Cost Index tweaks

tbarker1989

The current cost index seems to be way off of how you would expect it to be.There isnt much change throughout different cost indexes. I have attached screenshots in the A321 which I believe it is the same thoughout the other buses. Sorry it was dark in my sim at the time of the screenshots. I believe it starts too high at a cost index of 1. I may be entirely wrong but I figured I would ask the question. Is this correct operations or no?

Please login to display this image.

It depends on a variety of variables including the type of engines used and the route you're flying (short verses long).  You're correct, there is not much difference, however Cost Index is really about fuel savings for multiple aircraft over the long haul.  Flight simmers sometimes use it merely for speed changes (often cruise level), but it's real purpose is far more involved and boils down to time verses fuel with even non-fuel operating costs being taken into consideration.

With the Airbus Pro aircraft configuration, the changes are indeed small.

Best wishes!

If the cost index is a value of CI= Ctime/Cfuel. then why is it not a gradual increase in the 0 to 99 cost index stratum? the difference between 0 to 40 is astronomical and 40 to 99 is very small? Shouldn't this be uniform across the board?

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 hours ago, AirbusCG said:

So we simply enter a different cruise wind to force it to fly faster.

Very naughty. ;) 

I do not have a problem with that. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that a cost index of 40 and above (on the 0 to 99 scale) will have an aircraft to climb at max forward airspeed every time. I talk to pilots for my job and most of the time they are at a climb profile of 300 to 270. I find it hard to believe that an aircraft is going to climb out at 340 knots(max forward airspeed) with a cost index of not even half of the scale. I was just testing it at multiple final cruise altitudes in the A321 and with a CI of 0 you get a managed speed of 294 whether your final is 230 or 370, this to me seems very high. No I have not put in any wind in my test.

Hello,

is there an average value, to put in the cost index ? Or is there a calculator similar to TPC.exe for the flex value and the V1 VR, V2. ?Generally i input 30 or 40..

Thanks. Michel.

A CI of 35 will provide you with Mach .78 at Cruise. .78 is pretty standard.

But zgain I'll say that real CI is about so much more than speed/fuel savings. Now, there are 2 new products coming out this year where true CI should be implemented, one of the is PMDGs Global Operations, but as far as just flying an aircraft, jt really only affects the fuel burn (which of course can relate to speed).

Best wishes!

hello Dave,

thank you. It seems effectively that 35 is an average CL. I had read that solution in some forum for aircraft simulator.

Michel.

1 hour ago, mtlt said:

hello Dave,

thank you. It seems effectively that 35 is an average CL. I had read that solution in some forum for aircraft simulator.

Michel.

Most welcome my friend!

Best wishes for Happy Flights!

Archived