P3D v4.4 CTD when loading sim

DagelijksGamer

Hi

At the time of the first crash, I was still using P3D v4.3.29.25520. I updated the Aerosoft Busses from v1.2.1.0 to v1.2.2.0 and hell broke loose.
Whenever I selected my aircraft and pressed "Start flight", the sim crashes. The AppCrash blames ucrtbase.dll.

I decided to upgrade to P3D v4.4, thinking that the latest update is a compatibility patch and is therefore only compatible with 4.4.16.27077.
No luck, Busses v1.2.1.0 and v1.2.2.0 both crash. I tried reinstalling the busses both in v4.3 and now on v4.4, but no results.

In the previews, all aircraft models and liveries load fine. Sometimes, the aircraft does load, but most of the time it crashes.

I have not been able to find why this is.

My PC setup is the following:

GTX 1080Ti

i7-7700K

ASUS Z270F

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi can you post the complete event viewer content, please?

What is the P3Dv4 install folder?

What is the addon install folder?

Have you tried to use default P3D settings (delete P3D cfg), if then the bus is loading?

Have you tried to disable all other addons (incl. traffic), if it is then loading?

Event viewer content

https://pastebin.com/Be5mrKyW

P3Dv4 install folder

D:\P3D v4\

Addon install folder

D:\P3D Addons\

Have you tried to use default P3D settings (delete P3D cfg), if then the bus is loading?

Yup, didn't work.

Have you tried to disable all other addons (incl. traffic), if it is then loading?

Good idea!
I found two entries of both the A318/9 and the A320/1, one that links to the Addon directly, and one to the .xml in the Documents. Why is this? (this isn't the problem, but I'm just curious)
At first attempt, it did work. When I changed livery, it crashed again. On a second attempt, it does work when changing the aircraft at the beginning. Now it works too when changing livery.

I'll re-enable addons one by one. Turns out some Indian scenery was the problem. Thanks!

1 hour ago, DagelijksGamer said:

At first attempt, it did work. When I changed livery, it crashed again. On a second attempt, it does work when changing the aircraft at the beginning. Now it works too when changing livery.

I'll re-enable addons one by one. Turns out some Indian scenery was the problem. Thanks!

It turns out that was not it. I tried turning on/off some other addons, but that doesn't change it. For now it only loads when I'm lucky.

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Can you please post your full system specs and screen shots of your P3D graphics settings?

Mobo: ASUS Z270F

CPU: i7-7700k @4.2GHz (no hyperthreading)

GPU: NVidia 1080Ti (no overclocking)

PSU: Corsair RM650x

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Hz DDR4

Cooling: Corsair H110i

SSD: Samsung 250GB 960 EVO

HDD: Western Digital 2000GB 5400RPM

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Additionally, are you running any custom/third party shaders?

Nope

Please login to display this image.

Hi,

I have exactly the same kind of problem after update 1.2.2.1. Some times the sim crashes just after loading the Airbus, sometimes I'm lucky and CTD comes after 5, 10, 15, etc, minutes after, but it will be the result anyway after some time (done about 10 test flights during last days). Not sure of course if this is same problem or not, but at least it sounds very similar.

I did some investigation, and last entries in ContentErrors.txt are:

[error.51]
error=Texture AB_WIPMASK_LFT.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

[error.52]
error=Texture AB_WIPMASK_RGT.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

Tried to find those files, but... There are only files named AB_WIPMASK_LFT.PNG and AB_WIPMASK_RGT.PNG in every simobjects/airplanes/aerosoft a3XX professional/trueglass/textures folders.

Can it be possible, that something has been changed in TrueGlass (= file formats) and pathing isn't correct in somewhere else anymore and that will cause the sim CTD?

• Aerosoft

Should not really cause an issue as these formats can be interchanged. It is, however, something we should explore. Stefan is back on Jan 15th and I'll ask him to provide the different formats.

The fact these are the same files for the other tens of thousands of customers who do NOT have the issue does not bode well, however.

Woohoo, it seems to work now.

Here's what I did: 

1) Convert the mentioned .png files (D:\P3D Addons\[Aircraft type]\SimObjects\Airplanes\[Aircraft type]\TrueGlass\Textures\AB_WIPMASK_LFT.DDS and AB_WIPMASK_RGT.DDS) to .dds files using aconvert.com

2) Pasted them in the folder. You only need to do this once, as the aforementioned files are identical in each folder. You can copy paste the .dds files directly to all folders.

3) Load sim, and enjoy the feeling of a working sim.

To Matthijs, It might be, but I don't see how DirectX would convert .dds files (which I assume come with the TrueGlass installer) to .png files?

Also, I think this thread is worth updating now. Stumbled upon it earlier.

Hi,

Great that you was able to get it work DagelijksGamer. I'm not so familiar with different graphics formats, so can you tell more specific to which file format you converted those files. I have no clue what is the difference between those:

I tried to do that with DXTbmp and chose the file type "DXT1 (no alpha)". Result: about 10 minutes after takeoff CTD and same ContentErrors.txt lines again:

[error.55]
error=Texture AB_WIPMASK_LFT.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

[error.56]
error=Texture AB_WIPMASK_RGT.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

Then the speculation part:

Could it be possible, that the CTD is caused by so called "mass effect" or "chain reaction". I mean, at least regarding to my experience you can't never get 100 % "clean" error log in P3D. Especially when many scenery, aircraft, etc. addons installed. For example in my sim, even the P3D default ground traffic vehicle Mitshubishi Pajero is writing some .cfg error lines to ContentErrors.txt. The fact is, that most of those errors are so called "normal" and those are not causing the sim crash. However, in certain conditions, can it be possible that different errors at the same time or too close this .DDS load failure are "too much", and the sim crashes. That could also explain why both of us got this CTD so randomly. Sometimes just after loading the flight and sometimes later after takeoff.

