly sent you shortly an alpha version of part 4 via PM!

• 1 month later...

HOLA QUIERO BAJAR LAS MALLAS PERO NO DEJE EL SISTEMA PODRIA VOLVER A SUBORLO, GRACIAS.

85 / 5.000

Resultados de traducción

HELLO I WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE LEGGINGS BUT DO NOT LEAVE THE SYSTEM, I COULD UPLOAD IT AGAIN, THANKS

Am 5.4.2022 um 21:54 schrieb curso78:
Hello I want to download the Leggings but do not leave the system, I could upload it again, thanks

I'm not sure what specific issue you have...

Can you please describe your problem in more detail?!

Screenshots could also be helpful...

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hey there!

I was flying over antartica (I use this scenery, downlaod the three parts) above 37000ft. The scenery was loaded correctly but water can be easily visible. Im not sure it was the bug of this scenery or they way I set my graphic settings impact the scenery. Is there's a way I could fix that issue, thank you!

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Chayame21:

Im not sure it was the bug of this scenery

Please note that the three parts of Antarctica4XPlane do not cover the entire continent, only selected regions:

A4XP Part 1 (South Orkney Islands and Antarctic Peninsula):

A4XP Part 2 (Victoria Land and Transantarctic Mountains):

A4XP Part 3 (Coats Land and Queen Maud Land):

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Chayame21:

I was flying over antartica [...] above 37000ft

Regardless of the above hint concerning the coverage of Antarctica4XPlane, note that X-Plane only loads 4x3 mesh-tiles (measuring 1x1 degree each) around your location: Find on my website more info about this limiting behavior (and a workaround for high altitudes).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It's not clear for me if we can use Antarctica 1-2-3 in XP12 too. The same doubt for Antarctica4XPlane_Maps_v2

Can you explain something about this? Perhaps it will be a beautiful thing to create an entry in this forum

were speak about this amazing sceneries and XP12..... 

vor 59 Minuten schrieb paolozamp:

It's not clear for me if we can use Antarctica 1-2-3 in XP12 too. The same doubt for Antarctica4XPlane_Maps_v2

Can you explain something about this?

The Antarctica4XPlane-terrain meshes, as well as the mentioned map data for the XP default map, should also work in XP12! You may, however, encounter a few minor issues with the terrain mesh, in particular with the seabed and at the coasts, but basically the terrain meshes are compatible with XP12 (I may tackle some time in the future an dedicated XP12-update; if/when, that's not decided yet).