No smoke effects or contrails

jpcambre

I'm having trouble getting the smoke effects to work and I also noticed that there are no contrails at cruise.

I guess I might try a reinstall but I believe XMLTools is installed correctly. Everything else seems to function as normal.

I know there are specific conditions necessary for smoke but I am not seeing it at all at take off via an extra window.

• Developer

XMLTools isn't necessary for the smoke.  I just tested my 2.0 install (are you on P3D?) and I see smoke on takeoff.  The smoke effect is fairly subtle.  The earlier turbojet variants made a lot of smoke, but the fanjets in the 50 series produced less.

To see it clearly you need a light background such as blue sky or white cloud. If you pause the sim and rotate the external view a little you should be able to see it.  If not, let us know and I will look into it more. 

I checked a flight at cruise as well and I definitely have contrails. 

In the FSX/P3D graphics settings there are two sliders for effects.  Do you have one or both set all the way to zero? 

Weird now they are showing up. I guess it could have been weather conditions. But I was at FL 350 and the OAT was around -48C earlier and there were no contrails earlier.

Edit: I think I know what it was... I have Old Prop PrecipitFX installed. I re-ran it and it replaced the default effects entry in the aircraft.cfg for the DC-8. Apparently the old default effect wouldn't show up with PrecipitFX installed.

Archived