Some update for this issue. First of all, I was today able to fly full flight EDDT-LSZH without CTD. I had PNG->DDS converted TrueGlass texture files in use. However, when loading the Airbus, it will still write those same error lines to content error log. But this is only when loading the aircraft, not anymore during the flight.

During testing, I realized some other problems. It looks like the forward main windshield is not working how it should. I made some tests in a rainy condition and it looks like there are water drops on side window. The main windshield however looks like nothing. When accelerating, water drops on side window starts to move like they should, but fwd window is still like "empty".

Can it be possible, that there are something more broken in TrueGlass, that only those formats differences in texture files? There are also some other threads about TrueGlass and/or RealLight related issues on this forum. Could it be possible, that these different issues are at least mostly caused now by some same base reason in TrueGlass/RealLight?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this CTD. It started happening totally at random, before any update. Tried the above TrueGlass fix, to no avail. So I started looking for other odd-things out compared to the default config entries & texture files. I then realised that my aircraft type in the A318 for my VA's paintjob was showing as ui_type= A318-114 CFM in the CFG whereas the rest were 112. Changing it to 112 seemed to fix it (or it is a big coincidence).

Last time I flew the bus it had been working perfectly, so I have no idea why it suddenly had a fit. But all is fixed now.

• Secondator locked and unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish I would have looked at this earlier.  I've spent many many hours because of stutters and CTDs.  I updated to 4.4 and it seemed ok but didn't realize it until now that this is probably the issue I ran into.  I bought the Airbus product just after Xmas and a little after I loaded 4.4.  Flights got so bad with hesitations and then CTDs I finally got rid of 4.4 and went back to an image with 4.3 on it.  Then loaded 4.3 and had the same issue after loading the Airbus again but still didn't realize it.  I reloaded an earlier 4.3 image and everything has been fine, however, I haven't loaded the Airbus yet.  I was about ready to but thought I might check this forum.  Glad I did.  I'll wait until you have it fixed before I do.  Please let us know when it is resolved.  

Thank you DagelijksGamer for finding this.

Thank you Mathijs Kok for making sure this gets resolved.

System
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) 300 Series Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Desktop Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2   11GB GDDR5X Graphics card
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB  DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 
Intel SSD 600p Series (1.0TB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe 
WD Black 1TB Performance HD
WD Blue 4TB Hard Drive 
Windows 10 Pro 32-bit/64-bit 
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case
Alienware - AW2518H 25" LED FHD GSync Monitor
MasterLiquid 120 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA 750  80+ GOLD, 750W  PS
LITE-ON DVD Burner Black SATA
ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA

• Aerosoft

I am very sorry but there is nothing we can 'fix' in this. The code that crashes your system runs without doing so on tens of thousands of systems so it simply HAS to be something local on your disk. If your OS and your sim are without problems the Bus will run fine. I know that is always hard to accept for people but there simply is not a lot else we can say.

Let me tell you a story. We had a customer that had CTD's for months. We told him the same I told you but he insisted his system was fine, it could not be that it had to be the product. It turned out to be he lived 30 Km from my house so I told him I would bring an SSD, we would install win10 and P3d and the bus on his system and in exchange, he would cook for me. We had a lovely dinner as Win 10 was installing and getting updated. After dinner, while smoking cigars (had not done that in years!) we installed the sim and the bus. of course, it ran without problems. I have no idea what caused his issue but he bought the SSD from me and is a happy camper now.

Mathijs, thank you for the reply.  Are you saying the result of the meeting mentioned above has taken place and there is nothing that needs to be changed so I should be ok to try loading again?  'I now remember this issue. The way we did it is the only way to get them to work at this moment.  Stefan is back on the 15th and we can ask him for more information at that time'. 

And it should run on 4.3 without any issues?

Thank you,

• Aerosoft

The issue I discussed with Stefan was about a texture naming, like me he has no idea why something that works on every system except a few could be caused by this. As I say we are 100% sure the issue is a local one and a full refresh of your system will result in a working product.

Use P3d 4.4 though, not 4.3 The updates we are doing all need 4,4.

So... here is what possibly could be happening.  I know this is the case with Leonardo's MD-80 Series, but I suppose it could be different with the Airbus. Still, I think it's worth a shot.

When TrueLight and RealGlass are initially installed you get the version that was included with the Airbus.  But TFDi updates these products, and the only way I know to actually get the update is to run the TrueLight and RealGlass installers, which will then reach out over the Internet (so you have to allow them through your Firewall) and they will automatically download the latest version of these addons.  You don't have to reinstall the Airbus, just run the TrueLight and RealGlass installers.

It's worth a shot.

Ok, thanks so much.  I have so many add-ons it will take a while to do a full refresh.  I've been doing more troubleshooting than flying so I will probably fly for a while before attempting a full refresh.  I wish there was an easier way to do a full refresh.

Archived