Annual poll 2018: FSX still the most popular Flight Simulator

John Kunde

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Source: http://blog.navigraph.com/post/181243982766/flightsim-community-survey-2018-results

If you add 36 % (FSX) and 24% (FSX Steam Edition) you'll see, that FSX still is the most popular (from the most people used) flight simulator with approx. 60%,

followed by Prepar3d v4 and X-Plane 11 nose by nose with approx. 56% each.
For me this was one of the best news in 2018 and I'm happily waiting what 2019 will bring for us flight simmers.

Sorry if I understand anything incorrectly, but the article states more or less clearly that P3D is the most frequently used flight simulator. Also, you should not add all these percentages that way, you would get a number far about 100 per cent if I calculated correctly. In addition, I don't understand what is so good about using a 12 year old software? Computers have improved so much, so why not also the flight sim. Add ons just come to their limit with 32bit in 2018...

Just my opinion.😉

Anyway, interesting statistic!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Indeed, the "most of the time" numbers are the relevant ones, as they show what simulators are being used as primary ones. Of course there are still lots of users around keeping their old FSX and it "infrequently".

• Aerosoft

What the most popular sim is means very little for us. What sim people are willing to buy add-ons for means everything. Commercially FSX is dead. I understand that is hard to accept for many people but that's simply the fact. 

In my opinion it depends on your age, family status, personality and horizon, how often you are simming.
(I'm not sure if it is so positive to have no other hobbies than flight simming 😉 )
So I think this is not so important. If you are interested in the total number of potential customers, you have to look for the number of _all_ users. That means "most of the time", "frequently", "sometimes" and "infrequently" alltogether.
And if you are interested in the number of potential customers for photorealistic sceneries (new version of VFR Germany for example), you should have a look to the people with a wide horizon. If you understand what I mean 😉

• Deputy Sheriffs

John, for a commercial enterprise like Aerosoft, the key and by far the most relevant factor as Mathijs noted is customers who are likely to buy new add-ons. By far Aerosoft's research shows that for users of FSX/FSX:SE, they already have most if not all the add-ons they'll ever buy for that platform. Therefore, they may be potential customers but are not likely customers. It's not about what people use, but what they will buy next. With the 32 bit limitations of FSX/FSX:SE, an expanded and updated product like a new VFR Germany isn't worth the development costs compared to doing the same thing for a 64 bit platform. It would just push the problems people have now in FSX/FSX:SE with higher end aircraft hitting the performance wall at highly detailed airports out to much more of the scenery area.

Anyway, your point is clearly made as is Aerosoft's. Thank you for sharing this with the community, but to avoid this subject becoming heated by others, it's best to close it.

• Herman locked this topic
  • Aerosoft
35 minutes ago, John Kunde said:

And if you are interested in the number of potential customers for photorealistic sceneries (new version of VFR Germany for example), you should have a look to the people with a wide horizon. If you understand what I mean 😉

I am sorry, I do not understand. We are not looking for people with a wide horizon, we are looking for people who are willing to buy add-ons for a 12-year-old simulator. Now while there are for sure some, there are just not enough to do a new version of VFR Germany, a project that costs a bloody fortune in licenses. In the end, it is all a useless discussion as we got our own sales data and our own market research and decided it simply does not make commercial sense for almost all product ranges to do a 32 but version. 

Apart from the fact, there are no customers, we also feel the customers who are around would not be happy with a castrated P3D V4 scenery. To make it work in FSX it needs to be simplified, dynamic lighting needs to be removed, textures flattened etc etc. It would look like a 10-year-old product. We have a lot of those, by far the largest collection of any developer/publisher. 

Archived