PBR for Lightnings?

Airtrooper

On 1/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, Airtrooper said:

The Lightning would make a fantastic subject for PBR textures in P3D v4.3... are upgrades being considered?

That would mean a whole new set of external models, for a start -- and they'd be P3Dv4.4 only.

In no sense an 'upgrade'.

Dave

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, Airtrooper said:

The Lightning would make a fantastic subject for PBR textures in P3D v4.3... are upgrades being considered?

Hi Airtrooper

According to the P3d forum   PBR is formatted into the texturing in  3ds max .   

The Lightning is built in Gmax … so I doubt if it will be possible … but I'll look into what is required.

Cheers

DR

One option is to export your Gmax models and load into Quixel (also happens to be discounted at the moment!), providing you happen to be a Photoshop user? This seems to be working well.

Lots of discussion and instruction here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/112316-PBR-Texturing-Introduction-to-3D-Workflow-in-Photoshop

Andy

• 1 month later...

I would definitely pay an upgrade fee for PBR lightnings and for the F6's so have the same shinny kind of textures as the T5.

I know Dino Cattaneo uses Gmax for his models and his typhoon is now with PBR.

14 minutes ago, DaleRFU said:

I would definitely pay an upgrade fee for PBR lightnings and for the F6's so have the same shinny kind of textures as the T5.

I know Dino Cattaneo uses Gmax for his models and his typhoon is now with PBR.

Guess I'll have to have a chat with Dino then:P

D

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys

These are some screen captures of the F3 converted to PBR with the standard textures for comparison  ( 111 sqn aircraft is PBR ).

To best compare download the pictures and arrange one on top of the other as a layer so you can turn the top layer on and off .

… So that answers the question can it be done  ! In fact anyone can  convert any and all aircraft (no artistic talent needed)....  Its pretty easy really albeit tedious . 

if anyone's interested I could put together a little tutorial .

Please login to display this image.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, wingman5 said:

Hi Guys

These are some screen captures of the F3 converted to PBR with the standard textures for comparison  ( 111 sqn aircraft is PBR ).

To best compare download the pictures and arrange one on top of the other as a layer so you can turn the top layer on and off .

… So that answers the question can it be done  ! In fact anyone can  convert any and all aircraft (no artistic talent needed)....  Its pretty easy really albeit tedious . 

if anyone's interested I could put together a little tutorial .

Hi Dave,

I've got a bit of time to try this out so I'll take you up on that tutorial if the offer still stands?

C.

6 hours ago, TheCameronPerson said:

Hi Dave,

I've got a bit of time to try this out so I'll take you up on that tutorial if the offer still stands?

C.

Hi Cameron

I must say I'm surprised  at how little interest  has been shown for PBR , but I'll put something together so you can have a play .

Dave

On 11/5/2019 at 7:32 AM, DaleRFU said:

Looks absolutely stunning 😍 I can imagine the T5 would look really good as I seem to remember you changed the materials for them too?

Hi Dale

Yes the textures and settings were upgraded for the T5/F6 models … all that is lost though switching to PBR .

here is a comparison , the first is  non PBR ( in fact it has a PBR missile) , second is PBR .

In my opinion non PBR is the better representation of aluminium in a screen capture , but dynamically in flight PBR is better with  the light play being more realistic .

but that isn't to say one of you guys might not hit on  better settings for better aluminium.

Paintwork on the other hand benefits all round with PBR , compare the missile with the T5 study I posted in the screenshot post.( must check my sim settings , these are not as sharp as previous shots !)

Dave

• 5 months later...

I have no idea how I missed this! I assumed there hadn't been any conversion done. Does this mean an updated model is available now?

FWIW IMO I don't think it is so much a lack of interest in PBR for the Lightning as a lack of awareness. I reckon if more people knew it was available more people would be buying and downloading it

Many thanks

Andy

2 hours ago, Airtrooper said:

I have no idea how I missed this! I assumed there hadn't been any conversion done. Does this mean an updated model is available now?

FWIW IMO I don't think it is so much a lack of interest in PBR for the Lightning as a lack of awareness. I reckon if more people knew it was available more people would be buying and downloading it

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

In my opinion PBR in P3d v4+ was flawed  at least for metal finishes ,  I  preferred the  standard metal finish , and as the conversion is simple enough ( but tedious as I would have to do all the aircraft ) , I made the tutorial so people could have a go themselves.

However  P3d V5 has much better PBR rendering so I'm looking to get them set up for that .

All the Lightnings do work well in V5  , and can be ported straight over . There is a minor issue with the Perspex transparency looking foggy ( easy fix ) and yet again the reheat  fx  has altered …. par for the course really :0)  LM just like to keep me busy.

Cheers

Dave

9 hours ago, wingman5 said:

However  P3d V5 has much better PBR rendering so I'm looking to get them set up for that .

An update for v5 would be very much appreciated please! :)

For me its not only about the PBR of the bare metal exterior (I like camouflage Lightnings just as much) but also the PBR inside the cockpit, such as plastic parts, material on the ejection seat etc. After all this is where the flying is done and realism the most important.

Archived